gui_mainfcn not defined error

sarbjit
Hi, I am new user to Octave/Matlab. I am having an Matlab code, when I try to run this in Octave. I am getting the following message :- octave-3.6.2.exe:29> sinesum2 error: `gui_mainfcn' undefined near line 44 column 5 error: called from: error: D:\Octave-3.6.2\sinesum2.m at line 44, column 5 Can some one please help me to make it work in Octave. Thanks

Re: gui_mainfcn not defined error

Sergei Steshenko
>________________________________

Looking at "gui" in "gui_mainfcn" I'd say it a Matlab-speicific GUI-related function which doesn't exist in Octave.

Octave is a _console_ application.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: gui_mainfcn not defined error

James Sherman Jr.-2
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM, sarbjit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I am new user to Octave/Matlab. I am having an Matlab code, when I try
> to run this in Octave. I am getting the following message :-
> octave-3.6.2.exe:29> sinesum2 error: `gui_mainfcn' undefined near line 44
> column 5 error: called from: error: D:\Octave-3.6.2\sinesum2.m at line 44,
> column 5 Can some one please help me to make it work in Octave. Thanks

Greetings,

Just guessing from the name of the function, it calls some Matlab gui
function.  Octave currently does not have gui functionality (but it is
coming soon!  Its currently in the development branch).  If you can't
wait, your two options are either to compile the development branch
yourself (though I have no idea if said function would be implemented)
or try one GUIs put out by 3rd parties.  You can read more about this:
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#GUI

Hope this helps,

James Sherman

Re: gui_mainfcn not defined error

Sergei Steshenko

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM, sarbjit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Hi, I am new user to Octave/Matlab. I am having an Matlab code, when I try
>>  to run this in Octave. I am getting the following message :-
>>  octave-3.6.2.exe:29> sinesum2 error: `gui_mainfcn' undefined near
> line 44
>>  column 5 error: called from: error: D:\Octave-3.6.2\sinesum2.m at
> line 44,
>>  column 5 Can some one please help me to make it work in Octave. Thanks
>>

> Greetings,
>
> Just guessing from the name of the function, it calls some Matlab gui
> function.  Octave currently does not have gui functionality (but it is
> coming soon!  Its currently in the development branch).  If you can't
> wait, your two options are either to compile the development branch
> yourself (though I have no idea if said function would be implemented)
> or try one GUIs put out by 3rd parties.  You can read more about this:
> http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#GUI
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James Sherman

Is the http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#GUI entry about GUI frontend or it's about GUI building facilities - like menus, buttons, sliders, etc - whose callback can be Octave functions ?

E.g. like http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/guimaker/ ?

Also see GUI in http://www.scilab.org/products/scilab/roadmap .

Thanks,
  Sergei.

Re: gui_mainfcn not defined error

sarbjit
You can look at the code from "http://see.stanford.edu/materials/lsoftaee261/sinesum2.zip". I am not sure whether this code can be made to work in Octave.

Re: gui_mainfcn not defined error

Carnë Draug-2
On 5 December 2012 08:11, Sergei Steshenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is the http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#GUI entry about GUI frontend or it's about GUI building facilities - like menus, buttons, sliders, etc - whose callback can be Octave functions ?

It was meant to be only about the GUI frontend. But I guess an entry
could be also added about the GUI building stuff.

Carnë

Re: gui_mainfcn not defined error

Sergei Steshenko

> On 5 December 2012 08:11, Sergei Steshenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Is the http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#GUI entry about GUI frontend or it's
> about GUI building facilities - like menus, buttons, sliders, etc - whose
> callback can be Octave functions ?
>
> It was meant to be only about the GUI frontend. But I guess an entry
> could be also added about the GUI building stuff.
>
> Carnë

Then the priorities (if we are talking about real work) are wrong. I.e. building a GUI which on the fly allows to change parameters of a running simulation model are of true practical value while building the file browser + text editor + command window GUI is just fro those who can't arrange three windows on their desktop.

AFAIR, it is possible to run external commands from Notepad++ - of somebody wants the three windows glued together. At least, I was running a Perl script, and, AFAIR, Notepad++ was even colorizing stdout and stderr output differently.

Regards,
  Sergei.