generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Julien Bect
Hello all,

Could anybody please explain to me the purpose of the texi2html and generate_html_manual functions in the generate_html package ?

texi2html: The documentation is a simple copy-paste of the documentation of html_help_text. Even the code is very similar to a subset of html_help_text. The only place where it is called inside the package is in generate_html_manual.

generate_html_manual: There is no documentation, and it is no called anywhere from within the package.

Is anybody on this list acutually using any of these two functions ?

@++
Julien


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Søren Hauberg
The 'generate_html_manual' function used to generate a HTML version of
the Octave manual :-) The Octave-Forge web site used to have a version
of the manual which integrated nicely with the rest of the site (unlike
the manual on the octave.org web site). This function generates such a
collection of HTML files.

I guess the reason why the function has no documentation is lack of
time, but I think the name of the function is fairly self-explanatory.

I don't remember the details of 'texi2html' vs 'html_help_text', my
guess is that the manual required a slightly different set of hacks to
generate than the function documentations, but I'm not sure.

Søren

Den 27-08-2014 kl. 21:44 skrev Julien Bect:

> Hello all,
>
> Could anybody please explain to me the purpose of the texi2html and
> generate_html_manual functions in the generate_html package ?
>
> texi2html: The documentation is a simple copy-paste of the documentation
> of html_help_text. Even the code is very similar to a subset of
> html_help_text. The only place where it is called inside the package is
> in generate_html_manual.
>
> generate_html_manual: There is no documentation, and it is no called
> anywhere from within the package.
>
> Is anybody on this list acutually using any of these two functions ?
>
> @++
> Julien
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Julien Bect
Le 28/08/2014 07:52, Søren Hauberg a écrit :
> The 'generate_html_manual' function used to generate a HTML version of
> the Octave manual :-) The Octave-Forge web site used to have a version
> of the manual which integrated nicely with the rest of the site
> (unlike the manual on the octave.org web site). This function
> generates such a collection of HTML files.

Hello Søren,

Thank you for your answer. I understand now.

You say "used to" but actually there is still such a manual online on
the Octave Forge web site:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/octave/overview.html

It's not exactly up-to-date however (generated for 3.8.0, or so it seems
since the pages are dated from 2014, January 13).

@++
Julien


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Carnë Draug
On 28 August 2014 22:36, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 28/08/2014 07:52, Søren Hauberg a écrit :
>
>> The 'generate_html_manual' function used to generate a HTML version of the
>> Octave manual :-) The Octave-Forge web site used to have a version of the
>> manual which integrated nicely with the rest of the site (unlike the manual
>> on the octave.org web site). This function generates such a collection of
>> HTML files.
>
>
> Hello Søren,
>
> Thank you for your answer. I understand now.
>
> You say "used to" but actually there is still such a manual online on the
> Octave Forge web site:
>
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/octave/overview.html
>
> It's not exactly up-to-date however (generated for 3.8.0, or so it seems
> since the pages are dated from 2014, January 13).

The Octave functions don't change between patch releases, only on
minor release so I only update this when 3.6, 3.8, etc get released.

Carnë

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Julien Bect
Le 29/08/2014 00:45, Carnë Draug a écrit :
On 28 August 2014 22:36, Julien Bect [hidden email] wrote:
Le 28/08/2014 07:52, Søren Hauberg a écrit :

The 'generate_html_manual' function used to generate a HTML version of the
Octave manual :-) The Octave-Forge web site used to have a version of the
manual which integrated nicely with the rest of the site (unlike the manual
on the octave.org web site). This function generates such a collection of
HTML files.

Hello Søren,

Thank you for your answer. I understand now.

You say "used to" but actually there is still such a manual online on the
Octave Forge web site:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/octave/overview.html

It's not exactly up-to-date however (generated for 3.8.0, or so it seems
since the pages are dated from 2014, January 13).
The Octave functions don't change between patch releases, only on
minor release so I only update this when 3.6, 3.8, etc get released.

There doc fixes in several functions, though :)

(including : waitforbuttonpress.m, sparse.cc, cellfun.cc ...)

Wouldn't it be clearer to let Octave's version number appear on the generated HTML pages ?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Carnë Draug
On 29 August 2014 06:54, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 29/08/2014 00:45, Carnë Draug a écrit :
>> On 28 August 2014 22:36, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Le 28/08/2014 07:52, Søren Hauberg a écrit :
>>>>
>>>> The 'generate_html_manual' function used to generate a HTML version of the
>>>> Octave manual :-) The Octave-Forge web site used to have a version of the
>>>> manual which integrated nicely with the rest of the site (unlike the manual
>>>> on the octave.org web site). This function generates such a collection of
>>>> HTML files.
>>>>
>>>> Hello Søren,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your answer. I understand now.
>>>
>>> You say "used to" but actually there is still such a manual online on the
>>> Octave Forge web site:
>>>
>>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/octave/overview.html
>>>
>>> It's not exactly up-to-date however (generated for 3.8.0, or so it seems
>>> since the pages are dated from 2014, January 13).
>>
>> The Octave functions don't change between patch releases, only on
>> minor release so I only update this when 3.6, 3.8, etc get released.
>
>
> There doc fixes in several functions, though :)
>
> (including : waitforbuttonpress.m, sparse.cc, cellfun.cc ...)
>
> Wouldn't it be clearer to let Octave's version number appear on the
> generated HTML pages ?

I just tried to rebuild the Octave core functions documentation with
3.8.2 but for some weird reason it is not creating the last image of
each demo. I'll have to come back to this sometime later.

Carnë

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Julien Bect-3
Le 02/09/2014 15:27, Carnë Draug a écrit :
> I just tried to rebuild the Octave core functions documentation with
> 3.8.2 but for some weird reason it is not creating the last image of
> each demo. I'll have to come back to this sometime later.
>
> Carnë

Hello Carnë,

Could you tell me a little more on this issue ?  (and perhaps start a
bug report related to the generate_html package, to continue the
discussion there ?)

I will try to run generate_html_manual (latest dev version of
generate_html package) on the latest Octave sources (default branch).
Can you give me an example of a function where you fail to get the last
image of the demo ?

@++
Julien

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Carnë Draug
On 27 February 2015 at 13:03, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 02/09/2014 15:27, Carnë Draug a écrit :
>>
>> I just tried to rebuild the Octave core functions documentation with 3.8.2
>> but for some weird reason it is not creating the last image of each demo.
>> I'll have to come back to this sometime later.
>>
>> Carnë
>
>
> Hello Carnë,
>
> Could you tell me a little more on this issue ?  (and perhaps start a bug
> report related to the generate_html package, to continue the discussion
> there ?)
>
> I will try to run generate_html_manual (latest dev version of generate_html
> package) on the latest Octave sources (default branch). Can you give me an
> example of a function where you fail to get the last image of the demo ?
>

I really don't remember what the issue was. I don't even remember having that
problem anymore, but from the sound of it, sounds like I just didn't bother
updating the documentation for 3.8.2 (the change between 3.8.1 and 3.8.2
would likely not affect the documentation anyway).

Carnë

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Julien Bect-3
Le 27/02/2015 14:55, Carnë Draug a écrit :

> On 27 February 2015 at 13:03, Julien Bect
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Le 02/09/2014 15:27, Carnë Draug a écrit :
>>> I just tried to rebuild the Octave core functions documentation with
>>> 3.8.2 but for some weird reason it is not creating the last image of
>>> each demo. I'll have to come back to this sometime later. Carnë
>> Hello Carnë, Could you tell me a little more on this issue ? (and
>> perhaps start a bug report related to the generate_html package, to
>> continue the discussion there ?) I will try to run
>> generate_html_manual (latest dev version of generate_html package) on
>> the latest Octave sources (default branch). Can you give me an
>> example of a function where you fail to get the last image of the demo ?
> I really don't remember what the issue was. I don't even remember
> having that problem anymore, but from the sound of it, sounds like I
> just didn't bother updating the documentation for 3.8.2 (the change
> between 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 would likely not affect the documentation anyway).

Sure, I know that you didn't update the doc, and yes, there aren't many
changes in the doc between 3.8.1 and 3.8.1, so it isn't a big deal.

But aren't we going to update the online documentation (the one on
Octave Forge, I mean) when 4.0 is released ?

If we do, it means that the problem (if there is one) needs to be fixed.

I would like to fix it before making a new release of generate_html.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

jbect
Le 27/02/2015 18:39, Julien Bect a écrit :
> there aren't many changes in the doc between 3.8.1 and 3.8.1

between 3.8.1 and *3.8.2* of course...

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: generate_html package : texi2html and generate_html_manual functions

Carnë Draug
In reply to this post by Julien Bect-3
On 27 February 2015 at 17:39, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 27/02/2015 14:55, Carnë Draug a écrit :
>>
>> On 27 February 2015 at 13:03, Julien Bect <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Le 02/09/2014 15:27, Carnë Draug a écrit :
>>>>
>>>> I just tried to rebuild the Octave core functions documentation with
>>>> 3.8.2 but for some weird reason it is not creating the last image of each
>>>> demo. I'll have to come back to this sometime later. Carnë
>>>
>>> Hello Carnë, Could you tell me a little more on this issue ? (and perhaps
>>> start a bug report related to the generate_html package, to continue the
>>> discussion there ?) I will try to run generate_html_manual (latest dev
>>> version of generate_html package) on the latest Octave sources (default
>>> branch). Can you give me an example of a function where you fail to get the
>>> last image of the demo ?
>>
>> I really don't remember what the issue was. I don't even remember having
>> that problem anymore, but from the sound of it, sounds like I just didn't
>> bother updating the documentation for 3.8.2 (the change between 3.8.1 and
>> 3.8.2 would likely not affect the documentation anyway).
>
>
> Sure, I know that you didn't update the doc, and yes, there aren't many
> changes in the doc between 3.8.1 and 3.8.1, so it isn't a big deal.
>
> But aren't we going to update the online documentation (the one on Octave
> Forge, I mean) when 4.0 is released ?

Yes, we will.

> If we do, it means that the problem (if there is one) needs to be fixed.
>
> I would like to fix it before making a new release of generate_html.
>

Yes, I guess I will bump into the problem again. I just had completely forgotten
I had it. At the moment you're the best person to fix it, though ;)

Carnë