no more combinatorics and physical-constants package

no more combinatorics and physical-constants package

Carnë Draug-2
Hi everyone

I have removed the combinatorics and physical-constants packages.

They had been moved into the miscellaneous package some months ago and
since a new release of it was made, I have also released these two as
well. They are empty packages, only have a dummy file and are
dependent on the new version of miscellaneous just to ease transition.

Carnë

Re: no more combinatorics and physical-constants package

c.-2

On 16 Oct 2012, at 02:21, Carnë Draug wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have removed the combinatorics and physical-constants packages.
>
> They had been moved into the miscellaneous package some months ago and
> since a new release of it was made, I have also released these two as
> well. They are empty packages, only have a dummy file and are
> dependent on the new version of miscellaneous just to ease transition.
>
> Carnë

Carnë,

I do agree with the move of physical_constant into the miscellaneous package
as it reduces the total number of packages.
Was it really necessary, though, to change the names of all the constants?
This breaks all existing code using "physical_constant" (and I have a lot of that around),
would you mind if check-in a patch to allow using both the new and the old format for the names?
It would also have been nice if this change was mentioned somewhere, for example in the "news".

c.

On 17 October 2012 09:23, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2012, at 02:21, Carnë Draug wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I have removed the combinatorics and physical-constants packages.
>>
>> They had been moved into the miscellaneous package some months ago and
>> since a new release of it was made, I have also released these two as
>> well. They are empty packages, only have a dummy file and are
>> dependent on the new version of miscellaneous just to ease transition.
>>
>> Carnë
>>

> Carnë,
>
> I do agree with the move of physical_constant into the miscellaneous package
> as it reduces the total number of packages.
> Was it really necessary, though, to change the names of all the constants?
> This breaks all existing code using "physical_constant" (and I have a lot of that around),
> would you mind if check-in a patch to allow using both the new and the old format for the names?
> It would also have been nice if this change was mentioned somewhere, for example in the "news".

Sorry, I forgot to mention this on the file. The reason for the name
change was that the previous code actually had a bug and when there
was more than one constant (for different temperature or pressure
conditions), only the last on the list would be used. If you commit a
change, do it on the python script that generates the whole function
file.

On 17 Oct 2012, at 13:01, Carnë Draug wrote:

>> Carnë,
>>
>> I do agree with the move of physical_constant into the miscellaneous package
>> as it reduces the total number of packages.
>> Was it really necessary, though, to change the names of all the constants?
>> This breaks all existing code using "physical_constant" (and I have a lot of that around),
>> would you mind if check-in a patch to allow using both the new and the old format for the names?
>> It would also have been nice if this change was mentioned somewhere, for example in the "news".
>
> Sorry, I forgot to mention this on the file. The reason for the name
> change was that the previous code actually had a bug and when there
> was more than one constant (for different temperature or pressure
> conditions), only the last on the list would be used. If you commit a
> change, do it on the python script that generates the whole function
> file.
>
> Carnë

OK, I'll try to do so.
c.

Re: no more combinatorics and physical-constants package

Rafael Laboissière
* c. <[hidden email]> [2012-10-17 09:23]:

> On 16 Oct 2012, at 02:21, Carnë Draug wrote:
>
>> I have removed the combinatorics and physical-constants packages.
>>
>> They had been moved into the miscellaneous package some months ago and
>> since a new release of it was made, I have also released these two as
>> well. They are empty packages, only have a dummy file and are
>> dependent on the new version of miscellaneous just to ease transition.
>
> I do agree with the move of physical_constant into the miscellaneous package
> as it reduces the total number of packages.

Another obvious candidate for removal is the special-matrix package,
which contains currently only two files (arecibo.m and lauchli.m). They
could also be moved into miscellaneous.

Rafael

On 17 October 2012 13:07, Rafael Laboissiere <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * c. <[hidden email]> [2012-10-17 09:23]:
>>
>> On 16 Oct 2012, at 02:21, Carnë Draug wrote:
>>
>>> I have removed the combinatorics and physical-constants packages.
>>>
>>> They had been moved into the miscellaneous package some months ago and
>>> since a new release of it was made, I have also released these two as
>>> well. They are empty packages, only have a dummy file and are
>>> dependent on the new version of miscellaneous just to ease transition.
>>
>> I do agree with the move of physical_constant into the miscellaneous package
>> as it reduces the total number of packages.
>
> Another obvious candidate for removal is the special-matrix package,
> which contains currently only two files (arecibo.m and lauchli.m). They
> could also be moved into miscellaneous.

You're right. But I find them too miscellaneous even for the
miscellaneous package. I'd rather prepare a special-functions-legacy
package for them, now that agora is up and running.

Carnë