gnuplot for octave in windows nt

Johan_Kullstam
On 10-Mar-1998, Ionut Borcoman <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I still like the idea of gnuplot. Unfortunately, my colleagues which
| use Win95 have other opinion because they are unable to display any
| images under Win95.  Mumit Khan have now only a patch for gnuplot on
| his site. There are neither sources to patch with this patch, nor
| information about how the patch can be used.

Mumit's README file about his patched version of gnuplot on his web
site says

  GNUPLOT pre-3.6 (beta 332) hacked version for cygwin32 Octave 2.0.5

so I assume his patch is relative to that, though it will probably
apply ok with newer beta releases of gnuplot too (I haven't tried).

Beta releases of gnuplot are available from ftp://cmpc1.phys.soton.ac.uk.

jwe

yes i have tracked all this down too.  unfortunately, i am still unable to
get a working gnuplot because:

1) source for gnuplot pre3.6 beta 332 seems to have disappeared off the
face of the earth.

2) mumit khan's patch does not work against the version i did manage to
find - beta 340.  there
seems to be a lot of activity since 332 and almost all patches are
rejected.

3) i have no idea how to get it to compile with cygwin32.  i did manage to
compile it by combining the
makefiles for unix, windows and os/2 but i never got the executable to
actually display anything.

has anyone gotten a working gnuplot?  i know there's something about not
being able to distribute
modified binaries, but if a patch and it's corresponding pristine source
could be made available at
one site, it would go a *long* way to help us out.

i am enjoying the new octave and gnuplot at home on my linux system.  i am
forced to use windows nt
at work and sorely miss this great tool.  thanks for all the work.

johan

Re: gnuplot for octave in windows nt

Thomas Hoffmann-3
johan wrote:

>yes i have tracked all this down too.  unfortunately, i am still unable to
>get a working gnuplot because:

Since last saturday I have a (kind of) working Octave+gnuplot under
win95.
(Coming from the "dead" OS/2 I was shocked to see how hard it is to get
some unixish stuff working under the great Win** systems ;-(()

>1) source for gnuplot pre3.6 beta 332 seems to have disappeared off the
>face of the earth.
Simply compile the beta 340. I used Visual C and the makefile.nt from
gnuplot. I patched the sources und HPUX, maybe there is one spot where
you have to do some interaction.

>2) mumit khan's patch does not work against the version i did manage to
>find - beta 340.  there
>seems to be a lot of activity since 332 and almost all patches are
>rejected.
see above

>3) i have no idea how to get it to compile with cygwin32.  i did manage to
>compile it by combining the
>makefiles for unix, windows and os/2 but i never got the executable to
>actually display anything.
see above

>has anyone gotten a working gnuplot?  i know there's something about not
>being able to distribute
>modified binaries, but if a patch and it's corresponding pristine source
>could be made available at
>one site, it would go a *long* way to help us out.

>i am enjoying the new octave and gnuplot at home on my linux system.  i am
>forced to use windows nt
>at work and sorely miss this great tool.  thanks for all the work.
Same thing here: ENJOY under HPUX and OS/2, FORCED to Winblech...

But rest assured: If you have got gnuplot compiled you need a small shell
script, which is not supplied by M. Khan (though a simple one ...).

And, by the way: Did anybody on the list manage Win-octave to work/plot from
another drive than C: ? (Aehmm: Does anybody use octave under windows at all
or is it just supplied and never used aka tested ? ;-))

Thomas.

gnuplot for octave in windows nt

John W. Eaton-6
On 18-Mar-1998, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

| yes i have tracked all this down too.  unfortunately, i am still unable to
| get a working gnuplot because:
|
| 1) source for gnuplot pre3.6 beta 332 seems to have disappeared off the
| face of the earth.
|
| 2) mumit khan's patch does not work against the version i did manage to
| find - beta 340.  there
| seems to be a lot of activity since 332 and almost all patches are
| rejected.

Hmm.  I just tried it, and only one section of the patch failed.

| 3) i have no idea how to get it to compile with cygwin32.  i did manage to
| compile it by combining the
| makefiles for unix, windows and os/2 but i never got the executable to
| actually display anything.

Sorry, I don't know how to make the binaries work with the gnu-win32
compiler.  I think that the original Windows port of gnuplot expected
to be compiled with a Windows compiler, like Borland's or
Microsoft's.  If someone *does* know how to build the patched version
of gnuplot with the gnu-win32 compiler, I'd definitely appreciate it
if they would share that information.

| has anyone gotten a working gnuplot?  i know there's something about not
| being able to distribute
| modified binaries, but if a patch and it's corresponding pristine source
| could be made available at
| one site, it would go a *long* way to help us out.

OK, I will try to update Mumit's patch for gnuplot-beta340.  If I can
determine that it is ok for me to redistribute gnuplot-beta340, I will
also make that available on the Octave ftp/web site.

On 18-Mar-1998, Thomas Hoffmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

| And, by the way: Did anybody on the list manage Win-octave to work/plot from
| another drive than C: ?

What is the problem?  If it is that the colon causes trouble in the
LOADPATH, then perhaps the following suggestion from the
README.Windows file will help:

  * If Octave takes a long time to find function files, you may have to
    modify your LOADPATH to avoid device names specified using the
    `//DEV/subdir' syntax.  To map the D: drive (for example) to
    /D_DRIVE, do the following:

      cd /
      mkdir /D_DRIVE
      mount d: /D_DRIVE

    Then you can set your LOADPATH to include /D_DRIVE/subdir instead of
    //d/subdir.

| (Aehmm: Does anybody use octave under windows at all
| or is it just supplied and never used aka tested ? ;-))

I build the Windows binary and make it available with the idea that it
will be useful.  But since I do not use Windows much myself I don't
know if it actually is useful (though I do try to run it and perform a
few simple tasks, to make sure that at least that much works).

It would be nice if someone who actually likes Windows (or at least
knows it well enough to work with it) could manage the port, much like
great job Klaus Gebhardt has done with the OS/2 port.

Any volunteers?