forge communications install failure on Mac: missing octave/config.h

forge communications install failure on Mac: missing octave/config.h

apjanke-floss
Hi, Octave maintainers,

I'm having trouble installing the Forge communications package on macOS.
Affects 4.4.1 and 5.1.0. Happens in both Octave.app and a vanilla Octave.

Looks like the problem is that communications wants to use the
octave/config.h header file, but it's not present in the Octave
installation.

>> pkg install -forge communications
[...]
In file included from galoisfield.cc:21:
./galois.h:24:10: fatal error: 'octave/config.h' file In file included
from notgalois-def.cc :found21:

./galois.h:24:10: fatal error: 'octave/config.h' file not found
#include <octave/config.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#include <octave/config.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
galois.cc:21:10: fatal error: 'octave/config.h' file not found
#include <octave/config.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
1 error generated.
make: *** [galois-def.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** [galoisfield.o] Error 1
1 error generated.
make: *** [galois.o] Error 1
cyclgen.cc:32:17: warning: 'length' is deprecated
[-Wdeprecated-declarations]
  int x_len = x.length ();

[/Applications/Octave-4.4.1.app/Contents/Resources/usr/Cellar/octave-octave-app@4.4.1/4.4.1]
$ find . -name config.h
[/Applications/Octave-4.4.1.app/Contents/Resources/usr/Cellar/octave-octave-app@4.4.1/4.4.1]
$

Does something special need to be done to get the Octave build process
to install octave/config.h? Or is this maybe a bug in the build system?
Or should packages not be using octave/config.h?

Original user report: https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/issues/35

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: forge communications install failure on Mac: missing octave/config.h

On 12/2/19 5:06 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:

> Hi, Octave maintainers,
>
> I'm having trouble installing the Forge communications package on macOS.
> Affects 4.4.1 and 5.1.0. Happens in both Octave.app and a vanilla Octave.
>
> Looks like the problem is that communications wants to use the
> octave/config.h header file, but it's not present in the Octave
> installation.
>
> [...]
 >
> Does something special need to be done to get the Octave build process
> to install octave/config.h? Or is this maybe a bug in the build system?
> Or should packages not be using octave/config.h?

The config.h file generated by autoconf is intentionally not installed.
If you need info about octave configuration, there is octave-config.h
which is installed.  If you need the info about OS features that is
found in config.h, you need to do your own configuration and generate
your own config.h file appropriate for your source files and build system.

For the communications package specifically, I would start by looking at
the patches for it that are part of mxe-octave.  I expect they already
deal with most build issues that you are seeing when trying to build it
with a current version of Octave.

Re: forge communications install failure on Mac: missing octave/config.h

siko1056

On 12/3/19 10:28 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 12/2/19 5:06 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:
>> Hi, Octave maintainers,
>>
>> I'm having trouble installing the Forge communications package on macOS.
>> Affects 4.4.1 and 5.1.0. Happens in both Octave.app and a vanilla Octave.
>>
>> Looks like the problem is that communications wants to use the
>> octave/config.h header file, but it's not present in the Octave
>> installation.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Does something special need to be done to get the Octave build process
>> to install octave/config.h? Or is this maybe a bug in the build system?
>> Or should packages not be using octave/config.h?
>
> The config.h file generated by autoconf is intentionally not installed.
> If you need info about octave configuration, there is octave-config.h
> which is installed.  If you need the info about OS features that is
> found in config.h, you need to do your own configuration and generate
> your own config.h file appropriate for your source files and build system.
>
> For the communications package specifically, I would start by looking at
> the patches for it that are part of mxe-octave.  I expect they already
> deal with most build issues that you are seeing when trying to build it
> with a current version of Octave.
>
> jwe

Andrew, did you apply John Donoghue's patches from bug #46521 [1]?  I
think many of those config.h issues are addressed there.  If you install
the "vanilla" release from 2015, this might not work.

Best,
Kai

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46521

On 12/2/19 9:59 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> On 12/3/19 10:28 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 12/2/19 5:06 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:
>>> Hi, Octave maintainers,
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble installing the Forge communications package on macOS.
>>> Affects 4.4.1 and 5.1.0. Happens in both Octave.app and a vanilla Octave.
>>>
>>> Looks like the problem is that communications wants to use the
>>> octave/config.h header file, but it's not present in the Octave
>>> installation.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Does something special need to be done to get the Octave build process
>>> to install octave/config.h? Or is this maybe a bug in the build system?
>>> Or should packages not be using octave/config.h?
>> The config.h file generated by autoconf is intentionally not installed.
>> If you need info about octave configuration, there is octave-config.h
>> which is installed.  If you need the info about OS features that is
>> found in config.h, you need to do your own configuration and generate
>> your own config.h file appropriate for your source files and build system.
>>
>> For the communications package specifically, I would start by looking at
>> the patches for it that are part of mxe-octave.  I expect they already
>> deal with most build issues that you are seeing when trying to build it
>> with a current version of Octave.
>>
>> jwe
>>

> Andrew, did you apply John Donoghue's patches from bug #46521 [1]?  I
> think many of those config.h issues are addressed there.  If you install
> the "vanilla" release from 2015, this might not work.
>
> Best,
> Kai
>
> [1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46521
I'm not familiar with mxe-octave or the patches from that bug. I'll
start there. Thanks!

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: forge communications install failure on Mac: missing octave/config.h

apjanke-floss

On 12/2/19 9:59 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> On 12/3/19 10:28 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 12/2/19 5:06 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:
>>> Hi, Octave maintainers,
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble installing the Forge communications package on macOS.
>>> Affects 4.4.1 and 5.1.0. Happens in both Octave.app and a vanilla Octave.
>>>
>>> Looks like the problem is that communications wants to use the
>>> octave/config.h header file, but it's not present in the Octave
>>> installation.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Does something special need to be done to get the Octave build process
>>> to install octave/config.h? Or is this maybe a bug in the build system?
>>> Or should packages not be using octave/config.h?
>> The config.h file generated by autoconf is intentionally not installed.
>> If you need info about octave configuration, there is octave-config.h
>> which is installed.  If you need the info about OS features that is
>> found in config.h, you need to do your own configuration and generate
>> your own config.h file appropriate for your source files and build system.
>>
>> For the communications package specifically, I would start by looking at
>> the patches for it that are part of mxe-octave.  I expect they already
>> deal with most build issues that you are seeing when trying to build it
>> with a current version of Octave.
>>
>> jwe
>>

> Andrew, did you apply John Donoghue's patches from bug #46521 [1]?  I
> think many of those config.h issues are addressed there.  If you install
> the "vanilla" release from 2015, this might not work.
>
> Best,
> Kai

I didn't, and now that I've looked in to this, ... wow, this is pretty
complicated. I think I'm going to hold off on working with
"communications" until I better understand how Octave packages in
general work.

Cheers,
Andrew