imread

Ben salah
Hi,
I was installed the octave and ImageMagick software successfuly.
I was installed octave under the folder: c:/Program Files/GNU Octave 2.1.72
and ImageMagick under the folder:
c:/Program Files/GNU Octave 2.1.72/bin/ImageMagick-6.2.6
and I tried to read an image file by writing in the octave prompt:
im=imread('im1.bmp'); and there was this messag error:

error: could not read file: C:/Program Files/GNU Octave 2.1.72/tmp/oct-22f298.1
error: evaluating if command near line 189, column 4
error: called from `imread' in file `/usr/share/octave/site/m/octave-forge/image/imread.m' message

I would like to add that the image file is saved in this folder:
c:/Program Files/GNU Octave 2.1.72/octave_files/

please help me, I really need a help
Think you very much

Re: imread

Andy Adler
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Ben salah wrote:

> I was installed the octave and ImageMagick software successfuly.
> I was installed octave under the folder: c:/Program Files/GNU Octave 2.1.72
> and ImageMagick under the folder:
> c:/Program Files/GNU Octave 2.1.72/bin/ImageMagick-6.2.6
> and I tried to read an image file by writing in the octave prompt:
> im=imread('im1.bmp'); and there was this messag error:
>
> error: could not read file: C:/Program Files/GNU Octave
> 2.1.72/tmp/oct-22f298.1
> error: evaluating if command near line 189, column 4
> error: called from `imread' in file
> `/usr/share/octave/site/m/octave-forge/image/imread.m' message
>
> I would like to add that the image file is saved in this folder:
> c:/Program Files/GNU Octave 2.1.72/octave_files/

THis is the same question you asked previously. Have you
tried the advice given? What was the result?

Again, what do you get from
octave:> system("which convert")

--
Andy Adler <[hidden email]> 1(613)562-5800x6218

Re: imread

Ben salah
Hello,
yes you are all right and I think you very much.
I has reinstalled octave with the last update octave 2.1.72. and I has reinstalled ImageMagick as I sad in the previous message.
when I type system('which convert') the result is:
convert: Command not found.
ans = 1
Think you very much

Re: imread

Agnes Bousquier
Have you installed Cygwin to make Octave run under Windows? If so, you
will have to download Imagemagick's sources and compile them under
cygwin, as octave will only recognize binaries running under Cygwin.

best regards,

Agnès

Ben salah a écrit :

> Hello,
> yes you are all right and I think you very much.
> I has reinstalled octave with the last update octave 2.1.72. and I has
> reinstalled ImageMagick as I sad in the previous message.
> when I type system('which convert') the result is:
> convert: Command not found.
> ans = 1
> Think you very much
> Sent from the Octave - General forum at Nabble.com.

Re: imread

Andy Adler
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Ben salah wrote:

> I has reinstalled octave with the last update octave 2.1.72. and I has
> reinstalled ImageMagick as I sad in the previous message.
> when I type system('which convert') the result is:
> convert: Command not found.
> ans = 1

THis means that imagemagick's convert is not found. Note that
it must be the convert program from imagemagick. SOme microsoft
developer tools also offer a convert program which will convert
your disk from fat32 to ntfs. You probably don't want that.

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Agnes Bousquier wrote:

> Have you installed Cygwin to make Octave run under Windows? If so, you
> will have to download Imagemagick's sources and compile them under
> cygwin, as octave will only recognize binaries running under Cygwin.

In fact, you do not need to do either of these.

Imagemagick can be installed directly from cygwin.com if you
want the cygwin version. However, you do not need to use the
cygwin binaries. The imread code uses a full path (with the
drive letter), so that an imagemagick windows binary will
work.

--
Andy Adler <[hidden email]> 1(613)562-5800x6218

Re: imread

LLX6
img=imread("c:\\bmp1.bmp"); i get same error as original op. octave>system("which convert") results in command not found ans=1.
i have PATH=c:\program files\imagemagick-6.2.6-q16;
win2k install. what is solution?.

Re: imread

LLX6
updated to latest release (..73..) and that left me with one error. Opening a tif file under octave_files results in error in imagemagick's identify on octave_files/abc.tif file.

Re: imread

LLX6
it still is problem with recognizing imagemagick's path. how to config win2k's octave so that it sees imagemagick's utlities?.

Re: imread

Andy Adler
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, LLX6 (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> img=imread("c:\\bmp1.bmp"); i get same error as original op.
> octave>system("which convert") results in command not found ans=1.
> i have PATH=c:\program files\imagemagick-6.2.6-q16;
> win2k install. what is solution?.

You will need to provide lots more information if you
would like to get useful help.
- What octave version are you using?
- What operating system?
- What did you do exactly?
- What happened?
- What did octave do that you didn't want?

--
Andy Adler <[hidden email]> 1(613)562-5800x6218

Re: imread

LLX6
-octave version 2.1.72.
-Windows 2000.
-trying to open a tif image. coped it to octave-files folder.
I=imread('tifimage.tif');
got:
error: could not read file: C:/Program Files/GNU Octave 2.1.72/tmp/oct-22fbe8.2
error: evaluating if command near line 189, column 4
error: called from `imread' in file `/usr/share/octave/site/m/octave-forge/image/imread.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 14, column 2

this is in my path also:
C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.2.6-Q16

system("which convert") resulted in convert not found.

Re: imread

LLX6
can someone exaplain step by step how to make octave/imagemagick work under windows 2000?.
octave 2.1.72. imagemagick latest binaries.

Re: imread

Stéfan van der Walt
On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 03:25:39PM -0800, LLX6 (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> can someone exaplain step by step how to make octave/imagemagick work under
> windows 2000?.
> octave 2.1.72. imagemagick latest binaries.

I assume you are using the binary release from octave.sf.net?  (I see
on

http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForWindows

that a newer version is available, btw).

I don't use the windows platform, but it sounds like you need to put
the path to 'convert' on your system path.  IIRC, you click on My
Computer (left button) -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment
Variables.  Set your path.  You should be able to run "convert" from
a command shell.

Cheers
Stéfan

Re: imread

Bill Denney
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Stefan van der Walt wrote:

> I assume you are using the binary release from octave.sf.net?  (I see on
> http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForWindows that a newer version is
> available, btw).

I'm glad that I updated that earlier today, then.

Bill

--
"To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state."
   -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: imread

LLX6
first i installed cygwin under c:\cygwin. in its bin directory double clicked on octave.exe. nothing happened except opening a shell window with nothing in it. In same folder double clicked on octave-2.1.73.exe and that gave me missing dll.  then downloaded octave-2.1.73.inst and gave me cgywin is installed and won't run under cgywin warning. unistalled cgywin and installeded octave from octave-2.1.73-inst. if i am not on right track please tell me the steps. secodly, where do install the ImageMagick and how to make octave to see it?. thridly, in linux 2.1.40 version i do not find imread utility.

Re: imread

Miquel Cabanas
what a mess, first cygwin, then the cygwin-incompatible version of
octave, then you want imagemagick...

DISCLAIMER: what follows is my advice, you probably should wait for
other users replies/comments before blindly following it.

My recommendation is that you jump back to cygwin and install everything
from there. That way you will have an integrated set of programs.

For that, remove first everything you have installed so far and start
from scratch by following the simple and excellent installation
instructions by Paul Solderlind,

http://home.tiscalinet.ch/paulsoderlind/Software/Software.html#OctaveInstallation

Make sure you install the octave (2.1.73), one/any/all of the octave
documentation packages, octave-forge (2006.03.17-1), gnuplot (4.0.0-1),
and imagemagick (6.0.4-1) packages (and any other that you want). Also,
emacs/Xemacs, vim, nedit, texmacs could be useful as editors. Indeed,
you can run octave from within emacs/xemacs and texmacs.

Package dependencies will be handled by the program and all required
packages will be automagically installed.

Miquel

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Miquel Cabanas wrote:

> what a mess, first cygwin, then the cygwin-incompatible version of
> octave, then you want imagemagick...

At this point, with all the difficulty that has been encountered, I'd
uninstall cygwin, delete the c:\cygwin directory, and then reinstall it.

> For that, remove first everything you have installed so far and start
> from scratch by following the simple and excellent installation
> instructions by Paul Solderlind,
>
> http://home.tiscalinet.ch/paulsoderlind/Software/Software.html#OctaveInstallation
>
> Make sure you install the octave (2.1.73), one/any/all of the octave
> documentation packages, octave-forge (2006.03.17-1), gnuplot (4.0.0-1),
> and imagemagick (6.0.4-1) packages (and any other that you want). Also,
> emacs/Xemacs, vim, nedit, texmacs could be useful as editors. Indeed,
> you can run octave from within emacs/xemacs and texmacs.
>
> Package dependencies will be handled by the program and all required
> packages will be automagically installed.

Somewhat more detailed instructions can be found at
http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForWindows .

Bill

--
"If you can't explain it to your grandmother, then you don't understand it
yourself."

Re: imread

LLX6
downloaded cygwin package under windows 2000. ran octave and launched octave 2.1.73.imread has trouble with reading space inside folder name. secondly when i moved image to c:\ it gave me convert failed. -tif file-.  (ran cd /cygdrive/c/ beforehand).