install script problem with OS/2 version

install script problem with OS/2 version

wkim+
I just got octave 2.02 from Hobbes.nmsu.edu.
However, its installaion script inst-octave.cmd is almost unusable for
me.  inst-octave.cmd has many problems that
 - it failed to parse config.sys line if it start with blank spaces.
 - it stopped with just blank screen during installation without
    message (I know why.  It was when prompting for a user input, but
    stdio was redirected to NUL in the .cmd script.  Removing screen
    log messages during installation seems to be not a good idea.)
 - it tried to delete octave\* files (I unpacked under \math\octave\)
 - unzip needs '-o' option. (I unpacked package over old octave dir.)
 - Even if config.sys had correct settings, it created new
    config.sys but with wrong duplicated octave paths.
 - it assumes that INFOPATH is a single path and ends with '/',
   but this assumption is wrong. (e.g. INFOPATH=.;d:/lib/gnuinfo)
 - I touched .cmd here and there, but it still wasn't perfect.
    I didn't bother myself more with this script and decided to go for
    manual installation.

Anyway, I thank Klaus Gebhardt for this OS/2 version.

A question:
---------------
G:\tmp>octave
Octave 2.0.2 for OS/2 2.x and Warp.
(Patchlevel 2.02-b01).
Copyright (C) 1996 John W. Eaton.
OS/2-Port by Klaus Gebhardt, 1996 - 1997.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details, type `warranty'.

error: No such file or directory
octave:1>
-----------------

Why do I have "error: No such ..." line in the above?

(Where is the proper place for octaverc?  I had it in
octave\scripts\startup\, but copying it to .octaverc or to HOME dir
didn't remove the error message.  However octave is working well.)

//--------------------------------------------------------------------
// Wonkoo Kim ([hidden email])

install script problem with OS/2 version

John W. Eaton-6
On  4-Feb-1997, Wonkoo Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:

| A question:
| ---------------
| G:\tmp>octave
| Octave 2.0.2 for OS/2 2.x and Warp.
| (Patchlevel 2.02-b01).
| Copyright (C) 1996 John W. Eaton.
| OS/2-Port by Klaus Gebhardt, 1996 - 1997.
| This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
| For details, type `warranty'.
|
| error: No such file or directory
| octave:1>
| -----------------
|
| Why do I have "error: No such ..." line in the above?

This message is printed because the history file is missing.  I'm not
sure about the OS/2 port, but for Octave running on Unix systems, the
default history file is $HOME/.octave_hist.  In the next release,
Octave won't print the message even if the file is missing.

Re: install script problem with OS/2 version

Bernt Nilsson
On Tue, 04 Feb 97 20:41:10 -0500, Wonkoo Kim wrote:

>error: No such file or directory
>
>Why do I have "error: No such ..." line in the above?

In my case it was because I had the wrong path (in octaverc) for GnuPlot. Check the
GnuPlot-environment variable in CONFIG.SYS and octaverc. I think all I had to do was to add a
double-backslash in octaverc instead of the forwardslash that's there from the start.

Bernt

Re: install script problem with OS/2 version

root-131

 > - it failed to parse config.sys line if it start with blank spaces.

That's new bug report. I will fix it. Thanks.

 > - it stopped with just blank screen during installation without
 >    message (I know why.  It was when prompting for a user input, but
 >    stdio was redirected to NUL in the .cmd script.  Removing screen
 >    log messages during installation seems to be not a good idea.)

I assume this hapens while unzipping the scripts. I will modifiy this.
Thanks again.

 > - it assumes that INFOPATH is a single path and ends with '/',
 >   but this assumption is wrong. (e.g. INFOPATH=.;d:/lib/gnuinfo)

Thanks for the report.

 > - it tried to delete octave\* files (I unpacked under \math\octave\)

Which files?

 > - Even if config.sys had correct settings, it created new
 >    config.sys but with wrong duplicated octave paths.

I thought i had fixed this. Could you please send your original config.sys
to [hidden email], so that i can fix this.

 > - I touched .cmd here and there, but it still wasn't perfect.
 >    I didn't bother myself more with this script and decided to go for
 >    manual installation.

This script is far from being perfect, but it helped some Users alot. I can
test the script on only three machines, so there are still bugs unknown.

 > Why do I have "error: No such ..." line in the above?

Maybe the .octave_hist file is missing.

 > (Where is the proper place for octaverc?  I had it in
 > octave\scripts\startup\, but copying it to .octaverc or to HOME dir
 > didn't remove the error message.  However octave is working well.)

The correct place is 'octave\scripts\startup\'. And you should also have
a file .octaverc in your home directory. Is the environment variable
OCTAVE_HOME set?

 > However octave is working well.

Glad to hear and a again thanks for your bug reports and suggestions. I will
include them in the next build.

Bye,
Klaus Gebhardt [TEAM OS/2]

Re: install script problem with OS/2 version

wkim+
> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 97 21:31:30 -0600
> From: "John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: install script problem with OS/2 version
>
> | G:\tmp>octave
> | Octave 2.0.2 for OS/2 2.x and Warp.
> | (Patchlevel 2.02-b01).
> | Copyright (C) 1996 John W. Eaton.
> | OS/2-Port by Klaus Gebhardt, 1996 - 1997.
> | This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> | For details, type `warranty'.
> |
> | error: No such file or directory
> | octave:1>
> |
> | Why do I have "error: No such ..." line in the above?
>
> This message is printed because the history file is missing.  I'm not
> sure about the OS/2 port, but for Octave running on Unix systems, the
> default history file is $HOME/.octave_hist.  In the next release,
> Octave won't print the message even if the file is missing.

Yes, it was due to missing history file.  Thanks.

// Wonkoo Kim ([hidden email])