gunzip / unpack deletes source file

Reimann Stefan (DC-RE/PAC3)
Hello,

I recognized that gunzip / unpack deletes source files after decompressing to another destination folder. Compressed files with other formats (for instance *.zip) are not deleted / moved from unpack.

Is this the normal behavior or a bug (I can't imagine a reason for the different behavior for different file extensions?)

Thank you for your help!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Stefan Reimann

Re: gunzip / unpack deletes source file

Mike Miller
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 13:10:13 +0000, Reimann Stefan (DC-RE/PAC3) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recognized that gunzip / unpack deletes source files after
> decompressing to another destination folder. Compressed files with
> other formats (for instance *.zip) are not deleted / moved from
> unpack.
>
> Is this the normal behavior or a bug (I can't imagine a reason for the
> different behavior for different file extensions?)

This is likely the behavior because Octave simply relies on the
standard system utilities to do the decompression and unpacking. The
gzip command deletes its input file by default, while the unzip
command does not.

If you believe this inconsistency is an error, or preferably have
access to Matlab and can show what the correct behavior should be,
please report a bug:

  http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave