help - Open File dialogue box - slow

Joe Tusek

Hi,

When using uigetfile dialogue box, I get very slow performance in comparison to windows Explorer. I am using the command

[tfname, tfpath, tfltidx] = uigetfile ('FileData.xlsx',"MultiSelect", "off");

I am trying to load a network file which is at least 6 levels down the directory tree on our server. After I change directories a few times the dialogue box hangs before it reveals the new subdirectory listing (10-30 seconds). The equivalent operation in MS windows is in relative terms instantaneous.  The directories do have a lot of files in them, but this does not seem to slow down Explorer, unless it starts indexing.

I don’t know why the Open File dialogue is being slowed down so much when changing directories, but when compared to Explorer’s performance it makes you wonder. If it has to do with the inner workings and something can be done about it, then tweaking it would be an advantage.

I am using W10 with Octave 5.1.0.

Regards,

Joe

Joe Tusek (BE MBA)
Technical Director
23 Warabrook Boulevard, Warabrook, NSW 2304
P +61 2 4961 9000  M +61 418 669 250

Re: help - Open File dialogue box - slow

nrjank
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 11:55 PM Joe Tusek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When using uigetfile dialogue box, I get very slow performance in comparison to windows Explorer. I am using the command

I don't know the cause, but I have seen similar slowdown from the file
manager window in the Octave GUI.  If I cd to a folder with a lot of
files, I often have to wait "many" seconds (not enormous, but more
than I'd expect in an windows file browser) with Octave hung while
waiting for it to display.

don't know if that's related, but depending on what's running under
the hood thought it worth mentioning.