mercator plot of earth with country outlines (eventually day/night terminator plot)

mercator plot of earth with country outlines (eventually day/night terminator plot)

Paul McDonald-3

I want to plot a Mercator projection of earth with country outlines. I eventually want to
plot the day/sunrise/dusk/night terminator line.

I checked the following:
1) Octave postings on nabble.com, and
2) http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.2/world2.html (I couldn't get plot to work) and
3) http://www2.fct.unesp.br/dcartog/galo/gnuplot/gnu_exemplos1.htm
4) World Bank country data online.
with nothing close to what I wanted.

I'm sure this must have been done before (or something like this before)
and I'd prefer not to re-invent the wheel. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Bonus if there's code (or equations) that plots the day/sunrise/dusk/night terminator.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Re: mercator plot of earth with country outlines (eventually day/night terminator plot)

lynx.abraxas
On 28/01/10 11:18:10, Paul McDonald wrote:
> I'm sure this must have been done before (or something like this before)
>  and I'd prefer not to re-invent the wheel. Can anyone point me in the right
direction?
> Bonus if there's code (or equations) that plots  the  day/sunrise/dusk/night
terminator.

Hello Paul!

I  find  Your  problem  quite interesting but I don't have a real solution for
You. Recently I found this very informative page on cartography:
http://www.progonos.com/furuti/MapProj/Dither/TOC/cartTOC.html
Projections:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/topics/MapProjections.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_picture_candidates/Projections
Maps and day/night:
http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/maps.php

Perhaps  that can help You a bit. Let me know if You succed. There are quite a
few programs out there that can reproject maps. I'm lacking the  time  at  the
moment for getting into this.

Regards,
Lynx

Re: mercator plot of earth with country outlines (eventually day/night terminator plot)

Claudio Belotti-3
Paul,
for the coastline you can follow this example (in the Complex Shape section):
http://yapso.sourceforge.net/demo/demo.html

note that you don't need yapso to do it but you can find the file with
the coastline in the last version of yapso
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/yapso/yapso-0.3.4.tar.gz?download

you can also take a look at m_map
http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html
as far as I remember not every function works in octave but this might
have changed since the last time I tried.

Regards,
Claudio