isosurface-like tool

Søren Hauberg
Hi,
Matlab has a function named 'isosurface' that can be used to visualize
certain structures in 3D. Now, I'm not familiar with isosurface so I
don't need a function that works in the same way isosurface, but I need
a function that can help me visualize 3D surfaces like isosurface can.
So, does anybody know of functions like isosurface that works with
octave?

Thanks,
Søren

Re: isosurface-like tool

Michael Creel
No matlab to look at here, but will contour.m help you?

Søren Hauberg wrote:

> Hi,
> Matlab has a function named 'isosurface' that can be used to visualize
> certain structures in 3D. Now, I'm not familiar with isosurface so I
> don't need a function that works in the same way isosurface, but I need
> a function that can help me visualize 3D surfaces like isosurface can.
> So, does anybody know of functions like isosurface that works with
> octave?
>
> Thanks,
> Søren

Re: isosurface-like tool

Søren Hauberg
Don't think so. I need to create figures like the one in
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/isosurface.html (bottom of the page)

tor, 23 03 2006 kl. 16:53 +0000, skrev Michael Creel:

> No matlab to look at here, but will contour.m help you?
>
> Søren Hauberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Matlab has a function named 'isosurface' that can be used to visualize
> > certain structures in 3D. Now, I'm not familiar with isosurface so I
> > don't need a function that works in the same way isosurface, but I need
> > a function that can help me visualize 3D surfaces like isosurface can.
> > So, does anybody know of functions like isosurface that works with
> > octave?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Søren

Re: isosurface-like tool

Miquel Cabanas
Octaviz seems to be what you're looking for,

http://octaviz.sourceforge.net

screenshots are available at,

http://octaviz.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screen

Miquel

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 17:12 +0100, Søren Hauberg wrote:
> Don't think so. I need to create figures like the one in
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/isosurface.html (bottom of the page)

Re: isosurface-like tool

Søren Hauberg
Looks like the perfect tool, thanks!
Does anybody know if the project is still maintained? The last release
is from 2004, so I was wondering wether or not I should go with the
latest release or take a CVS snapshot.

/Søren

tor, 23 03 2006 kl. 17:33 +0100, skrev Miquel Cabanas:

> Octaviz seems to be what you're looking for,
>
> http://octaviz.sourceforge.net
>
> screenshots are available at,
>
> http://octaviz.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screen
>

> Miquel
>

> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 17:12 +0100, Søren Hauberg wrote:
> > Don't think so. I need to create figures like the one in
> > http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/isosurface.html (bottom of the page)

Re: isosurface-like tool

Shai Ayal
looking at the CVS, it looks like some files were changed 6 monthes ago,
so I would go for a CVS snapshot

Shai

Søren Hauberg wrote:

> Looks like the perfect tool, thanks!
> Does anybody know if the project is still maintained? The last release
> is from 2004, so I was wondering wether or not I should go with the
> latest release or take a CVS snapshot.
>
> /Søren
>
> tor, 23 03 2006 kl. 17:33 +0100, skrev Miquel Cabanas:
>> Octaviz seems to be what you're looking for,
>>
>> http://octaviz.sourceforge.net
>>
>> screenshots are available at,
>>
>> http://octaviz.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screen
>>

>> Miquel
>>

>> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 17:12 +0100, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>>> Don't think so. I need to create figures like the one in
>>> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/isosurface.html (bottom of the page)

Re: isosurface-like tool

Jonathan Stickel
I am one of the developers for Octaviz and can report on the status.
Unfortunately, both Dragan Tubic and myself have become too busy over
the last 6 months to work on the project.  What is there can provide
excellent visuals, and several high level functions are available, such
as surf, mesh, and contour.  CVS is definitely what you want to download.

I would love to see some more people become involved and pick up where
we left off.  I admit there are some disadvantages to Octaviz, the
primary being you must have the very large VTK installed as a
dependency.  Also, Octaviz itself takes a long time to compile and
produces a hefty package by itself, and I'm still not sure how it will
fit into recent Octave graphics efforts.  However, I think the results
are worth it.  The visualizations are as good as the best stuff out
there, in my opinion.  Maybe in another month or two I can find some
time to pull a release together that compiles against the recent VTK 5.

Regards,
Jonathan

Shai Ayal wrote:

> looking at the CVS, it looks like some files were changed 6 monthes ago,
> so I would go for a CVS snapshot
>
> Shai
>
> Søren Hauberg wrote:
>
>> Looks like the perfect tool, thanks!
>> Does anybody know if the project is still maintained? The last release
>> is from 2004, so I was wondering wether or not I should go with the
>> latest release or take a CVS snapshot.
>>
>> /Søren
>>
>> tor, 23 03 2006 kl. 17:33 +0100, skrev Miquel Cabanas:
>>
>>> Octaviz seems to be what you're looking for,
>>>
>>> http://octaviz.sourceforge.net
>>>
>>> screenshots are available at,
>>>
>>> http://octaviz.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screen
>>>

>>> Miquel

Re: isosurface-like tool

Søren Hauberg
Thanks for the info.
I've compiled the cvs version with octave 2.1.72 and played a bit around
with it. I don't know anything about 3-D graphics, yet I can produce
some nice stuff -- great work!
I do however have some minor problems (crashers). Should I report bugs
(perhaps with patches, although I'm not promising anything) to the
sourceforge project? Or do you use another system?

Thanks,
Søren

tor, 23 03 2006 kl. 18:03 -0800, skrev Jonathan Stickel:

> I am one of the developers for Octaviz and can report on the status.
> Unfortunately, both Dragan Tubic and myself have become too busy over
> the last 6 months to work on the project.  What is there can provide
> excellent visuals, and several high level functions are available, such
> as surf, mesh, and contour.  CVS is definitely what you want to download.
>
> I would love to see some more people become involved and pick up where
> we left off.  I admit there are some disadvantages to Octaviz, the
> primary being you must have the very large VTK installed as a
> dependency.  Also, Octaviz itself takes a long time to compile and
> produces a hefty package by itself, and I'm still not sure how it will
> fit into recent Octave graphics efforts.  However, I think the results
> are worth it.  The visualizations are as good as the best stuff out
> there, in my opinion.  Maybe in another month or two I can find some
> time to pull a release together that compiles against the recent VTK 5.
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan
>

> Shai Ayal wrote:
> > looking at the CVS, it looks like some files were changed 6 monthes ago,
> > so I would go for a CVS snapshot
> >
> > Shai
> >
> > Søren Hauberg wrote:
> >
> >> Looks like the perfect tool, thanks!
> >> Does anybody know if the project is still maintained? The last release
> >> is from 2004, so I was wondering wether or not I should go with the
> >> latest release or take a CVS snapshot.
> >>
> >> /Søren

Re: isosurface-like tool

Jonathan Stickel
Yes, feel free to use the sourceforge site for the project.  There was a
bit of activity in the forums section for awhile.  I would post bug
information in the developers forum since forums support "monitoring",
which means I can get an email when there is activity.  Thanks for
giving it a try!

Jonathan