moving octave.org domain from Wisconsin servers

moving octave.org domain from Wisconsin servers

Since I'm no longer employed by the University of Wisconsin, I'm
considering moving the octave.or gdomain to a hosting service not
associated with the university.

I have a hosting service that can do everything except anonymous ftp.
For that, we can simply use ftp.gnu.org (for the stable releases,
which we are already posting there) and alpha.gnu.org (for
snapshots).  Do you think it will be a problem if ftp.octave.org stops
working?  The download page on the web site will continue to work as
we can simply point to ftp.gnu.org.

To simplify the initial transition (and hopefully not break everything
all at once) I intend to keep the mailing lists running on the UW
systems, at least for now.  They may also move in the future.  If they
do, I think we should move them to savannah which provides lists
managed with mailman.

Comments?

Re: moving octave.org domain from Wisconsin servers

Søren Hauberg
ons, 17 12 2008 kl. 13:50 -0500, skrev John W. Eaton:
> I have a hosting service that can do everything except anonymous ftp.
> For that, we can simply use ftp.gnu.org (for the stable releases,
> which we are already posting there) and alpha.gnu.org (for
> snapshots).  Do you think it will be a problem if ftp.octave.org stops
> working?  The download page on the web site will continue to work as
> we can simply point to ftp.gnu.org.

I don't think this will be much of a problem. We should probably put a
notice of this at the web page, but otherwise I think people should just
adapt to the change.

> To simplify the initial transition (and hopefully not break everything
> all at once) I intend to keep the mailing lists running on the UW
> systems, at least for now.  They may also move in the future.  If they
> do, I think we should move them to savannah which provides lists
> managed with mailman.

Can we also move the archives?

Søren

On 17-Dec-2008, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| Can we also move the archives?

Yes, my hope is that we can combine all the archives, including the
old posts that I could never seem to get added to the UW servers.  But
actually making that happen will probably depend on cooperation
between the people who manage the savannah mail system and the people
who manage the UW college of engineering mail system.

Re: moving octave.org domain from Wisconsin servers

Kristjan Onu-2

On 20-Dec-2008, Kristjan Onu wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > I have a hosting service that can do everything except anonymous ftp...
|
| At the risk of going off-topic, using a virtual private server (VPS)
| provider rather than a hosting service should allow anonymous FTP. In
| terms of cost, some VPS providers may be comparable to hosting services
| (e.g. prgmr.com and rapidxen.net.)

My hosting provider can actually do anonymous ftp for an additional
charge, but I don't see the need since we can use ftp.gnu.org and its
mirrors for that.  Most of the octave.org web pages will still be
served from gnu.org anyway.  So the primary change is that
ftp.octave.org will stop working.  So I guess I really want to know
whether anyone thinks that change will cause trouble.  My guess is
that it will cause some confusion in the short term, but there should
be no long term problems.

Re: moving octave.org domain from Wisconsin servers

Thomas Weber-8
On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:53:16PM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 20-Dec-2008, Kristjan Onu wrote:

> | John W. Eaton wrote:
> | > I have a hosting service that can do everything except anonymous ftp...
> |
> | At the risk of going off-topic, using a virtual private server (VPS)
> | provider rather than a hosting service should allow anonymous FTP. In
> | terms of cost, some VPS providers may be comparable to hosting services
> | (e.g. prgmr.com and rapidxen.net.)
>
> My hosting provider can actually do anonymous ftp for an additional
> charge, but I don't see the need since we can use ftp.gnu.org and its
> mirrors for that.  Most of the octave.org web pages will still be
> served from gnu.org anyway.  So the primary change is that
> ftp.octave.org will stop working.  So I guess I really want to know
> whether anyone thinks that change will cause trouble.

People should be pushed to using mirrors, so ftp.octave.org going away
is probably a good thing.

        Thomas