generate_html: "docbrowser" style ?

Julien Bect
Hello all,

Still doing some cleaning in the generate_html package, I just noticed
that there is a "docbrowser" style in get_html_options ().

The help text simply says : "Design corresponding to the pages in the
documentation browser", but which "documentation browser" is that ?

I can find no other mention of this style elsewhere in the package, and
I don't know where to find the corresponding doc.css file.

@++
Julien

Re: generate_html: "docbrowser" style ?

Søren Hauberg
Den 07-09-2014 kl. 15:55 skrev Julien Bect:
> Still doing some cleaning in the generate_html package, I just noticed
> that there is a "docbrowser" style in get_html_options ().
>
> The help text simply says : "Design corresponding to the pages in the
> documentation browser", but which "documentation browser" is that ?
>
> I can find no other mention of this style elsewhere in the package, and
> I don't know where to find the corresponding doc.css file.

As I recall (it's been a while, though), John Swensen had a
documentation browser in his GUI, which used this style. I have yet to
use the current Octave IDE, so I don't know if that uses this type of
HTML documentation. It could very well be that this style is no longer
used by anybody.

Søren

Le 07/09/2014 16:37, Søren Hauberg a écrit :

> Den 07-09-2014 kl. 15:55 skrev Julien Bect:
>> Still doing some cleaning in the generate_html package, I just noticed
>> that there is a "docbrowser" style in get_html_options ().
>>
>> The help text simply says : "Design corresponding to the pages in the
>> documentation browser", but which "documentation browser" is that ?
>>
>> I can find no other mention of this style elsewhere in the package, and
>> I don't know where to find the corresponding doc.css file.
>
> As I recall (it's been a while, though), John Swensen had a
> documentation browser in his GUI, which used this style. I have yet to
> use the current Octave IDE, so I don't know if that uses this type of
> HTML documentation. It could very well be that this style is no longer
> used by anybody.

Thank you Søren for your answer. If I understand correctly, the GUI
you're talking about is not the official Octave GUI, but this one:

http://sourceforge.net/p/octavede/wiki/Home/

which doesn't seem to be actively maintained since 2011 (and the latest
release goes back to 2009).

If the "docbrowser" style isn't directly used either by the GNU Octave
project or by the Octave-Forge project, I would vote for removing it
from the generate_html package.

Rationale : external projects that use their own options structure can
maintain it in their own source tree.

Would it be a problem for anyone if I removed the "docbrowser" style
from the generate_html package ?

@++
Julien

Re: generate_html: "docbrowser" style ?

John Swensen-3

On Sep 7, 2014, at 10:37 AM, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Den 07-09-2014 kl. 15:55 skrev Julien Bect:
>> Still doing some cleaning in the generate_html package, I just noticed
>> that there is a "docbrowser" style in get_html_options ().
>>
>> The help text simply says : "Design corresponding to the pages in the
>> documentation browser", but which "documentation browser" is that ?
>>
>> I can find no other mention of this style elsewhere in the package, and
>> I don't know where to find the corresponding doc.css file.
>
> As I recall (it's been a while, though), John Swensen had a documentation browser in his GUI, which used this style. I have yet to use the current Octave IDE, so I don't know if that uses this type of HTML documentation. It could very well be that this style is no longer used by anybody.
>
> Søren

I actually had downloaded the latest publicly available documentation package and used a library and utility called omindex and Xapian to generate a very fast search index for the documentation. This search uses syntax similar to google with quotes, and/or, "+" for exact matching, etc. I haven't worked on OctaveDE at all since the Qt effort was officially supported as part of the Octave project. A while back (6-12 months) I had thought about building the same functionality into the new GUI, but I spent about 4-6 hours trying to get generate_html to work and couldn't get it to generate the pages like the package I had downloaded previously.

John