is the src re-org finished ?

Rik-4
On 08/03/2012 08:21 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> is the src re-org finished ?
8/3/12

Ben,

It's close.  I checked in another subdirectory this morning and if I don't
run into problems will have the final directory done in a few hours.

--Rik

Re: is the src re-org finished ?

Daniel Sebald
On 08/03/2012 11:49 AM, Rik wrote:
>> is the src re-org finished ?
> 8/3/12
>
> Ben,
>
> It's close.  I checked in another subdirectory this morning and if I don't
> run into problems will have the final directory done in a few hours.

Should pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h be moved to the parse-tree subdirectory?

Dan

Re: is the src re-org finished ?

Rik-4
On 08/03/2012 10:00 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> On 08/03/2012 11:49 AM, Rik wrote:
>>> is the src re-org finished ?
>> 8/3/12
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> It's close.  I checked in another subdirectory this morning and if I don't
>> run into problems will have the final directory done in a few hours.
>
> Should pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h be moved to the parse-tree subdirectory?
I already have that question outstanding with Max.  Hopefully he'll get
back to me some time today so I can finalize that.

--Rik

Re: is the src re-org finished ?

Max Brister
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/03/2012 10:00 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>>> 8/3/12
>>>
>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> It's close.  I checked in another subdirectory this morning and if I don't
>>> run into problems will have the final directory done in a few hours.
>>
>> Should pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h be moved to the parse-tree subdirectory?
> I already have that question outstanding with Max.  Hopefully he'll get
> back to me some time today so I can finalize that.
>
> --Rik

pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h belong with jit. I'm going to rename them
(probably to jit-convert.cc and jit-convert.h) after I am done with
the patch I'm currently working on.

Max Brister

Re: is the src re-org finished ?

On  3-Aug-2012, Max Brister wrote:

| On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:

| >> Should pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h be moved to the parse-tree subdirectory?
| > I already have that question outstanding with Max.  Hopefully he'll get
| > back to me some time today so I can finalize that.
| >
| > --Rik
|
| pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h belong with jit. I'm going to rename them
| (probably to jit-convert.cc and jit-convert.h) after I am done with
| the patch I'm currently working on.

It just uses the tree_walker visitor class for the parse tree,
correct?

The other classes that use this interface to the parse tree are
currently all in the parse-tree subdirectory, but I don't see that
they have to be there.

As another example, do the pt-bp.{h,cc} files that handle setting
breakpoints for the debugger belong with the parse tree or the other
files that are used to implement the debugger?

Re: is the src re-org finished ?

Daniel Sebald
On 08/03/2012 12:38 PM, Max Brister wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Rik<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Should pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h be moved to the parse-tree subdirectory?
>> I already have that question outstanding with Max.  Hopefully he'll get
>> back to me some time today so I can finalize that.
>>
>> --Rik
>
> pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h belong with jit. I'm going to rename them
> (probably to jit-convert.cc and jit-convert.h) after I am done with
> the patch I'm currently working on.
>
> Max Brister

OK.  Another question.  When a number of files start accumulating with
"jit-" and "oct-" at the beginning, it is effectively the same as a
subdirectory.  Should these groups be moved to their own subdirectory?

If Rik hasn't done so already, should sparse-xdiv.cc, sparse-xdiv.h,
sparse-xpow.cc, sparse-xpow.h be moved to liboctave?

Dan

Re: is the src re-org finished ?

Daniel Sebald
On 08/03/2012 12:50 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On  3-Aug-2012, Max Brister wrote:

> |>  I already have that question outstanding with Max.  Hopefully he'll get
> |>  back to me some time today so I can finalize that.
> |>
> |>  --Rik
> |
> | pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h belong with jit. I'm going to rename them
> | (probably to jit-convert.cc and jit-convert.h) after I am done with
> | the patch I'm currently working on.
>
> It just uses the tree_walker visitor class for the parse tree,
> correct?
>
> The other classes that use this interface to the parse tree are
> currently all in the parse-tree subdirectory, but I don't see that
> they have to be there.
>
> As another example, do the pt-bp.{h,cc} files that handle setting
> breakpoints for the debugger belong with the parse tree or the other
> files that are used to implement the debugger?
>
> jwe

Well, along the lines of what I just sent, pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h could
retain their file name if grouped under a "jit" subdirectory along with
the other just-in-time files.

Dan

Re: is the src re-org finished ?

On  3-Aug-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| If Rik hasn't done so already, should sparse-xdiv.cc, sparse-xdiv.h,
| sparse-xpow.cc, sparse-xpow.h be moved to liboctave?

They can't be moved to liboctave.  They require octave_value objects
which are defined in liboctinterp.  The liboctinterp library can
depend on liboctave, but not the other way around.

Re: is the src re-org finished ?

Max Brister
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On  3-Aug-2012, Max Brister wrote:

> | > I already have that question outstanding with Max.  Hopefully he'll get
> | > back to me some time today so I can finalize that.
> | >
> | > --Rik
> |
> | pt-jit.cc and pt-jit.h belong with jit. I'm going to rename them
> | (probably to jit-convert.cc and jit-convert.h) after I am done with
> | the patch I'm currently working on.
>
> It just uses the tree_walker visitor class for the parse tree,
> correct?

It is a tree_walker visitor, but it also deals with other things like
constructing the SSA and managing memory for the low level IR. This is
poor design, but I'm not quite sure how to split up the
responsibilities of the class. I am hoping this will become more
obvious when I implement compilation of user functions.

> The other classes that use this interface to the parse tree are
> currently all in the parse-tree subdirectory, but I don't see that
> they have to be there.
>
> As another example, do the pt-bp.{h,cc} files that handle setting
> breakpoints for the debugger belong with the parse tree or the other
> files that are used to implement the debugger?

It seems to me like that file should go with the other files that are
used to implement the debugger. It seems to me that it uses the parse
tree, but is not really a part of the parse tree. Instead it is a part
of the debugger.

> jwe

Max Brister