funds to UW trust

Stéfan van der Walt
Is there a website showing the contributions made to the UW fund for
Octave development and how they are being spent?

Regards
Stefan

funds to UW trust

John W. Eaton-6
On  4-Oct-2004, Stefan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Is there a website showing the contributions made to the UW fund for
| Octave development and how they are being spent?

No, I have not made a page that shows this information.  Here is a
summary of the contributions since we started accepting them:

        total   number of
  year   amt   contributors
  ----  -----  ------------
  1999  $ 451       7
  2000     75       1
  2001     50       1
  2002   1030       5
  2003   1904       7
  2004   1546       4
         ====
         5056

Included in this sum is $1600 (2 contributions) from a professional
society and more than $800 from the sale of Octave manuals ($1 per
manual sold) by Network Theory Ltd.

The contributions go into a pool of unrestricted funds used by the
research group that I work for and may be used to pay salaries,
travel expenses, or make equipment purchases.

Re: funds to UW trust

Keith Goodman
I bet the (US) government (directly and indirectly) spends millions on
Matlab. A small government grant to Octave now could pay off
handsomely in the future.

Is Octave something that the NSF would support? (They probably already
do---at least indirectly.)

On a separate note, we could raise funds and awareness by creating
T-shirts, mugs, and caps at http://www.cafepress.com. Who wouldn't
want to attend a free Matlab seminar with an Octave cap on?

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:29:14 -0400, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On  4-Oct-2004, Stefan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Is there a website showing the contributions made to the UW fund for
> | Octave development and how they are being spent?
>
> No, I have not made a page that shows this information.  Here is a
> summary of the contributions since we started accepting them:
>
>         total   number of
>   year   amt   contributors
>   ----  -----  ------------
>   1999  $ 451       7
>   2000     75       1
>   2001     50       1
>   2002   1030       5
>   2003   1904       7
>   2004   1546       4
>          ====
>          5056
>
> Included in this sum is $1600 (2 contributions) from a professional
> society and more than $800 from the sale of Octave manuals ($1 per
> manual sold) by Network Theory Ltd.
>
> The contributions go into a pool of unrestricted funds used by the
> research group that I work for and may be used to pay salaries,
> travel expenses, or make equipment purchases.
>
> jwe

Re: funds to UW trust

John W. Eaton-6
On  6-Oct-2004, Keith Goodman <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Is Octave something that the NSF would support? (They probably already
| do---at least indirectly.)

Yes, our research group has been supported by the NSF in the past and
my salary has been paid in part by these grants (typically to provide
computational support for other projects).  But I don't think that we
have received NSF funding specifically for the development of Octave.

Re: funds to UW trust

John W. Eaton-6
On  6-Oct-2004, Keith Goodman <[hidden email]> wrote:

| On a separate note, we could raise funds and awareness by creating
| T-shirts, mugs, and caps at http://www.cafepress.com. Who wouldn't
| want to attend a free Matlab seminar with an Octave cap on?

Doing things like this would be fine and all contributions are
appreciated.  But realistically, to make a substantial difference we
need to be raising hundreds of thousands of dollars each year.  Unless
the numbers are that large, we will have to continue to rely on
volunteer efforts and the generosity of my employer, who continues to
raise money for my salary and who is willing to allow me to spend much
of my time working on Octave.

BTW, it was nice of Paul Kienzle to point out that I had been
mentioned as an "unsung hero" of free software, but I feel I must
point out that without the help of Jim Rawlings, my long-time
supervisor (18+ years now, including time as my graduate thesis
advisor), Octave would probably not exist.  As the preface of the
Octave manual says, he was responsible for suggesting that we write
some software to support a textbook that he was planning to write and
he has secured nearly all of the funding that has paid for my work on
the project.  I'm certain that very few people who are using Octave
realize how important his contribution has been.

jwe