linewidths and Re: gplot w l linestyle doesn't work

linewidths and Re: gplot w l linestyle doesn't work

David Larom
JWE:

Thanks for the answer. I certainly appreciate the impossibility of
implementing every gnuplot feature, especially when creating and
maintaining Octave is a volunteer job and gnuplot is a moving target!

If anyone knows whether there is an older version of gnuplot for which the
octave linestyle call DOES work, I'd love to know about it. I use Octave
2.0.13 with gnuplot 3.7, patchlevel 0.

Finally, is there another way to set linewidths within octave? I need to
make very fine lines and finely drawn symbols. For instance, I'd like to be
able to differentiate, for instance, a pointsize .25 solid triangle symbol
from an empty triangle. As it is now, at pointsize .25 you can definitely
tell a circle from a triangle but you can't tell filled from empty. Sounds
anal but I'm trying to fit enormous amounts of info on one page.

If worst comes to worst I'll write a Perl script to change the postscript
output file (blecch!).

Thanks,
Dave Larom

PS Looking forward to asking an INTERESTING Octave question someday.

Re: linewidths and Re: gplot w l linestyle doesn't work

David Doolin

>Finally, is there another way to set linewidths within octave? I need to
>make very fine lines and finely drawn symbols. For instance, I'd like to be
>able to differentiate, for instance, a pointsize .25 solid triangle symbol
>from an empty triangle. As it is now, at pointsize .25 you can definitely
>tell a circle from a triangle but you can't tell filled from empty. Sounds
>anal but I'm trying to fit enormous amounts of info on one page.
>
>If worst comes to worst I'll write a Perl script to change the postscript
>output file (blecch!).

gnuplot is not the final word on plotting.  You may find better
programs to fit your needs.  I used to use jgraph when I needed
to process large amounts of similar data with very fine control
over the postscript output.  jgraph is freely available as a debian
package, or from the author, Jim Plank, who is a very fine fellow.
(Hunt around at http://www.cs.utk.edu/~plank).

Hope this helps,

Dave D