matlab commands

Peter Hinkey
Hi,

        I have successfully installed Octave on my server with OS Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3.  I realized the toolboxes for Matlab and
Octave are similar, but clearly not the same.  I have a matlab
script written with several functions that are not compatible with
Octave.

Is there a way to import the matlab toolbox into Octave so the commands work?

Are there octave functions that can replace matlab functions like
*textread and textscan*??

Peter Hinkey

Re: matlab commands

David Bateman
Peter Hinkey wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I have successfully installed Octave on my server with OS Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 3.  I realized the toolboxes for Matlab and
> Octave are similar, but clearly not the same.  I have a matlab
> script written with several functions that are not compatible with
> Octave.
>
> Is there a way to import the matlab toolbox into Octave so the commands work?

Not without breaking Matlab's copyright there isn't so please don't...
> Are there octave functions that can replace matlab functions like
> *textread and textscan*??

The textread function from octave-forge is supposed to be compatible
with the matlab version.. Can you give an example that demonstrates any
differences? Octave-forge doesn't have a textscan function though we'd
be happy to accept one if you wrote it :-) ... Till then use textread

D.

Re: matlab commands

Peter Hinkey

>> Hi,
>>
>>         I have successfully installed Octave on my server with OS Red
>> Hat
>> Enterprise Linux 3.  I realized the toolboxes for Matlab and
>> Octave are similar, but clearly not the same.  I have a matlab
>> script written with several functions that are not compatible with
>> Octave.
>>
>> Is there a way to import the matlab toolbox into Octave so the commands
>> work?
>>

> Not without breaking Matlab's copyright there isn't so please don't...
>> Are there octave functions that can replace matlab functions like
>> *textread and textscan*??
>>

> The textread function from octave-forge is supposed to be compatible
> with the matlab version.. Can you give an example that demonstrates any
> differences? Octave-forge doesn't have a textscan function though we'd
> be happy to accept one if you wrote it :-) ... Till then use textread

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm still learning about Octave.

As I said, I have Octave installed, but I don't have Octave-forge.  Could
you send me a link to the Octave-forge package compatible for Red Hat
Linux?  Thanks

Re: matlab commands

David Bateman
Peter Hinkey wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>         I have successfully installed Octave on my server with OS Red
>>> Hat
>>> Enterprise Linux 3.  I realized the toolboxes for Matlab and
>>> Octave are similar, but clearly not the same.  I have a matlab
>>> script written with several functions that are not compatible with
>>> Octave.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to import the matlab toolbox into Octave so the commands
>>> work?
>>>

>> Not without breaking Matlab's copyright there isn't so please don't...
>>
>>> Are there octave functions that can replace matlab functions like
>>> *textread and textscan*??
>>>

>> The textread function from octave-forge is supposed to be compatible
>> with the matlab version.. Can you give an example that demonstrates any
>> differences? Octave-forge doesn't have a textscan function though we'd
>> be happy to accept one if you wrote it :-) ... Till then use textread
>>

> Thanks for getting back to me, I'm still learning about Octave.
>
> As I said, I have Octave installed, but I don't have Octave-forge.  Could
> you send me a link to the Octave-forge package compatible for Red Hat
> Linux?  Thanks

There are Fedora RPMs for all of this, but I'm not sure about redhat and
looking on rpm.pbone.net didn't turn anything up

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)

Re: matlab commands

xnand
Hi.

Try this: