fscanf in octave for cygnus b18?

Adam Taylor-3
Folks,

Recently I compiled octave 2.0.9 for cygwin b18.  Unfortunately, I now
discover that I cannot get the octave fscanf function to do anything but
report that EOF has been reached.  I tried Mumit Khan's binary, and got
one of these:

(c:\software\gnu\bin\octave-2.0.9.exe 1064) In cygwin_except_handler exc
C0000005 at 4FF3B3 sp 321E694
error: EMT instruction -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete

The code is:

dataFID = fopen("retzius-dcc-chopped.unix.txt","r");
data = fscanf(dataFID,"%f");

and retzius-dcc-chopped.unix.txt looks like this:

0 -51.5625  0.0732422
5e-4  -51.5137  0.0732422
0.001 -51.3672  0.0732422
0.0015  -51.5137  0.0683594
0.002 -51.5625  0.0683594
0.0025  -51.5625  0.0732422
0.003 -51.6602  0.078125
0.0035  -51.6113  0.0927734
0.004 -51.6602  0.0976563
0.0045  -51.6113  0.102539
0.005 -51.4648  0.0927734
0.0055  -51.6602  0.0927734
0.006 -51.5625  0.0976563
0.0065  -51.5625  0.0878906
0.007 -51.7578  0.0878906
0.0075  -51.7578  0.0830078
0.008 -51.8066  0.0732422
0.0085  -51.709 0.078125
0.009 -51.7578  0.0878906
0.0095  -51.8066  0.0927734

All of this is using b18 nt4 sp3.  Is this a well-known problem,
(octave's) fscanf not working under NT/cygnus?

Adam

Re: fscanf in octave for cygnus b18?

Adam Taylor-3
Folks,

Okay, I just downloaded the precompiled binary from the Octave site,
followed the directions, and I don't get this problem.  I guess I can
just use the precompiled version, but can anyone suggest where I might
be going wrong in compiling it?  I'm using f2c, instead of g77.  Also, I
ignored the part of the README where it warns about a conflict between
string.h's.  Could this be a manifestation of that problem?

Adam

-----
Adam Taylor wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Recently I compiled octave 2.0.9 for cygwin b18.  Unfortunately, I now
> discover that I cannot get the octave fscanf function to do anything but
> report that EOF has been reached.  I tried Mumit Khan's binary, and got
> one of these:
>
> (c:\software\gnu\bin\octave-2.0.9.exe 1064) In cygwin_except_handler exc
> C0000005 at 4FF3B3 sp 321E694
> error: EMT instruction -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
> save to `octave-core' complete
>
> The code is:
>
> dataFID = fopen("retzius-dcc-chopped.unix.txt","r");
> data = fscanf(dataFID,"%f");
>
> and retzius-dcc-chopped.unix.txt looks like this:
>
> 0 -51.5625  0.0732422
> 5e-4  -51.5137  0.0732422
> 0.001 -51.3672  0.0732422
> 0.0015  -51.5137  0.0683594
> 0.002 -51.5625  0.0683594
> 0.0025  -51.5625  0.0732422
> 0.003 -51.6602  0.078125
> 0.0035  -51.6113  0.0927734
> 0.004 -51.6602  0.0976563
> 0.0045  -51.6113  0.102539
> 0.005 -51.4648  0.0927734
> 0.0055  -51.6602  0.0927734
> 0.006 -51.5625  0.0976563
> 0.0065  -51.5625  0.0878906
> 0.007 -51.7578  0.0878906
> 0.0075  -51.7578  0.0830078
> 0.008 -51.8066  0.0732422
> 0.0085  -51.709 0.078125
> 0.009 -51.7578  0.0878906
> 0.0095  -51.8066  0.0927734
>
> All of this is using b18 nt4 sp3.  Is this a well-known problem,
> (octave's) fscanf not working under NT/cygnus?
>
> Adam

Re: fscanf in octave for cygnus b18?

John W. Eaton-6
On 11-Mar-1998, Adam Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Okay, I just downloaded the precompiled binary from the Octave site,
| followed the directions, and I don't get this problem.  I guess I can
| just use the precompiled version, but can anyone suggest where I might
| be going wrong in compiling it?  I'm using f2c, instead of g77.  Also, I
| ignored the part of the README where it warns about a conflict between
| string.h's.  Could this be a manifestation of that problem?

I don't have a clue.

The binary on the Octave ftp site was cross-compiled from Linux using
egcs and a recent binutils snapshot.  Since I was using egcs, I used
g77.

jwe