mxe octave installer & java

Lutz Kohlrausch
A big thank you to whoever provides the windows installer at
mxeoctave.osuv.de

The octave build there had java support compiled in up to at least
version 3.8.1-2.

Since at least version 3.8.1-4, java support is missing from these
builds.

I need java support so I was wondering what happened and if I could
do something to help.

Thanks to the excellent build instructions at
http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer (linked from
http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/README.html ) I was able to recreate the
installer myself on a Ubuntu system.

The only minor glitch was that, apparently, NASA has recently updated
the cfitsio package without changing the version number.  This led to
an invalid checksum error, which I could fix by issuing

make update-checksum-cfitsio

I gave the ./configure command an explicit "--enable-java" argument.
Not sure if this is needed, as the help states that it is enabled by
default.

The resulting octave for windows has working java support.  So it is
not a general issue for octave on windows, I am glad, but something
is missing on the build machine used to create the installers at
mxeoctave.osuv.de.  I hope I can call the attention of the volunteer
who provides these builds to this issue with this message, so that
it gets fixed.

Thanks for octave and thanks for the windows installer.

Re: mxe octave installer & java

Philip Nienhuis
Lutz Kohlrausch wrote
[...]

The binaries at mxeoctave.osuv.de are "unofficial" builds, generously supplied by a volunteer. The status of the "official" installer is still unclear.
As often in OSS it is at the discretion of the volunteer who jumps in to decide what to include in some piece of SW and what not. In this case, I think the one who runs mxeoctave.osuv.de doesn't care a lot for Java.

It is good to know that other people can (cross-) build Octave for Windows as well, and that the build instructions are sufficiently clear.

Thanks

Philip

Re: mxe octave installer & java

Markus Bergholz

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Philip Nienhuis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lutz Kohlrausch wrote
> A big thank you to whoever provides the windows installer at
> mxeoctave.osuv.de
>
> The octave build there had java support compiled in up to at least
> version 3.8.1-2.
>
> Since at least version 3.8.1-4, java support is missing from these
> builds.
>
> I need java support so I was wondering what happened and if I could
> do something to help.
>
> Thanks to the excellent build instructions at
> http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer (linked from
> http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/README.html ) I was able to recreate the
> installer myself on a Ubuntu system.
>
> The only minor glitch was that, apparently, NASA has recently updated
> the cfitsio package without changing the version number.  This led to
> an invalid checksum error, which I could fix by issuing
>
> make update-checksum-cfitsio
>
> I gave the ./configure command an explicit "--enable-java" argument.
> Not sure if this is needed, as the help states that it is enabled by
> default.
>
> The resulting octave for windows has working java support.  So it is
> not a general issue for octave on windows, I am glad, but something
> is missing on the build machine used to create the installers at
> mxeoctave.osuv.de.  I hope I can call the attention of the volunteer
> who provides these builds to this issue with this message, so that
> it gets fixed.
>
> Thanks for octave and thanks for the windows installer.

The binaries at mxeoctave.osuv.de are "unofficial" builds, generously
supplied by a volunteer. The status of the "official" installer is still
unclear.
As often in OSS it is at the discretion of the volunteer who jumps in to
decide what to include in some piece of SW and what not. In this case, I
think the one who runs mxeoctave.osuv.de doesn't care a lot for Java.

Always funny to read.
At least, I even don't care about Windows too. Furthermore, the builds are made on a plain minimal ubuntu 14.04 machine. there are only the packages installed which are listed in the wiki.

It is good to know that other people can (cross-) build Octave for Windows
as well, and that the build instructions are sufficiently clear.

Thanks

Philip

icq: 167498924
XMPP|Jabber: [hidden email]

Re: mxe octave installer & java

PhilipNienhuis
Markus Bergholz wrote
wrote:

> Lutz Kohlrausch wrote
> > A big thank you to whoever provides the windows installer at
> > mxeoctave.osuv.de
> >
> > The octave build there had java support compiled in up to at least
> > version 3.8.1-2.
> >
> > Since at least version 3.8.1-4, java support is missing from these
> > builds.
> >
> > I need java support so I was wondering what happened and if I could
> > do something to help.
> >
> > Thanks to the excellent build instructions at
> > http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer (linked from
> > http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/README.html ) I was able to recreate the
> > installer myself on a Ubuntu system.
> >
> > The only minor glitch was that, apparently, NASA has recently updated
> > the cfitsio package without changing the version number.  This led to
> > an invalid checksum error, which I could fix by issuing
> >
> > make update-checksum-cfitsio
> >
> > I gave the ./configure command an explicit "--enable-java" argument.
> > Not sure if this is needed, as the help states that it is enabled by
> > default.
> >
> > The resulting octave for windows has working java support.  So it is
> > not a general issue for octave on windows, I am glad, but something
> > is missing on the build machine used to create the installers at
> > mxeoctave.osuv.de.  I hope I can call the attention of the volunteer
> > who provides these builds to this issue with this message, so that
> > it gets fixed.
> >
> > Thanks for octave and thanks for the windows installer.
>
> The binaries at mxeoctave.osuv.de are "unofficial" builds, generously
> supplied by a volunteer. The status of the "official" installer is still
> unclear.
> As often in OSS it is at the discretion of the volunteer who jumps in to
> decide what to include in some piece of SW and what not. In this case, I
> think the one who runs mxeoctave.osuv.de doesn't care a lot for Java.

Always funny to read.
At least, I even don't care about Windows too. Furthermore, the builds are
made on a plain minimal ubuntu 14.04 machine. there are only the packages
installed which are listed in the wiki.
Well I can't make it appear much different than it is, can I? :-)

And I do think you're right: you make the binaries & put them up, so you decide.
That's the beauty of OSS.

Philip

Re: mxe octave installer & java

Lutz Kohlrausch
My mail from 2014-08-24:
[...]
> to whoever provides the windows installer at
> mxeoctave.osuv.de
> Since at least version 3.8.1-4, java support is missing from these
> builds.

I see java support is back now in 3.8.2-3. Thanks for this.