help subsystem (makeinfo)

ahowe42
Hi everyone

I am mostly new to Linux, and have switched almost entirely from Windows & MATLAB to Linux and Octave.  That said, I may ask something very simple and stupid :-).  I am running Ubuntu 11.10 on a 64-bit machine.

I had installed octave (and QT octave) from the ubuntu repository, then realized that the java-1.2.8 package requires a newer version, so I uninstalled octave and downloaded the binaries for 3.4.3.  It compiled and installed without me observing any errors, and for the most part seems ok.

I expanded the tarball into my downloads folder, and ran the installation from there (into /usr/local/share).  My first (easy) question is do I have to keep these installation files?

Secondly: when I'm in octave, if I execute "help func" where func is not one my own functions, I get the message
""sh: makeinfo: not found
warning: help: Texinfo formatting filter exited abnormally; raw Texinfo source of help text follows..."

I have the latest version of texi2html installed.  If someone can help me get this working, I'll be very appreciative.

Andrew

Re: help subsystem (makeinfo)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 10 February 2012 08:43, ahowe42 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I expanded the tarball into my downloads folder, and ran the installation
> from there (into /usr/local/share).  My first (easy) question is do I have
> to keep these installation files?

If you want to uninstall the 3.4.3 binaries you compiled, the build
directory contains instructions for "make uninstall" that will let you
remove the 3.4.3 binaries. However, since you're using Ubuntu, you can
instead use checkinstall like so:

    checkinstall make install

(I'm not sure if it requires root privilges, but I think it doesn't.)
What checkinstall does is create a simple Debian package, suitable for
personal use, that you can manage with dpkg. So "sudo dpkg -i
octave-whatever-3.4.3.deb" will install the 3.4.3 Debian package you
just created and you can later delete it with apt-get remove.

> Secondly: when I'm in octave, if I execute "help func" where func is not one
> my own functions, I get the message
> ""sh: makeinfo: not found
> warning: help: Texinfo formatting filter exited abnormally; raw Texinfo
> source of help text follows..."

Install the texinfo Ubuntu package.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

Re: help subsystem (makeinfo)

ahowe42
Thanks Jordi.  Right before your reply, I found I needed the texinfo package and that solved it.  I'm running checkinstall now, so that should be all good.

Thank you very much for your help.