invoking cca

Dr. G. Buerger-2
Hi octave,

sorry for my recent posting regarding the `cca' problem. It had the
simple answer that there was an old script file named cca.m in my
directory, and I didn't know about octave's capabilities of invoking
scripts by just typing their base name.

But then one must carefully distinguish script and function names, or
at least take "." out of the LOADPATH.

Thanx,
        Gerd

... thinking of it, LOADPATH does not distinguish, say, ...m/signal
and ...m/misc, so that one should really keep things clean and remove
or rename unused files.

invoking cca

John W. Eaton-6
On 14-Aug-1998, Dr. G. Buerger <[hidden email]> wrote:

| sorry for my recent posting regarding the `cca' problem. It had the
| simple answer that there was an old script file named cca.m in my
| directory, and I didn't know about octave's capabilities of invoking
| scripts by just typing their base name.
|
| But then one must carefully distinguish script and function names, or
| at least take "." out of the LOADPATH.
|
| Thanx,
| Gerd
|
| ... thinking of it, LOADPATH does not distinguish, say, ...m/signal
| and ...m/misc, so that one should really keep things clean and remove
| or rename unused files.

Sorry, I missed this before I replied (too much mail has stacked up
lately :-( ).

Still, I don't understand why Octave was hanging when you tried to
execute the cca script.  Was that happening because of something
particular to your script, or is it a bug in the Emacs mode for
Octave?  If it seems to be the latter, can you tell me precisely how
to reproduce the problem?

In any case, I believe that you are right that Octave does not
currently have a way to warn you that there may be multiple files with
the same name in your LOADPATH.  Something like that would be a nice
feature to have though.