imshow error - your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bits per pixel

imshow error - your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bits per pixel

jairomarcel
Hi guys. I'm having a problem to show an image that I'm getting as argument from the command line, I set the image filename to a variavel and then I read the image to a variable with imread() and then show the image with imshow() but I'm getting this message that is in the subject, I already saw in others forums that graphicsmagick should be build using this command ./configure  --with-quantum-depth=16 --enable-shared --disable-static --with-magick-plus-plus=yes , but it is already installed and if I try to unistall just graphicsmagick it will request to unistall all the files for octave, but there isn't a easier way to change the image limit, this configuration probably is set in any file, does anyone can help me with this?

Thanks for now.

Re: imshow error - your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bits per pixel

bpabbott
Administrator
On Sep 12, 2014, at 4:05 PM, jairomarcel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys. I'm having a problem to show an image that I'm getting as argument
> from the command line, I set the image filename to a variavel and then I
> read the image to a variable with imread() and then show the image with
> imshow() but I'm getting this message that is in the subject, I already saw
> in others forums that graphicsmagick should be build using this command
> .*/configure  --with-quantum-depth=16 --enable-shared --disable-static
> --with-magick-plus-plus=yes* , but it is already installed and if I try to
> unistall just graphicsmagick it will request to unistall all the files for
> octave, but there isn't a easier way to change the image limit, this
> configuration probably is set in any file, does anyone can help me with
> this?
>
> Thanks for now.

How did you install Graphicsmagick?  Using some package manager I assume?

If you can tell us which one, someone familiar with it should be able to tell you have to replace "--with-quantum-depth=8" with "--with-quantum-depth=16" (I'm using --with-quantum-depth=32 without any problem).

Ben

Re: imshow error - your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bits per pixel

Mike Miller
On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 20:14:13 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2014, at 4:05 PM, jairomarcel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi guys. I'm having a problem to show an image that I'm getting as argument
> > from the command line, I set the image filename to a variavel and then I
> > read the image to a variable with imread() and then show the image with
> > imshow() but I'm getting this message that is in the subject, I already saw
> > in others forums that graphicsmagick should be build using this command
> > .*/configure  --with-quantum-depth=16 --enable-shared --disable-static
> > --with-magick-plus-plus=yes* , but it is already installed and if I try to
> > unistall just graphicsmagick it will request to unistall all the files for
> > octave, but there isn't a easier way to change the image limit, this
> > configuration probably is set in any file, does anyone can help me with
> > this?
> >
> > Thanks for now.
>
> How did you install Graphicsmagick?  Using some package manager I assume?
>
> If you can tell us which one, someone familiar with it should be able
> to tell you have to replace "--with-quantum-depth=8" with
> "--with-quantum-depth=16" (I'm using --with-quantum-depth=32 without
> any problem).
Also have a look at http://wiki.octave.org/GraphicsMagick. If it is
missing information or can be improved, feel free to add to it.

Re: imshow error - your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bits per pixel

Carnë Draug
On Sep 12, 2014; 9:05pm, jairomarcel said:

> [...] I already saw in others forums that graphicsmagick should be build
> using this command
>
> ./configure  --with-quantum-depth=16 --enable-shared --disable-static --with-magick-plus-plus=yes
>
> but it is already installed and if I try to unistall just graphicsmagick it
> will request to unistall all the files for octave, but there isn't a easier
> way to change the image limit, this configuration probably is set in any
> file, does anyone can help me with this?

After you build GraphicsMagick from source, you will need to rebuild Octave
with your new build of GraphicsMagick.  The fact that trying to uninstall
GraphicsMagick with your package manager is uninstalling Octave suggests me
that you are using Octave from your package manager, not the one built by you.

I believe the only distro still distributing GraphicsMagick built with
quantum depth 8 is Debian so I am guessing you are using Debian or one of
its derivatives (such as Ubuntu). You can find details on how to build Octave
from source on the Octave wiki [1] but either way, leave a comment on the
Debian bug #557879 about this [2] so we can stop recommending Debian users
that do image processing to rebuild Octave from source.

Carnë

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Debian
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=557879

Re: imshow error - your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bits per pixel

jairomarcel
Thanks for the response. I installed octave and all the dependencies using yum on Red Hat. There is a way to call the configuration for GraphicsMagick as it is already installed and came with 8 bits limit?

Thanks.