[generate_html] Does anybody use generate_alphabet ?

[generate_html] Does anybody use generate_alphabet ?

jbect
Hello all,

Does anybody use generate_alphabet (from the generate_html package) ?

This function is "public" (i.e., not in the private directory) but has
no documentation (not even a one-liner) and is missing from the INDEX.

I am not sure about what it supposed to do... My guess : it was used at
some point to generate html pages for the alphabetical documentation of
the OF site, but it isn't used any more (these pages are generated
dynamically by functions_by_alpha.php, if I understand correctly).

If my guess is correct, I will remove this function from the next
release of the package.

Please tell  me if I'm wrong.

@++
Julien

Re: [generate_html] Does anybody use generate_alphabet ?

Søren Hauberg
Den 15-03-2015 kl. 20:48 skrev Julien Bect:

> Does anybody use generate_alphabet (from the generate_html package) ?
>
> This function is "public" (i.e., not in the private directory) but has
> no documentation (not even a one-liner) and is missing from the INDEX.
>
> I am not sure about what it supposed to do... My guess : it was used
> at some point to generate html pages for the alphabetical
> documentation of the OF site, but it isn't used any more (these pages
> are generated dynamically by functions_by_alpha.php, if I understand
> correctly).
>
> If my guess is correct, I will remove this function from the next
> release of the package.
>
> Please tell  me if I'm wrong.
It was indeed used for the alphabetical list. I do not recall if it is
still in use (i.e. it might generate the database which is searched by
'functions_by_alpha.php', but I don't remember anymore).

I think the function can be dropped, but this is based on very vague
memories (sorry that I can't be more specific).

Cheers
Søren

Le 16/03/2015 08:47, Søren Hauberg a écrit :

> Den 15-03-2015 kl. 20:48 skrev Julien Bect:
>> Does anybody use generate_alphabet (from the generate_html package) ?
>>
>> This function is "public" (i.e., not in the private directory) but
>> has no documentation (not even a one-liner) and is missing from the
>>
>> I am not sure about what it supposed to do... My guess : it was used
>> at some point to generate html pages for the alphabetical
>> documentation of the OF site, but it isn't used any more (these pages
>> are generated dynamically by functions_by_alpha.php, if I understand
>> correctly).
>>
>> If my guess is correct, I will remove this function from the next
>> release of the package.
>>
>> Please tell  me if I'm wrong.
> It was indeed used for the alphabetical list. I do not recall if it is
> still in use (i.e. it might generate the database which is searched by
> 'functions_by_alpha.php', but I don't remember anymore).

No, these files are generated by generate_package_html using the private
function get_alpha_database.

> I think the function can be dropped, but this is based on very vague
> memories (sorry that I can't be more specific).

Thank you for your answer.  I will wait for Carnë to confirm that it
isn't used and then drop it.

@++
Julien

Re: [generate_html] Does anybody use generate_alphabet ?

Carnë Draug
On 16 March 2015 at 08:25, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 16/03/2015 08:47, Søren Hauberg a écrit :
>>
>> Den 15-03-2015 kl. 20:48 skrev Julien Bect:
>>>
>>> Does anybody use generate_alphabet (from the generate_html package) ?
>>>
>>> This function is "public" (i.e., not in the private directory) but has no
>>> documentation (not even a one-liner) and is missing from the INDEX.
>>>
>>> I am not sure about what it supposed to do... My guess : it was used at
>>> some point to generate html pages for the alphabetical documentation of the
>>> OF site, but it isn't used any more (these pages are generated dynamically
>>> by functions_by_alpha.php, if I understand correctly).
>>>
>>> If my guess is correct, I will remove this function from the next release
>>> of the package.
>>>
>>> Please tell  me if I'm wrong.
>>

>> I think the function can be dropped, but this is based on very vague
>> memories (sorry that I can't be more specific).
>
> Thank you for your answer.  I will wait for Carnë to confirm that it isn't
> used and then drop it.

I don't think I have ever made use of that function. If it is not
useful anymore,
I think it can go.

Carnë

Le 16/03/2015 11:24, Carnë Draug a écrit :
> On 16 March 2015 at 08:25, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Le 16/03/2015 08:47, Søren Hauberg a écrit :
>>> I think the function can be dropped, but this is based on very vague
>>> memories (sorry that I can't be more specific).
>> Thank you for your answer.  I will wait for Carnë to confirm that it isn't
>> used and then drop it.
> I don't think I have ever made use of that function. If it is not
> useful anymore,
> I think it can go.

Ok, it's gone !

http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/generate_html/ci/7651bc680608ffee818b5cae0c9a97396bb1d9da/