[griddata]:__delaunay__ function

12

[griddata]:__delaunay__ function

Thierry Laroche
Hello,

I use octave 3.4.0 on opensuse 11.3.

I would like to use griddata but it returns :

"error: __delaunayn__: not available in this version of Octave
  error: called from:
  error:   /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/delaunayn.m at line 56,
column 5
  error:   /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/delaunay.m at line 56,
column 11
  error:   /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/griddata.m at line 80,
column 5"

The package qhull was not installed but now it's done but the griddata
function still doesn't work.

any idea? Please...

Re: [griddata]:__delaunay__ function

bpabbott
Administrator
On Nov 14, 2011, at 8:33 AM, Thierry Laroche wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use octave 3.4.0 on opensuse 11.3.
>
> I would like to use griddata but it returns :
>
> "error: __delaunayn__: not available in this version of Octave
> error: called from:
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/delaunayn.m at line 56, column 5
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/delaunay.m at line 56, column 11
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/griddata.m at line 80, column 5"
>
> The package qhull was not installed but now it's done but the griddata function still doesn't work.
>
> any idea? Please...

I think qhull must be present at build time. Has your Octave been rebuilt since you installed qhull?

Ben

Re: [griddata]:__delaunay__ function

martin_helm
Am 14.11.2011 14:33, schrieb Thierry Laroche:

> Hello,
>
> I use octave 3.4.0 on opensuse 11.3.
>
> I would like to use griddata but it returns :
>
> "error: __delaunayn__: not available in this version of Octave error:
> called from: error: /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/delaunayn.m
> at line 56, column 5 error:
> /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/delaunay.m at line 56, column 11
> error: /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/griddata.m at line 80,
> column 5"
>
> The package qhull was not installed but now it's done but the
> griddata function still doesn't work.
>
> any idea? Please...

You will need to recompile octave so that the missing functionality is
compiled.
Did you install an rpm (if so which one from which repository).
One of the simplest solutions is to recompile the rpm so that you again
have
a rpm which can be installed with the package manager.
To get the source code rpm do this

sudo zypper si -d octave

this will install the essential build requirements. Download the source
rpm for
the version you have installed and run

rpmbuild --rebuild <the name of your src rpm>

this creates a new octave-???.rpm which you can use to install.
Make sure you have the development rpm's for qhull installed before you do
all that (I think it is libqhull5-devel).

Am 14.11.2011 14:58, schrieb Martin Helm:

> Am 14.11.2011 14:33, schrieb Thierry Laroche:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use octave 3.4.0 on opensuse 11.3.
>>
>> I would like to use griddata but it returns :
>>
>> "error: __delaunayn__: not available in this version of Octave error:
>> called from: error: /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/delaunayn.m
>> at line 56, column 5 error:
>> /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/delaunay.m at line 56, column 11
>> error: /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/geometry/griddata.m at line 80,
>> column 5"
>>
>> The package qhull was not installed but now it's done but the
>> griddata function still doesn't work.
>>
>> any idea? Please...
>>
> You will need to recompile octave so that the missing functionality is
> compiled.
> Did you install an rpm (if so which one from which repository).
> One of the simplest solutions is to recompile the rpm so that you again
> have
> a rpm which can be installed with the package manager.
> To get the source code rpm do this
>
> sudo zypper si -d octave
>
> this will install the essential build requirements. Download the source
> rpm for
> the version you have installed and run
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild <the name of your src rpm>
>
> this creates a new octave-???.rpm which you can use to install.
> Make sure you have the development rpm's for qhull installed before you do
> all that (I think it is libqhull5-devel).

Try this one (octave 3.4.3) from the science repository
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_11.3

Am 14.11.2011 15:48, schrieb Thierry Laroche:
> I installed my octave from the packman rpm (3.4.0-2.8).
> I will try to recompile at the very end I would like to keep a kernel
> friendly package to avoid the compiling at every update.
> Anyway, I think  I will try it,
>
> thanks

> [snip]

>> Try this one (octave 3.4.3) from the science repository
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_11.3

Please keep your replies on the list by using "reply to all", others are
possibly interested in the outcome.

By using the science repository you avoid installing something from
outside (it has qhull dependencies built in). Btw octave has nothing to
do with the kernel it is a scientific software and not a hardware driver
or kernel module which needs to be recompiled when you update your kernel.
I recommend you add the science repository permanently to have easy
access to octave updates and to all dependencies

as root
zypper ar
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_11.3 science
zypper ref #it will ask to accept the repository key
zypper in -r science octave octave-devel

(or if you prefer that in yast -> software management switch octave and
octave-devel and if you have some the octave-forge packages to the
version from the science repository (you will never have to repeat that
whatever updates come in).

Re: [griddata]:__delaunay__ function

Thierry Laroche
when I try to install the packages from the science repo, I have a
dependency problem:
No repository provides libmagick++.so.3()64bits.

Where can I find it?

thierry_laroche.vcf (426 bytes) Download Attachment

Am 14.11.2011 19:08, schrieb Thierry Laroche:
> when I try to install the packages from the science repo, I have a
> dependency problem:
> No repository provides libmagick++.so.3()64bits.
>
> Where can I find it?

If this is libGraphicsMagick++.so.3 install the package
libGraphicsMagick++3 with yast it is in the standard repositories.

Re: [griddata]:__delaunay__ function

Thierry Laroche
Ok, I installed the libmagick package. Thus, the octave package from
science repository works. As a result, the function griddata doesn't
work anymore.

I tried the demo in octav forge

  x=2*rand(100,1)-1;
  y=2*rand(size(x))-1;
  z=sin(2*(x.^2+y.^2));
  [xx,yy]=meshgrid(linspace(-1,1,32));
  [x1,y1,zz]=griddata(x,y,z,xx,yy);

and zz becomes a 32x32 array full of NaN...

Am 14.11.2011 22:23, schrieb Thierry Laroche:

> Ok, I installed the libmagick package. Thus, the octave package from
> science repository works. As a result, the function griddata doesn't
> work anymore.
>
> I tried the demo in octav forge
>
>  x=2*rand(100,1)-1;
>  y=2*rand(size(x))-1;
>  z=sin(2*(x.^2+y.^2));
>  [xx,yy]=meshgrid(linspace(-1,1,32));
>  [x1,y1,zz]=griddata(x,y,z,xx,yy);
>
> and zz becomes a 32x32 array full of NaN...
What I can see is the project science changed a few weeks ago the
version of qhull used (you can look at the spec file for the rpm to see
this). The matrix contains of course some NaNs at the borders but should
not contain only NaNs. I cannot reproduce it since I have no openSUSE
11.3 but 11.4 and I compile octave myself.
But your description sounds like they broke it with their patch, so
there are two options
Compile octave as I did directly from the sources from octave.org or
file a bug against the science repository
https://build.opensuse.org/package/users?package=octave&project=science
on this page you can see the person who is the bug owner pgajdos with an
email link to contact.

Re: [griddata]:__delaunay__ function

Thierry Laroche
I also try this on opensuse 11.4, and I obtain the same result.
I will first fill a bug report and if it's too long I should compile as
you suggest.
keep in touch

Thank you

Am 14.11.2011 22:58, schrieb Thierry Laroche:
> I also try this on opensuse 11.4, and I obtain the same result.
> I will first fill a bug report and if it's too long I should compile
> as you suggest.
> keep in touch
>
> Thank you
When you go for a compile from its original source look also at this
page it will help you

http://www.schoeps.org/home/2010/01/install-octave-on-opensuse/
it is for version 11.3.

Make sure that you have qhull5 (!) installed before you build
(not qhull6 this is what broke the science rpm). The ones I have
installed and with which it works are
libqhull5-2010.1-10.1.x86_64
libqhull5-devel-2010.1-10.1.x86_64
from here (this is for 11.3 mine are of course from the corresponding
11.4 link)
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/scorot/openSUSE_11.3
hope you succeed with that.

Re: [griddata]:__delaunay__ function

Petr Gajdos
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:23:35PM +0100, Martin Helm wrote:

> Am 14.11.2011 22:58, schrieb Thierry Laroche:
> > I also try this on opensuse 11.4, and I obtain the same result.
> > I will first fill a bug report and if it's too long I should compile
> > as you suggest.
> > keep in touch
> >
> > Thank you
> When you go for a compile from its original source look also at this
> page it will help you
>
> http://www.schoeps.org/home/2010/01/install-octave-on-opensuse/
> it is for version 11.3.
>
> Make sure that you have qhull5 (!) installed before you build
Hi,

thanks Thierry to pointing me to this thread, I am on this list, but
not reading everything; feel free to ping me more loudly with future
problems with openSUSE's octave.

If I understand correctly I should downgrade qhull to less recent
version? I have added qhull into science repository not long ago as
octave dependency, so it should be done easily. Without patch we
have against octave qhull6 gets not detected at all.

Thanks for any help,
Petr

laura:/> rpm -ql qhull qhull-devel libqhull6 | grep -v /usr/share/doc
/usr/bin/qconvex
/usr/bin/qconvex-6.2.0.1385
/usr/bin/qdelaunay
/usr/bin/qdelaunay-6.2.0.1385
/usr/bin/qhalf
/usr/bin/qhalf-6.2.0.1385
/usr/bin/qhull
/usr/bin/qhull-6.2.0.1385
/usr/bin/qvoronoi
/usr/bin/qvoronoi-6.2.0.1385
/usr/bin/rbox
/usr/bin/rbox-6.2.0.1385
/usr/include/libqhull
/usr/include/libqhull/geom.h
/usr/include/libqhull/io.h
/usr/include/libqhull/libqhull.h
/usr/include/libqhull/mem.h
/usr/include/libqhull/merge.h
/usr/include/libqhull/poly.h
/usr/include/libqhull/qhull_a.h
/usr/include/libqhull/qset.h
/usr/include/libqhull/random.h
/usr/include/libqhull/stat.h
/usr/include/libqhull/user.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/Coordinates.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/PointCoordinates.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/Qhull.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullError.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullFacet.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullFacetList.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullFacetSet.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullHyperplane.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullIterator.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullLinkedList.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullPoint.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullPointSet.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullPoints.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullQh.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullRidge.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullSet.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullSets.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullStat.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullVertex.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/QhullVertexSet.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/RboxPoints.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/UsingLibQhull.h
/usr/include/libqhullcpp/functionObjects.h
/usr/include/road
/usr/include/road/RoadError.h
/usr/include/road/RoadLogEvent.h
/usr/include/road/RoadTest.h
/usr/lib64/libqhull6.so
/usr/share/man/man1/qhull.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/rbox.1.gz

Re: [griddata]:__delaunay__ function

Thierry Laroche
Hi,

I also think that the problem is the package qhull.
I await the update.
I am looking forward. :)

Thank you

thierry_laroche.vcf (312 bytes) Download Attachment

Am 15.11.2011 10:38, schrieb Petr Gajdos:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:23:35PM +0100, Martin Helm wrote:
>> Am 14.11.2011 22:58, schrieb Thierry Laroche:
>>> I also try this on opensuse 11.4, and I obtain the same result.
>>> I will first fill a bug report and if it's too long I should compile
>>> as you suggest.
>>> keep in touch
>>>
>>> Thank you
>> When you go for a compile from its original source look also at this
>> page it will help you
>>
>> http://www.schoeps.org/home/2010/01/install-octave-on-opensuse/
>> it is for version 11.3.
>>
>> Make sure that you have qhull5 (!) installed before you build
> Hi,
>
> thanks Thierry to pointing me to this thread, I am on this list, but
> not reading everything; feel free to ping me more loudly with future
> problems with openSUSE's octave.
>
> If I understand correctly I should downgrade qhull to less recent
> version? I have added qhull into science repository not long ago as
> octave dependency, so it should be done easily. Without patch we
> have against octave qhull6 gets not detected at all.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Petr

The problem is really that your patch makes octave compile with the
newer qhull 2011 but the resulting binaries give wrong results. So there
seems to be a deeper incompatibility on the binary level which cannot be
solved by changing the include files.
With qhull 2010 the results are correct.
I found a discussion on this list from 30.08.2011 where builds for mac
and mingw also have problems with qhull 2011 by giving wrong results
after compiling octave against it, so it seems to be in general that
octave is incompatible with qhull6 whatever trick one applies to make it
compile.
I can confirm the same for me when I compile my octave 3.4.3 directly
from the downloaded sources and also the current development version on
openSUSE 11.4 against qhull5 it works, but against qhull6 (patching the
seek for the right include files) it gives just wrong results.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 05:06:03PM +0100, Thierry Laroche wrote:
> I await the update.
> I am looking forward. :)

I have created science/qhull5 and build octave against it. Feel
free to test.

Thanks,
Petr

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:53:36PM +0100, Martin Helm wrote:
> I found a discussion on this list from 30.08.2011 where builds for mac
> and mingw also have problems with qhull 2011 by giving wrong results
> after compiling octave against it, so it seems to be in general that
> octave is incompatible with qhull6 whatever trick one applies to make it

Look at example I have derived from octave's __delaunayn__.cc.

work/qhull> gcc -o qhull-test qhull-test.c -lqhull -lm
-DQHULL5
qhull-test.c:4:2: warning: #warning qhull5 [-Wcpp]
work/qhull> ./qhull-test
4 20 47
6 20 29
2 44 29
53 35 33
66 30 56
25 43 4
25 41 50
25 41 43
98 53 33
51 35 44
[...]
work/qhull> gcc -o qhull-test qhull-test.c -lqhull6
-lm
qhull-test.c:7:2: warning: #warning qhull6 [-Wcpp]
work/qhull> ./qhull-test
work/qhull>

So there is any output from qhull-test when building against qhull6 in
contrast when building against qhull5.

Maybe it's time to ask qhull upstream, will do next week.

Petr

qhull-test.c (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [griddata]:__delaunay__ function

Thierry Laroche
I have always NaN.

I uninstalled all qhull and octave package and reinstalled them by
choosing libqhull5 first (I found no qhull5). However, octave still
require libqhull6 at install.

So... anyway thank you Petr

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 09:14:53PM +0100, Thierry Laroche wrote:
> I uninstalled all qhull and octave package and reinstalled them by
> choosing libqhull5 first (I found no qhull5). However, octave still
> require libqhull6 at install.

Oops, have forgot to submit :-).
Should be fixed now, can you try again?

Petr

Re: [griddata]:__delaunay__ function

Thierry Laroche
Well done Petr:)!

It's better but there are still some NaN one the edges of the result
Matrix. I make some further checks and I will let you know.

Thierry

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:59:12AM +0100, Thierry Laroche wrote:
> It's better but there are still some NaN one the edges of the result
> Matrix. I make some further checks and I will let you know.

Remember Martin said in his previous post in this thread, that
resulting matrix contains some NaNs at the borders.

I can only repeat that I don't have mathematical background.

Petr

12