matching command

roberto-6
hello
i am using
GNU Octave, version 2.1.69 (i386-pc-linux-gnu)

and i am currently migrating from matlab use...
i'd like to ask you how can i find the matching Octave command to a
Matlab command when i do not find it in Octave, for example i did not
find "compass" command to plot complex numbers...
and in general how can i do if i find some command in MATLAB which is
not present with the same name in Octave

thank you very much
--
roberto
OS: GNU/Linux, debian sarge

Re: matching command

Andy Pugh
On 12/15/05, roberto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i'd like to ask you how can i find the matching Octave command to a
> Matlab command when i do not find it in Octave,

A good start is the database of commands at

http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/octave/matcompat/

--
atp

Re: matching command

David Bateman-3
Andy Pugh wrote:

>On 12/15/05, roberto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>i'd like to ask you how can i find the matching Octave command to a
>>Matlab command when i do not find it in Octave,
>>

>A good start is the database of commands at
>
>http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/octave/matcompat/

I'd say that is a very very bad start, as Paul has since moved on a
created octave forge 4 years ago. So the above is very out of date.. A
better start is

http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/index.html

But that is also about 6 months out of date, (for example in 2.9.x the
statistic functions now have the same names as matlab). So if you don't
find the function you are looking for in the index, ask or look in the
cvs tree and you might...

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

Re: matching command

William Poetra Yoga H-2
On 12/15/05, David Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But that is also about 6 months out of date, (for example in 2.9.x the
> statistic functions now have the same names as matlab). So if you don't
> find the function you are looking for in the index, ask or look in the
> cvs tree and you might...

But you should always look at the help message of each function before
using it. For example: `help plot'

It's because some functions behave differently from their Matlab counterparts.

--
William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno

Re: matching command

Stéfan van der Walt
On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 07:31:38PM +0800, William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno wrote:
> But you should always look at the help message of each function before
> using it. For example: `help plot'
>
> It's because some functions behave differently from their Matlab
counterparts.

They're not supposed to -- and if they do, it's a bug.  It might be
true, though, that not all functionality is always identically
supported (and of course, using 'help' is always a good idea).

Regards
Stéfan

Re: matching command

Shai Ayal
Stefan van der Walt wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 07:31:38PM +0800, William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno wrote:
>> But you should always look at the help message of each function before
>> using it. For example: `help plot'
>>
>> It's because some functions behave differently from their Matlab
> counterparts.
>
> They're not supposed to -- and if they do, it's a bug.  It might be
> true, though, that not all functionality is always identically
> supported (and of course, using 'help' is always a good idea).

I'm not sure I agree -- e.g. the plot command's way of specifying line
labels (keys) is a wonderful feature which I think does not exist in matlab

plot(x,y,"b-;just a line;");

I'm sure there are many other examples. IMHO Octave should strive to be
better than matlab, not just a clone

Shai

Re: matching command

Stéfan van der Walt
On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:55:44PM +0200, Shai Ayal wrote:

> >They're not supposed to -- and if they do, it's a bug.  It might be
> >true, though, that not all functionality is always identically
> >supported (and of course, using 'help' is always a good idea).
>
> I'm not sure I agree -- e.g. the plot command's way of specifying line
> labels (keys) is a wonderful feature which I think does not exist in matlab
>
> plot(x,y,"b-;just a line;");
>
> I'm sure there are many other examples. IMHO Octave should strive to be
> better than matlab, not just a clone

While I share your sentiments, I believe it's a design decision that's
been taken?  Octave aims to be compatible with MATLAB, wherever possible.

Regards
Stéfan

Re: matching command

Mike Miller-20
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Stefan van der Walt wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:55:44PM +0200, Shai Ayal wrote:
>
>> I'm sure there are many other examples. IMHO Octave should strive to be
>> better than matlab, not just a clone
>
> While I share your sentiments, I believe it's a design decision that's
> been taken?  Octave aims to be compatible with MATLAB, wherever
> possible.

I think we should strive for "unidirectional compatibility" such that
Octave can run *any* MATLAB code (rendering MATLAB unnecessary) but MATLAB
might not be able to run all Octave code.  This allows us to have both
compatibility and superiority.

Mike

Re: matching command

William Poetra Yoga H-2
On 12/16/05, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we should strive for "unidirectional compatibility" such that
> Octave can run *any* MATLAB code (rendering MATLAB unnecessary) but MATLAB
> might not be able to run all Octave code.  This allows us to have both
> compatibility and superiority.

Yes, this is nice :)

But IMO someone should clean up the functions so that when
`warn_matlab_incompatible' is true, Octave should be fully compatible
with Matlab as much as possible (well, at least function names must be
allowed to start with an underscore, in contrast to Matlab). I was
confused when my homework generates errors on my friend's PC (was the
plot incompatibility).

--
William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno