https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

William Stein
Dear Octave Maintainers,

Would it be possible to list my company -- SageMath, Inc. -- here:

   https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

If so I would write up a short paragraph, subject to your approval of course.

The way in which we support Octave is that we provide a service called
CoCalc that makes it easy to Octave for teaching classes (and also
collaborative research), mainly via Jupyter notebooks:

   https://cocalc.com/doc/octave.html

Though the core site code is free
(https://github.com/sagemathinc/cocalc-docker), we sell support and
hosting to a lot of universities and some companies.   Frequently they
will ask us support questions, sometimes involving Octave (e.g., how
do I plot this?, can you install that package?), and we'll answer
them.

 -- William

--

Best Regards,
William Stein

CEO, SageMath, Inc.
https://cocalc.com

Re: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

siko1056
On 5/16/20 12:46 AM, William Stein wrote:

> Dear Octave Maintainers,
>
> Would it be possible to list my company -- SageMath, Inc. -- here:
>
>    https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html
>
> If so I would write up a short paragraph, subject to your approval of course.
>
> The way in which we support Octave is that we provide a service called
> CoCalc that makes it easy to Octave for teaching classes (and also
> collaborative research), mainly via Jupyter notebooks:
>
>    https://cocalc.com/doc/octave.html
>
> Though the core site code is free
> (https://github.com/sagemathinc/cocalc-docker), we sell support and
> hosting to a lot of universities and some companies.   Frequently they
> will ask us support questions, sometimes involving Octave (e.g., how
> do I plot this?, can you install that package?), and we'll answer
> them.
>
>  -- William

Dear William,

CoCalc looks like a great tool for teaching and universities.  Your
software is free and open-source, one can run CoCalc on-premises, you
let people try the cloud version for free, and you seem capable of
providing commercial support for Octave.  To my knowledge there are no
formal criteria to be listed on this page yet.

If there are no objections by jwe and other maintainers, I would be
happy to add an entry for your company to the Octave website.

Kai

Re: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2020-05-16 7:57 a.m., Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> CoCalc looks like a great tool for teaching and universities.  Your
> software is free and open-source, one can run CoCalc on-premises, you
> let people try the cloud version for free, and you seem capable of
> providing commercial support for Octave.  To my knowledge there are no
> formal criteria to be listed on this page yet.
>
> If there are no objections by jwe and other maintainers, I would be
> happy to add an entry for your company to the Octave website.

Hi Kai,

I also vouch for William, having worked with Sage and the precursors of
CoCalc in the past.  He does indeed provide excellent support.  At least
at that time, he was a true Free Software believer (which I mean as a
compliment!)

I'm not a "core maintainer" but I certainly have no objections to this.

Colin

Re: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

edmund ronald
The more, the merrier! I have seen nice things written about support of Octave in the Sage system, btw.

Edmund

Colin

On 5/17/20 8:08 AM, edmund ronald wrote:

> On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 11:07 PM Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 2020-05-16 7:57 a.m., Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>     > CoCalc looks like a great tool for teaching and universities.  Your
>     > software is free and open-source, one can run CoCalc on-premises, you
>     > let people try the cloud version for free, and you seem capable of
>     > providing commercial support for Octave.  To my knowledge there are no
>     > formal criteria to be listed on this page yet.
>     >
>     > If there are no objections by jwe and other maintainers, I would be
>     > happy to add an entry for your company to the Octave website.
>
>     Hi Kai,
>
>     I also vouch for William, having worked with Sage and the precursors of
>     CoCalc in the past.  He does indeed provide excellent support.  At
>     least
>     at that time, he was a true Free Software believer (which I mean as a
>     compliment!)
>
>     I'm not a "core maintainer" but I certainly have no objections to this.
>
>     Colin
>
> The more, the merrier! I have seen nice things written about support of
> Octave in the Sage system, btw.
>
> Edmund

Dear William,

The echo so far was positive.  The absence of comments by major Octave
maintainers I interpret as "no news is good news" ;-)

Could you please write a short paragraph describing CoCalc, then I can
add that paragraph to the Octave website.

Kai

Re: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

William Stein
Thanks everybody!  We're working on writing a paragraph to add to the site.

 Best regards,

William

--

Best Regards,
William Stein

CEO, SageMath, Inc.
https://cocalc.com

Re: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

William Stein
Hello,

Would the following HTML snippet work for the website:

<li>
is an online service that provides GNU Octave via Linux Terminals,
Jupyter Notebooks and X11 desktops, with full support for realtime
collaboration.  Moreover, CoCalc features a course management system
that is tailored for teaching courses online.
    The company Sagemath, Inc. develops and operates CoCalc.
    You can start working with the <a href="https://cocalc.com">online
service</a> for free
    and upgrade later for a better experience.
    You can also run your own CoCalc on-premises.
</li>

--

Best Regards,
William Stein

CEO, SageMath, Inc.
https://cocalc.com

Re: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

edmund ronald
William, as this is an important entry gate for customers, you might wish to clarify what the "user value" is before the text is set in stone. Eg. explaining that this allows bringing up a pool of instances for teaching, sidesteps installation and maintenance issues etc.

Edmund

--

Best Regards,
William Stein

CEO, SageMath, Inc.
https://cocalc.com

On 5/20/20 11:22 AM, edmund ronald wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 8:45 PM William Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Would the following HTML snippet work for the website:
>
>     <li>
>         <a
>     is an online service that provides GNU Octave via Linux Terminals,
>     Jupyter Notebooks and X11 desktops, with full support for realtime
>     collaboration.  Moreover, CoCalc features a course management system
>     that is tailored for teaching courses online.
>         The company Sagemath, Inc. develops and operates CoCalc.
>         You can start working with the <a href="https://cocalc.com">online
>     service</a> for free
>         and upgrade later for a better experience.
>         You can also run your own CoCalc on-premises.
>     </li>
>

> William, as this is an important entry gate for customers, you might
> wish to clarify what the "user value" is before the text is set in
> stone. Eg. explaining that this allows bringing up a pool of instances
> for teaching, sidesteps installation and maintenance issues etc.
>
> Edmund

Thank you for the snippet William and for considering being mentioned on
the Octave website.  I added the snippet to the website repo [1] and
should be visible online [2] by now.

Edmund, even though updating the website is not super easy, we do not
have to be worried about "texts to be set into stone".  At least I am
(and hopefully others [3] too) able to make changes to the Savannah CVS
beast if the snipped should be altered ;-)

Kai

[1] https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/rev/0fe4f2163a9c
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html
[3] https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/file/0fe4f2163a9c/README.md

Re: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

edmund ronald
Kai btw, there used to a reference to my own Octave VM package for the Mac; I can't find it any more - is there any reason this has been removed, eg user complaints?

Edmund

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 7:20 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/20/20 11:22 AM, edmund ronald wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 8:45 PM William Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Would the following HTML snippet work for the website:
>
>     <li>
>         <a
>     is an online service that provides GNU Octave via Linux Terminals,
>     Jupyter Notebooks and X11 desktops, with full support for realtime
>     collaboration.  Moreover, CoCalc features a course management system
>     that is tailored for teaching courses online.
>         The company Sagemath, Inc. develops and operates CoCalc.
>         You can start working with the <a href="https://cocalc.com">online
>     service</a> for free
>         and upgrade later for a better experience.
>         You can also run your own CoCalc on-premises.
>     </li>
>

> William, as this is an important entry gate for customers, you might
> wish to clarify what the "user value" is before the text is set in
> stone. Eg. explaining that this allows bringing up a pool of instances
> for teaching, sidesteps installation and maintenance issues etc.
>
> Edmund

Thank you for the snippet William and for considering being mentioned on
the Octave website.  I added the snippet to the website repo [1] and
should be visible online [2] by now.

Edmund, even though updating the website is not super easy, we do not
have to be worried about "texts to be set into stone".  At least I am
(and hopefully others [3] too) able to make changes to the Savannah CVS
beast if the snipped should be altered ;-)

Kai

[1] https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/rev/0fe4f2163a9c
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html
[3] https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/file/0fe4f2163a9c/README.md

Octave VM package for Mac

siko1056
On 5/20/20 2:40 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
> Kai btw, there used to a reference to my own Octave VM package for the
> Mac; I can't find it any more - is there any reason this has been
> removed, eg user complaints?
>
> Edmund

Edmund, I recently overhauled the wiki [1] after failing to give
installation advice to a new macOS user.  Finally, I got Octave to work
quite easily with Homebrew.

That page [2] was of no help anymore.  Too many outdated options for
installation and too much overwhelming (outdated) information for users
who just want to get a recent Octave version to work.

I do not doubt your VM approach still works.  I skimmed the readme
provided in the Google Drive zip from 2016 and read about three tools to
install and was not convinced that this is the "easy way" to go for a
student to install Octave.  The advertised Octave version 4.2.2, as well
as macOS versions (10.13, "High Sierra", 2017, end of support 2020) are
rather old.  Thus I have decided to move your project to an outdated
wiki page [3].

This is of course a wiki, no decision is final.  If you update your
project description for recent Octave and macOS versions, you can add
that information anywhere in the wiki you find it useful.

Kai

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_macOS
[2]
https://wiki.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_macOS&oldid=12969
[3]
https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_macOS_(outdated)#Octave_4.2.2_VM_installer_for_Mac_OS_X_10.10_Yosemite.2C_10.11_El_Capitan.2C_10.12_Sierra.2C_10.13_High_Sierra

Re: Octave VM package for Mac

edmund ronald
Kai,

Thank you! I should have updated the descriptions, I'll check it out again, update it, and then maybe we can relist it.

The point about the script was that it autodownloaded the latest Octave stable from the repository, but maybe it's time that I update it to a later Ubuntu version as well.

I'll be in touch here as soon as I've verified the state of play.

A lot of people run old versions of Mac OS for various reasons, as you're doubtless aware, one reason being that the latest do not run 32 bit software and some users have considerable native software investments.  I've noticed a considerable aging of the installed Mac base. My expectation would be that students with the latest machines would also be running ... Matlab :)

Edmund