is octave good for video processing?

namithamathew
sir,
i m new in using LINUX platform.
i m using UBUNTU 12.04 version.
i want to do real time object tracking using kalman filter in linux. Is octave good for video processing.?
i can use the recorded video too,,,
I installed GNU octave via ubuntu sotware centre. what is the next step to do for compiling video in octave..
i tried scilab software... bt it is not installing propperly...???