gui branch merged to default

The gui branch has been merged to default and is now closed.

If the configure script detects the necessary Qt tools and libraries,
the GUI will be enabled.  You don't need to do any special qmake
commands yourself or cd to the gui subdirectory to build the
GUI-enabled Octave.  You just need the normal

  autogen.sh
  configure
  make

steps.

If you have trouble building the GUI, you can use --disable-gui when
running configure.

We now build two binaries, octave and octave-cli.  The octave-cli
binary is never linked with the GUI toolkit, so if you don't need the
GUI, you can run octave-cli to avoid wasting memory and startup time.
If you build the GUI, octave is linked with the GUI toolkit libraries
and starts the GUI by default.  Otherwise, octave and octave-cli are
identical.

Octave's new --no-gui option disables the GUI at startup.

If you run a command like

  octave --eval "x = 13"

or

  octave myscript.m

the GUI will not be started unless you also specify --persist or use
the new --force-gui option.

The run-octave script now starts octave with the GUI by default.  If
you don't want that, you can pass -cli to run-octave to run the
octave-cli binary instead, or you can use the --no-gui option and that
will be passed to Octave to disable starting the GUI.

Thanks to Jacob and everyone else who has worked on getting the GUI to
this point.  There is still some work to do before it is ready for
release, but it is looking really good now.

Enjoy,

Re: gui branch merged to default

Michael Goffioul
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Great news.

One of the things that will be needed (at least for me) is an export mechanism similar that what's done in the other octave libraries.

Michael.

Re: gui branch merged to default

Torsten
On 13.08.2012 17:29, John W. Eaton wrote:

> The gui branch has been merged to default and is now closed.
>
> If the configure script detects the necessary Qt tools and libraries,
> the GUI will be enabled.  You don't need to do any special qmake
> commands yourself or cd to the gui subdirectory to build the
> GUI-enabled Octave.  You just need the normal
>
>   autogen.sh
>   configure
>   make
>
> steps.
>
> If you have trouble building the GUI, you can use --disable-gui when
> running configure.

After a fresh checkout in ubuntu 12.04 and the steps given above make
aborts with

libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I/usr/include/qt4
-I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui
-I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I./../qterminal/libqterminal -I./m-editor
-I./octave-adapter -I./qtinfo -I./../../libcruft/misc -I../../liboctave
-I./../../liboctave -I../../src -I../../src/interp-core
-I../../src/interpfcn -I../../src/parse-tree -I./../../src
-I./../../src/interp-core -I./../../src/interpfcn
-I./../../src/octave-value -I./../../src/operators
-I./../../src/parse-tree -g -O2 -pthread -MT
liboctgui_la-resource-manager.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/liboctgui_la-resource-manager.Tpo -c resource-manager.cc  -fPIC
-DPIC -o .libs/liboctgui_la-resource-manager.o
resource-manager.cc:33:22: fatal error: defaults.h: No such file or
directory

The only files in the repository matching defaults.h* are
./.hg/store/data/src/defaults.h.in.i
./.hg/store/data/src/defaults.h.i

What am I missing?

Torsten

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Torsten <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13.08.2012 17:29, John W. Eaton wrote:
> The gui branch has been merged to default and is now closed.
>
> If the configure script detects the necessary Qt tools and libraries,
> the GUI will be enabled.  You don't need to do any special qmake
> commands yourself or cd to the gui subdirectory to build the
> GUI-enabled Octave.  You just need the normal
>
>   autogen.sh
>   configure
>   make
>
> steps.
>
> If you have trouble building the GUI, you can use --disable-gui when
> running configure.

After a fresh checkout in ubuntu 12.04 and the steps given above make
aborts with

libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I/usr/include/qt4
-I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui
-I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I./../qterminal/libqterminal -I./m-editor
-I./octave-adapter -I./qtinfo -I./../../libcruft/misc -I../../liboctave
-I./../../liboctave -I../../src -I../../src/interp-core
-I../../src/interpfcn -I../../src/parse-tree -I./../../src
-I./../../src/interp-core -I./../../src/interpfcn
-I./../../src/octave-value -I./../../src/operators
-I./../../src/parse-tree -g -O2 -pthread -MT
liboctgui_la-resource-manager.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/liboctgui_la-resource-manager.Tpo -c resource-manager.cc  -fPIC
-DPIC -o .libs/liboctgui_la-resource-manager.o
resource-manager.cc:33:22: fatal error: defaults.h: No such file or
directory

The only files in the repository matching defaults.h* are
./.hg/store/data/src/defaults.h.in.i
./.hg/store/data/src/defaults.h.i

What am I missing?

I had a similar problem yesterday. I had to do first:

make -C src defaults.h

Michael.