format compact ?

Muzaffer Kal-2
hi,
I am trying to run some matlab files about fractional delay filters and I am
having some difficulty. I built and installed 2.0.13 and it seems to work
but when I run the matlab file, I get an error on the following line in the
.m file

format compact

'rror: format: unrecognized format state 'compact
error: evaluating indexexpression near line 101, column 1

the format compact statement in on line 101 and yes the first error is
exactly as I typed. E is missing and there is single quote character. Is
this a bug? I don't know much about matlab, what does format compact mean  ?
If I comment it out, here is what I get:

the line in question is this:
        apvec(i,:)= ap;

the error is
error: A(I, J) = X: X must be a scalar or the number of elements in I .....

any idea what's going on ? If anyone is interested here is the url to the
matlab files:

http://www.hut.fi/HUT/Acoustics/fdtools.zip

the file I am running is fdap2.m

thanks for any and all help,

Muzaffer

format compact ?

John W. Eaton-6
On  1-Sep-1998, Muzaffer Kal <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I am trying to run some matlab files about fractional delay filters and I am
| having some difficulty. I built and installed 2.0.13 and it seems to work
| but when I run the matlab file, I get an error on the following line in the
| .m file
|
| format compact
|
| 'rror: format: unrecognized format state 'compact
| error: evaluating indexexpression near line 101, column 1

I have no idea why this would fail on your system (whatever it might
be) if you are using 2.0.13.  It works for me.

| If I comment it out, here is what I get:
|
| the line in question is this:
| apvec(i,:)= ap;
|
| the error is
| error: A(I, J) = X: X must be a scalar or the number of elements in I .....

Commenting out the format compact statement shouldn't have any effect
on this.  To debug this problem requires more information.  What are
the sizes of apvec and ap, and what is the value of i in that
statemnt?  What is the value of the built-in variable
do_fortran_indexing?  (If it is nonzero, the patch at
http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/mailing-lists/bug-octave/1998/324 might
help, but I don't really have enough information, so I'm just
guessing.)

jwe