genetic algorithm

Daniel Heiserer
Hi all,
I uploaded a genetic algorithm toolbox to
[hidden email]

The reason why it took so long was that we had mail problems here.
Sorry.

If you have any questions and comments, patches or ideas
feel free to contact me.

But please keep the code matlab-compatible.
It should run on octave as well as on matlab.

Bye

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
                                 Daniel Heiserer

Re: genetic algorithm

John Day-3
At 12:26 PM 5/20/99 +0200, Daniel Heiserer wrote:
>Hi all,
>I uploaded a genetic algorithm toolbox to

>It should run on octave as well as on matlab.
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think I speak for all 'Octavists' and 'Matlabists':
My hat's off to Daniel. This is a wonderful achievement. The
best of both worlds etc.

I have written solo m-files that run both ways, but I believe this
is a first,isn't it? An entire _toolkit_ that runs both ways.

Is it really maintainable? I hope it is.

John Day

Re: genetic algorithm

Dirk Eddelbuettel

  John> This is a wonderful achievement.

Not to overly dampen your enthusiasm, but it requires the --traditional aka
--braindead switch for Octave. If I may hazard a guess, I very much doubt
that many in the audience use this as a default.

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

Re: genetic algorithm

Dirk Laurie
Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>   John> This is a wonderful achievement.
>
> Not to overly dampen your enthusiasm, but it requires the --traditional aka
> --braindead switch for Octave. If I may hazard a guess, I very much doubt
> that many in the audience use this as a default.

I try to write code that lies in the intersection between Octave,
Matlab 3.5 and current Matlab.  Most of the time it requires no more
than avoiding certain sensitive functions and starting each M-file with

if exist('do_fortran_indexing'),
  do_fortran_indexing=1; empty_list_elements_ok=1;
end

And, of course, keeping all function names lower case.

Dirk