how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave

how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave

Alois Schloegl-7

Dear maintainers of MXE-OCTAVE,

mexbiosig [1] is a mex-file for loading about 50 different Biosig data formats [2] into octave. mexbiosig can than be installed in octave with

    pkg install mexbiosig-X.Y.Z.src.tar.gz

but requires that  libbiosig [1] is available on the host platform. libbiosig for windows can be compiled with mxe [3,4,5]. I tried to compile libbiosig within mxe-octave. However, this was not successful (I just copied src/libbiosig.mk from [5] into a recent mxe-octave directory and tried to run "make libbiosig" in the same way as I used to this mxe. It fails with the message "make: *** No rule to make target 'libbiosig'.  Stop."

Therefore, I'm asking:

1) how to compile libbiosig within mxe-octave ? What do I miss here ?

2) would you consider including libbiosig into the official mxe-octave repository ? What is needed to include this in Octave for windows ?

The procedure to install mexbiosig in Octave is working fine on  Linux and macOS through homebrew. It would be great if mexbiosig could be also provided to Octave users on Windows. Could you help me with that ?

Best regards,

  Alois

[1] http://biosig.sourceforge.net/download.html

[2] http://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/biosig/TESTED

[3] https://mxe.cc/

[4] https://github.com/schloegl/mxe

[5] https://github.com/schloegl/mxe/blob/master/src/libbiosig.mk

RE: how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 01:20:49 +0200
> From: Alois Schl?gl <[hidden email]>
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave
>

> Dear maintainers of MXE-OCTAVE,
>

> mexbiosig [1] is a mex-file for loading about 50 different Biosig data
> formats [2] into octave. mexbiosig can than be installed in octave with ?
>
>     pkg install mexbiosig-X.Y.Z.src.tar.gz
>
> but requires that? libbiosig [1] is available on the host platform.
> libbiosig for windows can be compiled with mxe [3,4,5]. I tried to
> compile libbiosig within mxe-octave. However, this was not successful (I
> just copied src/libbiosig.mk from [5] into a recent mxe-octave directory
> and tried to run "make libbiosig" in the same way as I used to this mxe.
> It fails with the message "make: *** No rule to make target
> 'libbiosig'.? Stop."
>
> Therefore, I'm asking:
>
> 1) how to compile libbiosig within mxe-octave ? What do I miss here ?
>
> 2) would you consider including libbiosig into the official mxe-octave
> repository ? What is needed to include this in Octave for windows ?
>
> The procedure to install mexbiosig in Octave is working fine on? Linux
> and macOS through homebrew. It would be great if mexbiosig could be also
> provided to Octave users on Windows. Could you help me with that ?
>

> Best regards,
>
> ? Alois
>

> [1] http://biosig.sourceforge.net/download.html
>
> [2] http://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/biosig/TESTED
>
> [3] https://mxe.cc/
>
> [4] https://github.com/schloegl/mxe
>
> [5] https://github.com/schloegl/mxe/blob/master/src/libbiosig.mk
>

> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Looks like from biosig4c++, you should be running make -f Makefile.win32
It currently fails in the build though with error: conflicting types for
'sopen'

On 01.05.19 22:12, JohnD wrote:

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 01:20:49 +0200
>> From: Alois Schl?gl <[hidden email]>
>> To: <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave
>>

>> Dear maintainers of MXE-OCTAVE,
>>

>> mexbiosig [1] is a mex-file for loading about 50 different Biosig data
>> formats [2] into octave. mexbiosig can than be installed in octave with ?
>>
>>     pkg install mexbiosig-X.Y.Z.src.tar.gz
>>
>> but requires that? libbiosig [1] is available on the host platform.
>> libbiosig for windows can be compiled with mxe [3,4,5]. I tried to
>> compile libbiosig within mxe-octave. However, this was not successful (I
>> just copied src/libbiosig.mk from [5] into a recent mxe-octave directory
>> and tried to run "make libbiosig" in the same way as I used to this mxe.
>> It fails with the message "make: *** No rule to make target
>> 'libbiosig'.? Stop."
>>
>> Therefore, I'm asking:
>>
>> 1) how to compile libbiosig within mxe-octave ? What do I miss here ?
>>
>> 2) would you consider including libbiosig into the official mxe-octave
>> repository ? What is needed to include this in Octave for windows ?
>>
>> The procedure to install mexbiosig in Octave is working fine on? Linux
>> and macOS through homebrew. It would be great if mexbiosig could be also
>> provided to Octave users on Windows. Could you help me with that ?
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> ? Alois
>>

>> [1] http://biosig.sourceforge.net/download.html
>>
>> [2] http://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/biosig/TESTED
>>
>> [3] https://mxe.cc/
>>
>> [4] https://github.com/schloegl/mxe
>>
>> [5] https://github.com/schloegl/mxe/blob/master/src/libbiosig.mk
>>

>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>

> Looks like from biosig4c++, you should be running make -f Makefile.win32
> It currently fails in the build though with error: conflicting types for
> 'sopen'

Dear John,

Yes, it's possible to cross-compile libbiosig on linux for windows.
Usually, I do this with mxe.
   git clone https://github.com/schloegl/mxe.git
   cd mxe
   make libbiosig

The approach if "make -f Makefile.win32" is not supported anymore, but
should be replaced with something like
    TARGET=$(TARGET) CROSS=$(TARGET) make libbiosig

Currently, I'm trying with the attached makefile which I put into
    mxe-octave/src/libbiosig.mk
and apply to attached patch

When trying to run
    mxe-octave$ make libbiosig
it does not do much. Any idea what else is needed ?

Best, Alois

libbiosig.mk (3K) Download Attachment
patch_testing_libbiosig.diff (1K) Download Attachment

RE: how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

Im assuming you ran configure in the mxe-octave directory and its not issues with that.

Mxe-octave was based on an older version of mxe, where I believe there was only a PKG_BUILD target being called, so you need to create a section for:

define $(PKG)_BUILD
endef

and in it call the correct target build

Some of the dependencies you have haven't been built in a long time, so may be rather out of date, or no longer compile in mxe-octave, but I guess you will find that out soon enough if that’s the case.

On 5/3/19 5:48 PM, JohnD wrote:

> [...]
I was not aware about the need to run configure (thanks for the hint).

And yes is does not show any issues.

> Mxe-octave was based on an older version of mxe, where I believe there was only a PKG_BUILD target being called, so you need to create a section for:
>
> define $(PKG)_BUILD
> endef
>
> and in it call the correct target build
>

> Some of the dependencies you have haven't been built in a long time, so may be rather out of date, or no longer compile in mxe-octave, but I guess you will find that out soon enough if that’s the case.

The attached patches and make file compiles libbiosig v1.9.4 . I had to
disable dicom waveform support, but libbiosig will still be quite useful.

Could you include these in mxe-octave ?

Cheers,

   Alois

libbiosig-0002-disable-dcmtk.patch (489 bytes) Download Attachment
libbiosig-0001-mxe-octave.patch (843 bytes) Download Attachment
libbiosig.mk (2K) Download Attachment

RE: how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

That’s still  didn’t work for me in mxe-octave, however I managed to get something working for em and pushed:

https://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/rev/01ced4433575

On 09.05.19 19:45, JohnD wrote:

> [...]

Dear John D.,

looks good to me. For testing this, the following commands should run
without error:

%%% installing mexbiosig %%%
pkg install
https://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/biosig/prereleases/mexbiosig-1.9.4.src.tar.gz

%%% load mexbiosig %%%
pkg load mexbiosig

%%% check mexSLOAD - it shows how to use mexSLOAD %%%
mexSLOAD

%%% load data [1] using mexSLOAD %%%
[s,HDR]=mexSLOAD('SC4002E0-PSG.edf');

% this fails for me when I build mxe-octave and run it on Windows
plot(s(1:1e5,1))

Best,
   Alois

[1]
https://alpha.physionet.org/static/published-projects/sleep-edfx/1.0.0/sleep-cassette/SC4002E0-PSG.edf

RE: how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

I had verified pkg install worked butb was nt sure on the functions, but this works for me in dev octave 5.1.1:

>> [s,HDR]=mexSLOAD('SC4002E0-PSG.edf');
ERROR 3: Error SOPEN(READ); Cannot open file.

>> urlwrite ('https://physionet.org/pn6/sleep-edfx/sleep-cassette/SC4002E0-PSG.edf', 'SC4002E0-PSG.edf')

>> [s,HDR]=mexSLOAD('SC4002E0-PSG.edf');
Warning mexSLOAD: Overflowdetection not supported in file SC4002E0-PSG.edf

On 5/10/19 1:51 PM, JohnD wrote:

> [...]

That is ok. The warning is expected for this type of file. The warning
can be disabled with

[s,HDR]=mexSLOAD('SC4002E0-PSG.edf',0,'OVERFLOWDETECTION:OFF');

Attached is a version for building libbiosig.dll. I guess, this might be useful in mxe-octave.

Cheers,
   Alois

libbiosig.mk (3K) Download Attachment

Re: how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave

Alois Schloegl-7
Dear JohnD,
dear maintainers of mxe-octave,

please consider the attached patches for mxe-octave.

- one is upgrading libbiosig to v1.9.5, it addresses the following issues:
   some bug fixes (see also
https://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/biosig/RELEASE-NOTES)
   support of *.dll files added,
   support for dicom waveform enabled

- The other patch is fixing the use of pwd in Makefile. "pwd -W..."
does not work for me (running mxe-octave on Debian 10), I assume it
should be "pwd -L"

Thanks for considering.

Cheeers,
   Alois

mxe-octave-0002-libbiosig-upgrade-v195.patch (3K) Download Attachment
mxe-octave-0001-fix-pwd-in-makefile.patch (1K) Download Attachment

RE: how to make mexbiosig work on mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

In regards to the pwd patch, what  configure option did you use ? as the 1st change you made would only be used to doing a native mingw compile, and the 2nd change, if you were doing a compile for Microsoft visual c++

On 8/9/19 6:08 PM, JohnD wrote:

> [...]

Hi John,

I can not reproduce this. A fresh and clean start is working for me; so
please ignore this patch.

Best,

    Alois