nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

José Luis García Pallero
Has someone seen this about nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Ew4Ljyi6Y

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

Markus Bergholz

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 3:02 AM, José Luis García Pallero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has someone seen this about nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Ew4Ljyi6Y

Yes, we'd talk about this in #octave on freenode last week ;)
It's very cool and everyone wants it.  But unfortunately the licence from GNU Octave and Cude are not compatible as far as i know.
So you have to wait until someone build something similar with OpenCL (this would work with Intel and AMDI/ATI GPU too, not just Nvidia), or you have to do the Cuda stuff for yourself (if you patch it, imho this octave version will only work if you have a cuda card and driver!), or one day the Cuda stuff and licence gets tolareted by Octave developers.

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

icq: 167498924
XMPP|Jabber: [hidden email]

2012/12/23 Markus Bergholz <[hidden email]>:
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 3:02 AM, José Luis García Pallero
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Has someone seen this about nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave?
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Ew4Ljyi6Y
>
> Yes, we'd talk about this in #octave on freenode last week ;)
> It's very cool and everyone wants it.  But unfortunately the licence from
> GNU Octave and Cude are not compatible as far as i know.

Yes, CUDA is not free software

> So you have to wait until someone build something similar with OpenCL (this
> would work with Intel and AMDI/ATI GPU too, not just Nvidia), or you have to

Exists an implementation of BLAS and other linear algebra called
ViennaCL (http://viennacl.sourceforge.net/). It is under MIT license,
so it could be used in Octave

> do the Cuda stuff for yourself (if you patch it, imho this octave version
> will only work if you have a cuda card and driver!), or one day the Cuda
> stuff and licence gets tolareted by Octave developers.

Cheers

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \

On 23-Dec-2012, Markus Bergholz wrote:

| only work if you have a cuda card and driver!), or one day the Cuda stuff and
| licence gets tolareted by Octave developers.

Octave's license isn't going to change, so I don't think we have a
choice to someday "tolerate" a non-free, GPL-incompatible license.
I'm not interested in linking Octave with non-free software, or
encouraging people to do so.  What we need is to have software that
does the job of working with the GPU that is distributed under terms
that are compatible with the GPL.

2012/12/23 John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>:

> On 23-Dec-2012, Markus Bergholz wrote:
>
> | only work if you have a cuda card and driver!), or one day the Cuda stuff and
> | licence gets tolareted by Octave developers.
>
> Octave's license isn't going to change, so I don't think we have a
> choice to someday "tolerate" a non-free, GPL-incompatible license.
> I'm not interested in linking Octave with non-free software, or
> encouraging people to do so.  What we need is to have software that
> does the job of working with the GPU that is distributed under terms
> that are compatible with the GPL.

I totally agree with this.

One solution could be, for example, to use ViennaCL
(http://viennacl.sourceforge.net/). There is distributed under MIT
license, that is compatible with the GPL. It contains an
implementation if BLAS and some matrix decompositions in OpenCL. But
it has a problem (or I think it is a problem): is possible to use
OpenCL code without using non-free software? About the library
implementation, exists pocl (http://pocl.sourceforge.net/), but AFAIK
only produces code for CPUs. An the last problem is: is possible to
run code in a GPU without the privative drivers?

Cheers

> jwe

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23-Dec-2012, Markus Bergholz wrote:

| only work if you have a cuda card and driver!), or one day the Cuda stuff and
| licence gets tolareted by Octave developers.

Octave's license isn't going to change,

that is in my intention too.

so I don't think we have a
choice to someday "tolerate" a non-free, GPL-incompatible license.
I'm not interested in linking Octave with non-free software, or
encouraging people to do so.

i mean with tolerate, the kind of tolerate what linus is doing with Linux.
there are some blobs with proprietary/unknown licence......preferred here rather the benefits

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM, José Luis García Pallero <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/12/23 John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>:
> On 23-Dec-2012, Markus Bergholz wrote:
>
> | only work if you have a cuda card and driver!), or one day the Cuda stuff and
> | licence gets tolareted by Octave developers.
>
> Octave's license isn't going to change, so I don't think we have a
> choice to someday "tolerate" a non-free, GPL-incompatible license.
> I'm not interested in linking Octave with non-free software, or
> encouraging people to do so.  What we need is to have software that
> does the job of working with the GPU that is distributed under terms
> that are compatible with the GPL.

I totally agree with this.

One solution could be, for example, to use ViennaCL
(http://viennacl.sourceforge.net/). There is distributed under MIT
license, that is compatible with the GPL. It contains an
implementation if BLAS and some matrix decompositions in OpenCL. But
it has a problem (or I think it is a problem): is possible to use
OpenCL code without using non-free software? About the library
implementation, exists pocl (http://pocl.sourceforge.net/), but AFAIK
only produces code for CPUs. An the last problem is: is possible to
run code in a GPU without the privative drivers?

With the Open AMD Driver, yes/soon :D

Cheers

> jwe

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

icq: 167498924
XMPP|Jabber: [hidden email]

Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

José Luis García Pallero
2012/12/23 Markus Bergholz <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM, José Luis García Pallero
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > stuff and
>> >
>> > Octave's license isn't going to change, so I don't think we have a
>> > choice to someday "tolerate" a non-free, GPL-incompatible license.
>> > I'm not interested in linking Octave with non-free software, or
>> > encouraging people to do so.  What we need is to have software that
>> > does the job of working with the GPU that is distributed under terms
>> > that are compatible with the GPL.
>>
>> I totally agree with this.
>>
>> One solution could be, for example, to use ViennaCL
>> (http://viennacl.sourceforge.net/). There is distributed under MIT
>> license, that is compatible with the GPL. It contains an
>> implementation if BLAS and some matrix decompositions in OpenCL. But
>> it has a problem (or I think it is a problem): is possible to use
>> OpenCL code without using non-free software? About the library
>> implementation, exists pocl (http://pocl.sourceforge.net/), but AFAIK
>> only produces code for CPUs. An the last problem is: is possible to
>> run code in a GPU without the privative drivers?
>

> With the Open AMD Driver, yes/soon :D
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwMjU

Sounds fantastic! xD

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

José Luis García Pallero
2012/12/23 Markus Bergholz <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM, José Luis García Pallero
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > stuff and
>> >
>> > Octave's license isn't going to change, so I don't think we have a
>> > choice to someday "tolerate" a non-free, GPL-incompatible license.
>> > I'm not interested in linking Octave with non-free software, or
>> > encouraging people to do so.  What we need is to have software that
>> > does the job of working with the GPU that is distributed under terms
>> > that are compatible with the GPL.
>>
>> I totally agree with this.
>>
>> One solution could be, for example, to use ViennaCL
>> (http://viennacl.sourceforge.net/). There is distributed under MIT
>> license, that is compatible with the GPL. It contains an
>> implementation if BLAS and some matrix decompositions in OpenCL. But
>> it has a problem (or I think it is a problem): is possible to use
>> OpenCL code without using non-free software? About the library
>> implementation, exists pocl (http://pocl.sourceforge.net/), but AFAIK
>> only produces code for CPUs. An the last problem is: is possible to
>> run code in a GPU without the privative drivers?
>

> With the Open AMD Driver, yes/soon :D
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwMjU

And someone knows if the Intel HD graphics 4000 (present in Ivy Bridge
processors and with OpenCL support) needs a propietary or free driver?

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM, José Luis García Pallero <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/12/23 Markus Bergholz <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM, José Luis García Pallero
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > stuff and
>> >
>> > Octave's license isn't going to change, so I don't think we have a
>> > choice to someday "tolerate" a non-free, GPL-incompatible license.
>> > I'm not interested in linking Octave with non-free software, or
>> > encouraging people to do so.  What we need is to have software that
>> > does the job of working with the GPU that is distributed under terms
>> > that are compatible with the GPL.
>>
>> I totally agree with this.
>>
>> One solution could be, for example, to use ViennaCL
>> (http://viennacl.sourceforge.net/). There is distributed under MIT
>> license, that is compatible with the GPL. It contains an
>> implementation if BLAS and some matrix decompositions in OpenCL. But
>> it has a problem (or I think it is a problem): is possible to use
>> OpenCL code without using non-free software? About the library
>> implementation, exists pocl (http://pocl.sourceforge.net/), but AFAIK
>> only produces code for CPUs. An the last problem is: is possible to
>> run code in a GPU without the privative drivers?
>

> With the Open AMD Driver, yes/soon :D
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwMjU

And someone knows if the Intel HD graphics 4000 (present in Ivy Bridge
processors and with OpenCL support) needs a propietary or free driver?

there are no propietary drivers from intel for linux. the drivers from intel are opensource!! ;)
but sadly they don't bring opencl imho

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

icq: 167498924
XMPP|Jabber: [hidden email]

Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

yuer
I am looking for CUDA + Octave too.

anybody tried to compile GPUmat with Octave?  I see GPUmat supports Matlab, not sure mex compatablity on Octave

Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

Daniel Kraft
Hi,

On 06/26/2013 06:03 AM, yuer wrote:
> I am looking for CUDA + Octave too.
>
> anybody tried to compile GPUmat with Octave?  I see GPUmat supports Matlab,
> not sure mex compatablity on Octave

I don't know about GPUmat, but some time ago I tried out integrating
CUDA with Octave via .oct files:

  http://www.domob.eu/research.php

The bottom line is, it worked basically as expected.  In the PDF linked
from my page above there should be details if you want to try it.

Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.domob.eu/

Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

c.-2

On 26 Jun 2013, at 07:51, Daniel Kraft <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 06/26/2013 06:03 AM, yuer wrote:
>> I am looking for CUDA + Octave too.
>>
>> anybody tried to compile GPUmat with Octave?  I see GPUmat supports Matlab,
>> not sure mex compatablity on Octave
>
> I don't know about GPUmat, but some time ago I tried out integrating
> CUDA with Octave via .oct files:
>
>  http://www.domob.eu/research.php
>
> The bottom line is, it worked basically as expected.  In the PDF linked
> from my page above there should be details if you want to try it.
>
> Yours,
> Daniel

I know Riccardo Corradini is working hard to get GPU computing into Octave without any non-free software tool,
I'm CC-ing him in case he has any comments.
c.

thank Daniel. I read your paper and other few paper on linking octave with CUDA. But it's really annoying to debug compiling error. As Octave user, we like to call the function which is already linked to cublas instead of tons of time on code debugging.

Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

yuer
thanks. not sure about complaint on GPL license and other commercial license. Since there are some GPU package on matlab,  is it illegal to share instruction on compiling these Matlab GPU package on octave?

Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 26 June 2013 15:13, yuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> thanks. not sure about complaint on GPL license and other commercial license.
> Since there are some GPU package on matlab,  is it illegal to share
> instruction on compiling these Matlab GPU package on octave?

No, your instructions on how to make people use non-free software are
not derivative work of Octave. You may do so if you wish. I would
personally prefer if you didn't encourage people to use non-free
software, however.

- Jordi G.H.

Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

Riccardo Corradini
Daniel,
there is an open source implementation of the cuda driver api use the following libraries : drm and drm_nouveau.
On the upper level there is another open source library called gdev.
Please have look at the readme for nouveau driver
https://github.com/shinpei0208/gdev.
The missing part is the lack of a candidate for the substitution of nvcc with an opensource tool.
In theory llvm may work to generate the ptx.
there is also a compiler for ptx -> cubin for nvidia fermi architectures.
http://code.google.com/p/asfermi/
There is an initial hint on the path of llvm + dragonegg ...
See
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2012-June/050712.html
Please fell free to contribute
Bests