gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5

briankaz
Hello All,

After downloading/installing GNU_Octave_3.8.0-6.dmg on my MacBook Air with OSX version 10.9.5 I'm getting the following error when I try to plot something:

octave:13> x = (0:1023)/1024;
octave:14> plot(x,sin(x))
gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1"  font "*,6" dashlength 1
                      ^
         line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list
octave:15>

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,
-Brian

Re: gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5

bpabbott
Administrator
> On Apr 6, 2015, at 4:39 AM, Brian Kaczynski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> After downloading/installing GNU_Octave_3.8.0-6.dmg on my MacBook Air with OSX version 10.9.5 I'm getting the following error when I try to plot something:
>
> octave:13> x = (0:1023)/1024;
> octave:14> plot(x,sin(x))
> gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1"  font "*,6" dashlength 1
>                       ^
>          line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list
> octave:15>
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> -Brian

Gnuplot is telling you that it wasn't built with support for Mac OSX's native "aqua".

First we should check which gnuplot Octave is finding.

What does ...

        [a, b] = system ("which gnuplot")

... return?

Ben

Re: gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5

briankaz
Here is the return for this query:

octave:3> [a,b] = system("which gnuplot")
a = 0
b = /usr/local/octave/3.8.0/bin/gnuplot

On Apr 6, 2015, at 7:44 AM, Brian Kaczynski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2015, at 4:39 AM, Brian Kaczynski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> After downloading/installing GNU_Octave_3.8.0-6.dmg on my MacBook Air with OSX version 10.9.5 I'm getting the following error when I try to plot something:
>
> octave:13> x = (0:1023)/1024;
> octave:14> plot(x,sin(x))
> gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1"  font "*,6" dashlength 1
>                       ^
>          line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list
> octave:15>
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> -Brian

Gnuplot is telling you that it wasn't built with support for Mac OSX's native "aqua".

First we should check which gnuplot Octave is finding.

What does ...

        [a, b] = system ("which gnuplot")

... return?

Ben

Here is the return for this query:

octave:3> [a,b] = system("which gnuplot")
a = 0
b = /usr/local/octave/3.8.0/bin/gnuplot

Ok. Octave is finding the version of gnuplot that is present in the bundle, but that version was not build to support native graphics.

If you want to continue using gnuplot, then you can try to use gnuplot's qt or x11 terminal.

close all

setenv GNUTERM qt
figure (1)
clf ()
plot (rand (3))
title ('Qt')

setenv GNUTERM x11
figure (2)
clf ()
plot (rand (3))
title ('X11')

Alternatively, you can use OpenGL for graphics.

close all
graphics_toolkit fltk
plot (rand (3))

Ben

Re: gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5

Carlo de Falco-2

On 6 Apr 2015, at 10:39, Brian Kaczynski <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1"  font "*,6" dashlength 1
>                       ^
>          line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list

Did you have a previous version of Gnuplot installed?

It seems you have some leftover settings that try to force Gnuplot to set
the terminal to aquaterm wich is not included with the distribution.

Try the following commands before plotting:

close all
setenv GNUTERM qt

You could put this into your ~/.octaverc file not to repeat it every time
you start Octave.

Or even better try to find out where the spurious settings come from
and delete them.

c.

Re: gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5

briankaz
Thanks Carlo, this "setenv GNUTERM qt" fixes the problem.

There shouldn't be any other versions of Gnuplot installed on my machine.  I have no idea where to find spurious settings if there are such.  So I will consider this problem solved.

-Brian

On 6 Apr 2015, at 10:39, Brian Kaczynski <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1"  font "*,6" dashlength 1
>                       ^
>          line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list

Did you have a previous version of Gnuplot installed?

It seems you have some leftover settings that try to force Gnuplot to set
the terminal to aquaterm wich is not included with the distribution.

Try the following commands before plotting:

close all
setenv GNUTERM qt

You could put this into your ~/.octaverc file not to repeat it every time
you start Octave.

Or even better try to find out where the spurious settings come from
and delete them.

c.

Re: gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5

vicnorton
I have problems with qt:
   octave> setenv GNUTERM qt
   octave> figure (1)
   Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'qt'
This aquaterm solution works for me
1. install macports
   see <https://www.macports.org/install.php>
2. install gnuplot from macports
   $ sudo port install gnuplot +aquaterm+luaterm+pangocairo+wxwidgets+x11
3. disable your current gnuplot
   /usr/local/octave/3.8.0/bin/gnuplot
   by appending an "X" or something to "gnuplot"
4. in ~/.gnuplot put the line
   set loadpath '/opt/local/bin/gnuplot'
5. in ~/.octaverc put the lines
   gnuplot_binary ("/opt/local/bin/gnuplot");
   graphics_toolkit gnuplot;
   setenv GNUTERM aqua;

Regards,

Vic

On 6 Apr 2015, at 15:31, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok. Octave is finding the version of gnuplot that is present in the bundle, but that version was not build to support native graphics.
> If you want to continue using gnuplot, then you can try to use gnuplot's qt or x11 terminal.

The Gnuplot version in the bundle is built with the "qt" terminal only, neuther "aqua" nor "x11" are supported.

c.

On 6 Apr 2015, at 16:53, Vic Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have problems with qt:
>   octave> setenv GNUTERM qt
>   octave> figure (1)
>   Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'qt'

you are probably not using the gnuplot version packaged in the Octave bundle,
try the approach suggested by Ben to check:

 [a,b] = system("which gnuplot")

c.

On Apr 6, 2015, at 12:46 PM, Carlo De Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> you are probably not using the gnuplot version packaged in the Octave bundle,
> try the approach suggested by Ben to check:
>
> [a,b] = system("which gnuplot")

Hi Carlo,

I had disabled the gnuplot version packaged with your Octave bundle. I didn't know how to use it. When I execute
  octave> [a,b] = system("which gnuplot")
I get
  a = 0
  b = /opt/local/bin/gnuplot

Now I have added the qt variant to my MacPorts gnuplot. The command
  octave> [a,b] = system("which gnuplot")
still produces the above output, but now
  octave> setenv GNUTERM qt
  octave> figure (1)
  octave> clf ()
  octave> plot (rand (3))
  octave> title ('Qt')
works fine.
And
  octave setenv GNUTERM aqua
  octave> figure (1)
  octave> clf ()
  octave> plot (rand (3))
  octave> title ('Qt')
works fine too.

Regards,

Vic

Re: gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5

chensi
This post was updated on .
I came across the similar problem before. I solved it by the following step:

1: Uninstall gnuplot by

brew uninstall gnuplot

2: Install aquaterm by

brew cask install aquaterm

3: Install gnuplot with aquaterm support

brew install gnuplot --with-aquaterm --with-qt

4: Enter gnuplot in the Terminal and type

set terminal

It will show you the supported terminals of gnuplot. If the previous steps works, "aqua" will appear on the top of the list.

You can also use macports to do the similar steps. You just need to install an aquaterm.

Good luck

Re: gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5

bpabbott
Administrator
> On Apr 9, 2015, at 9:18 PM, chensi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I came across the similar problem before. I solved it by the following
> step:1: Uninstall gnuplot bybrew uninstall gnuplot2: Install aquaterm bybrew
> cask install aquaterm3: Install gnuplot with aquaterm supportbrew install
> gnuplot --with-aquaterm --with-qt4: Enter gnuplot in the Terminal and
> typeset terminalIt will show you the supported terminals of gnuplot. If the
> previous steps works, "aqua" will appear on the top of the list.You can also
> use macports to do the similar steps. You just need to install an
> aquaterm.Good luck

I’ve added this advice to the wiki.

Thanks
Ben