gplot w l linestyle doesn't work

David Larom
in gnuplot, i can say:
set linestyle 1 lt 1 lw 1 pt 1 ps 1
plot sin(x) w l ls 1
and it does the graph with lines, linestyle 1, as requested.

But in Octave, the equivalent doesn't work:
gset linestyle 1 lt 1 lw 1 pt 1 ps 1

gshow linestyle works fine; it displays
linestyle 1, linetype 1, linewidth 1, pointtype 1, pointsize 1

and
a=-10:.1:10;
b=[a' sin(a')];

Now,

gplot(b)

works fine, but

gplot(b) w l linestyle 1

gives the error message
error: 'linestyle' undefined near line 52 column 14
error: evaluating expression near line 52, column 14
error: evaluating plot style command

gplot w l linestyle doesn't work

John W. Eaton-6
On 12-May-1999, David Larom <[hidden email]> wrote:

| in gnuplot, i can say:
| set linestyle 1 lt 1 lw 1 pt 1 ps 1
| plot sin(x) w l ls 1
| and it does the graph with lines, linestyle 1, as requested.
|
| But in Octave, the equivalent doesn't work:
| gset linestyle 1 lt 1 lw 1 pt 1 ps 1
|
| gshow linestyle works fine; it displays
| linestyle 1, linetype 1, linewidth 1, pointtype 1, pointsize 1
|
| and
| a=-10:.1:10;
| b=[a' sin(a')];
|
| Now,
|
| gplot(b)
|
| works fine, but
|
| gplot(b) w l linestyle 1
|
| gives the error message
| error: 'linestyle' undefined near line 52 column 14
| error: evaluating expression near line 52, column 14
| error: evaluating plot style command

This doesn't work in Octave because it is either a recent change in
the way that gnuplot works or it was something that was missed when I
first implemented Octave's interface to gnuplot.

I have no plans to try to support every feature change in gnuplot,
primarily because it is too much work -- in order for Octave to
implement all the features of gnuplot, Octave's parser much change
every time gnuplot's syntax changes.

If you want every feature of gnuplot to work, then the best solution
is to write data files from Octave and run a copy of gnuplot as a
separate process yourself.

Sorry,

jwe