(no subject)

José Luis García Pallero
Hi all,

With the beginning of the new academic course, I recommend the use of
GNU Octave to my students. But they ask always the same question: has
octave a GUI? Well, for Windows exists the OctaveUPM version, but for
*NIX they need to compile from the sources. How about the develop of
the official GUI? Come it with the next major release of GNU Octave?
Is planned to release in the near future?

Cheers

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re:

c.-2

On 17 Sep 2013, at 10:36, José Luis García Pallero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With the beginning of the new academic course, I recommend the use of
> GNU Octave to my students. But they ask always the same question: has
> octave a GUI?
> Well, for Windows exists the OctaveUPM version, but for
> *NIX they need to compile from the sources.

On debian derived systems you can also get a preview of the development version
as explained here:
http://wiki.octave.org/Debian#Pre-compiled_binaries

> How about the develop of
> the official GUI? Come it with the next major release of GNU Octave?
> Is planned to release in the near future?

It is actually planned for the near past:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Release-Plans-tp4652127.html

> Cheers

c.

Re:

herraiz
Excerpts from José Luis García Pallero's message of Tue Sep 17 10:36:35 +0200 2013:
> With the beginning of the new academic course, I recommend the use of
> GNU Octave to my students. But they ask always the same question: has
> octave a GUI? Well, for Windows exists the OctaveUPM version, but for
> *NIX they need to compile from the sources

If you use Ubuntu, there are packages for Octave UPM available in
this PPL: https://launchpad.net/~herraiz/+archive/octave-upm

The packages are available for versions 12.04, 12.10 and 13.04.

Some of the Ubuntu packages may work in Debian. There is also a
package for Archlinux in the AUR.

Cheers,
Israel