ginput doesn't work

Henque
Hello,

I've installed octave 3.6.2 on windows XP. And I try to use the function "ginput" :

imshow(rand(100))
[x,y]=ginput(1)

But I get this error:

error: feval: function '__qt_ginput__' no found
error: called from:
error: <>\m\plot\ginput.m at line 41, column 21

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Héctor.

Re: ginput doesn't work

Daniel Sebald
On 11/13/2012 08:54 AM, Henque wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've installed octave 3.6.2 on windows XP. And I try to use the function
> "ginput" :
>
> imshow(rand(100))
> [x,y]=ginput(1)
>
> But I get this error:
>
> error: feval: function '__qt_ginput__' no found
> error: called from:
> error:<>\m\plot\ginput.m at line 41, column 21
>

> Does anyone have an idea?

Hi Héctor,

I'm not exactly sure because this works on a fairly recent development
version on my linux system.  I am using gnuplot for the graphics and get
a toolkit description of

octave:3> toolkit = (get (gcf, "__graphics_toolkit__"))
toolkit = gnuplot

for both command line interface and GUI.

 From the error message you've shown, you should get a toolkit
description of "qt".  I've searched the script codes in the source tree
and don't immediately see how "qt" could end up in your figure structure.

What graphics are you using on your Windows XP system?  Is it gnuplot,
fltk, something else?  (I ask because I haven't much experience with how
Octave behaves under Windows.)  If you don't know that, please describe
what the window containing the image of random grey pixels looks like.

Dan

Re: ginput doesn't work

Henque
Hello Dan,

Thanks for reply me.
My graphics type is a: "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family".
Just to be more precise, I installed this version of octave "Octave 3.6.2 for Windows Microsoft Visual Studio".

Thanks,
Hector

Re: ginput doesn't work

andy buckle

On 13 November 2012 19:28, Henque <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Dan,

Thanks for reply me.
My graphics type is a: "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family".
Just to be more precise, I installed this version of octave "Octave 3.6.2
for Windows Microsoft Visual Studio".

Thanks,
Hector

That's your graphics card. Dan is asking which graphics library option Octave is using. Run that "toolkit" command he suggested through Octave to find out.
--
/* andy buckle */

Re: ginput doesn't work

Daniel Sebald
On 11/13/2012 01:28 PM, Henque wrote:
> Hello Dan,
>
> Thanks for reply me.
> My graphics type is a: "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family".

Too precise.  :-)

> Just to be more precise, I installed this version of octave "Octave 3.6.2
> for Windows Microsoft Visual Studio".

Octave uses a graphics engine to draw the figures.  What we mean by
"engine" at this level is a different program that draws the lines,
fonts, etc. for display on the screen.  "gnuplot" means that Octave is
using gnuplot plotting program to create figures.  "fltk" means that
Octave is using a drawing library.  "qt" (what you are seeing) would
mean that some form of the Qt user-interface tools is being used.

Please describe what your window looks like that contains the grayscale
image created by your "image" command.  Are there some icons?  If so
what do those icons look like?

Dan

Re: ginput doesn't work

martin_helm
You run the qthandles toolkit which has no implementation for ginput,
switch to one of the others and try with that

close all
graphics_toolkit fltk

for example at the octave prompt (you may need to close all graphics
before with the close all).

Re: ginput doesn't work

Henque
Hello,

Sorry for the mistake. I've just started working with octave.
First, I installed octave with the default parameters : "Toolkit = qt".  I have just uninstalled and reinstalled it  but this time I chose "Gnuplot" as graphics toolkit and the problem is solved.

Thanks a lot.
Hector

Re: ginput doesn't work

Daniel Sebald
On 11/13/2012 02:26 PM, Henque wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the mistake. I've just started working with octave.
> First, I installed octave with the default parameters : "Toolkit = qt".  I
> have just uninstalled and reinstalled it  but this time I chose "Gnuplot" as
> graphics toolkit and the problem is solved.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Hector

You're welcome.

Just curious why you chose Qt initially.  Would you like the Qt
interface on your system?  One thing we are attempting at the moment is
using Qt toolkit via gnuplot.  In linux, it works.  Windows, we suspect not.

Dan

Dan Sebald
email: daniel(DOT)sebald(AT)ieee(DOT)org

Re: ginput doesn't work

avlas

El Dimarts, 13 de novembre de 2012, a les 14:41:09, Daniel J Sebald va
escriure:

> On 11/13/2012 02:26 PM, Henque wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Sorry for the mistake. I've just started working with octave.
> > First, I installed octave with the default parameters : "Toolkit = qt".  I
> > have just uninstalled and reinstalled it  but this time I chose "Gnuplot"
> > as graphics toolkit and the problem is solved.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> > Hector
>
> You're welcome.
>
> Just curious why you chose Qt initially.  Would you like the Qt
> interface on your system?  One thing we are attempting at the moment is
> using Qt toolkit via gnuplot.  In linux, it works.  Windows, we suspect not.
>
> Dan
>
> > --

"One thing we are attempting at the moment is using Qt toolkit via gnuplot"

Is this the QtHandles code or something different? I use Linux and I'd like to
test it...

Re: ginput doesn't work

Daniel Sebald
On 11/13/2012 02:45 PM, Salva Ardid wrote:

> El Dimarts, 13 de novembre de 2012, a les 14:41:09, Daniel J Sebald va
> escriure:
>
>> On 11/13/2012 02:26 PM, Henque wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Sorry for the mistake. I've just started working with octave.
>>> First, I installed octave with the default parameters : "Toolkit = qt".  I
>>> have just uninstalled and reinstalled it  but this time I chose "Gnuplot"
>>> as graphics toolkit and the problem is solved.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot.
>>> Hector
>>
>> You're welcome.
>>
>> Just curious why you chose Qt initially.  Would you like the Qt
>> interface on your system?  One thing we are attempting at the moment is
>> using Qt toolkit via gnuplot.  In linux, it works.  Windows, we suspect not.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>>> --

> "One thing we are attempting at the moment is using Qt toolkit via gnuplot"
>
> Is this the QtHandles code or something different? I use Linux and I'd like to
> test it...

Not QtHandles, I believe.  What I'm referring to basically requires a
recent version of gnuplot having "qt" terminal support and set the
environment variable GNUTERM to "qt".  (The Windows--and some Apple
OSX--issue is fork.)

Dan

Re: ginput doesn't work

avlas
El Dimarts, 13 de novembre de 2012, a les 14:52:05, Daniel J Sebald va
escriure:

> On 11/13/2012 02:45 PM, Salva Ardid wrote:
> > El Dimarts, 13 de novembre de 2012, a les 14:41:09, Daniel J Sebald va
> >
> > escriure:

> >> You're welcome.
> >>
> >> Just curious why you chose Qt initially.  Would you like the Qt
> >> interface on your system?  One thing we are attempting at the moment is
> >> using Qt toolkit via gnuplot.  In linux, it works.  Windows, we suspect
> >> not.
> >>
> >> Dan

> > "One thing we are attempting at the moment is using Qt toolkit via
> > gnuplot"
> >
> > Is this the QtHandles code or something different? I use Linux and I'd
> > like to test it...
>
> Not QtHandles, I believe.  What I'm referring to basically requires a
> recent version of gnuplot having "qt" terminal support and set the
> environment variable GNUTERM to "qt".  (The Windows--and some Apple
> OSX--issue is fork.)
>
> Dan

Wow! it looks amazing...

thanks for telling,
Salva

RE: ginput doesn't work

Henque
Hello Dan,

I only chose it to maintain the compatibility with other applications.

Hector

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:41:32 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: ginput doesn't work

On 11/13/2012 02:26 PM, Henque wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the mistake. I've just started working with octave.
> First, I installed octave with the default parameters : "Toolkit = qt".  I
> have just uninstalled and reinstalled it  but this time I chose "Gnuplot" as
> graphics toolkit and the problem is solved.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Hector

You're welcome.

Just curious why you chose Qt initially.  Would you like the Qt
interface on your system?  One thing we are attempting at the moment is
using Qt toolkit via gnuplot.  In linux, it works.  Windows, we suspect not.

Dan

Dan Sebald
email: daniel(DOT)sebald(AT)ieee(DOT)org

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/ginput-doesn-t-work-tp4646576p4646595.html
To unsubscribe from ginput doesn't work, click here.
NAML

Re: ginput doesn't work

Daniel Sebald
On 11/13/2012 02:05 PM, Martin Helm wrote:
> You run the qthandles toolkit which has no implementation for ginput,
> switch to one of the others and try with that
>
> close all
> graphics_toolkit fltk
>
> for example at the octave prompt (you may need to close all graphics
> before with the close all).

Ah, I now see where the "qt" originated from.

Dan