gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

Zexi Zhuang
Hi,

I just installed gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS from the softwarecenter with the options shown in the attached picture 2.02. The plot function is not showing any meaningful line or shapes.

Do I need to install any other dependencies? Which and how?

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse Zhuang

2.01.png (124K) Download Attachment
2.02.png (78K) Download Attachment

RE: gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

John Guin

What exactly are you trying to plot?  If you could share the file, I could check on my machine (same setup as yours, I believe).

Re: gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

Zexi Zhuang
It does not matter what I was trying to plot.

Here is what I tried:

a=1:10
b=1:10

plot(a) generates the screenshot I originally sent. plot(a,b) generates a similar one. sometimes with a white background, sometimes gray and/or purple.

Jesse

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM, John Guin <[hidden email]> wrote:

What exactly are you trying to plot?  If you could share the file, I could check on my machine (same setup as yours, I believe).

Re: gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Zexi (Jesse) Zhuang <[hidden email]> wrote:
It does not matter what I was trying to plot.

Here is what I tried:

a=1:10
b=1:10

plot(a) generates the screenshot I originally sent. plot(a,b) generates a similar one. sometimes with a white background, sometimes gray and/or purple.

Jesse

Jesse Zhuang

​Switch to gnuplot backend.

Dmitri.

Re: gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

Zexi Zhuang
How do you switch? I am not familiar with gnuplot.

I tried google how to
​Switch to gnuplot backend but did not find anything useful. Thanks,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Zexi (Jesse) Zhuang <[hidden email]> wrote:
It does not matter what I was trying to plot.

Here is what I tried:

a=1:10
b=1:10

plot(a) generates the screenshot I originally sent. plot(a,b) generates a similar one. sometimes with a white background, sometimes gray and/or purple.

Jesse

Jesse Zhuang

​​
​​
​Switch to gnuplot backend.

Dmitri.

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Zexi (Jesse) Zhuang <[hidden email]> wrote:
How do you switch? I am not familiar with gnuplot.

At octave prompt
graphics_toolkit("gnuplot")

Try also
help graphics_toolkit

Re: gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

c.-2

On 17 Oct 2014, at 07:01, Zexi (Jesse) Zhuang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do you switch? I am not familiar with gnuplot.

graphics_toolkit gnuplot

> I tried google how to ​​Switch to gnuplot backend but did not find anything useful. Thanks,

I tried "Octave how to ​​Switch to gnuplot backend"
and this was the first result:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Octave#Plotting

Octave also has its own manual which explains this as well.
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Graphics-Toolkits.html#Graphics-Toolkits

c.

Re: gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

Andreas Weber-2
Hi Jesse,

On 16.10.2014 20:57, Zexi Zhuang wrote:
> I just installed gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS from the
> softwarecenter with the options shown in the attached picture 2.02. The
> plot function is not showing any meaningful line or shapes.

Switching to gnuplot is an easy workaround but I would like to debug
this issue further. Can you tell us which GPU you are using?

"lspci |grep VGA" should list it
Could you also upload (for example to pastebin) the output of "glxinfo"
(it's in package mesa-utils)

If you move the plot window out of the screen and then back, so that it
needs a redraw, does the image change?

-- Andy

Re: gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

Zexi Zhuang
Thanks all for helping. Switch to gnuplot did generate correct figures.

Andy,

Here is my GPU:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GT] (rev a1).

I do have issues with the nvidia driver which I think probably not related to this issue, which is sometimes my display freezes and cannot recover. Windows 8 seems to be able to idle and wait for the driver to restart but ubuntu will go into a black screen and error messages of "nouveau E[Xorg[1116]] failed to idle channel". I haven't found a solution and it does not happen too often.

If I move the plot out of screen it does not seem to redraw(maybe because of the workspaces?). If I try to change the size of the window, it seemed to have redrawn but still not showing correct results.

Inline image 1​ Inline image 3

Inline image 2