object-oriented programming in Octave

michaelschmid1@bluewin.ch
my next question:

are there any future plans to introduce the "@directorys" like in Matlab?
This directorys defines the object-oriented programming technology.
If not, I will change this parts of the neural network toolbox,
otherwise I will
wait!
Thanks

Michael

Re: object-oriented programming in Octave

Arvid Rosén
Michael Schmid wrote:

> my next question:
>
> are there any future plans to introduce the "@directorys" like in Matlab?
> This directorys defines the object-oriented programming technology.
> If not, I will change this parts of the neural network toolbox,
> otherwise I will
> wait!
> Thanks
>
> Michael

That would be great!
Object-oriented programming is very useful for this kind of work. This
is also the main reason why we favor Scilab and not Octave at my office.
Scilab has a easy-to-use and very powerfull way of making
object-oriented programs. It would be a great addition to Octave.

/Arvid

Re: object-oriented programming in Octave

Stéfan van der Walt
On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 09:49:57PM +0100, Arvid Rosén wrote:

> Michael Schmid wrote:
> >my next question:
> >
> >are there any future plans to introduce the "@directorys" like in Matlab?
> >This directorys defines the object-oriented programming technology.
> >If not, I will change this parts of the neural network toolbox,
> >otherwise I will
> >wait!
> >Thanks
> >
> >Michael
> >
> That would be great!
> Object-oriented programming is very useful for this kind of work. This
> is also the main reason why we favor Scilab and not Octave at my office.
> Scilab has a easy-to-use and very powerfull way of making
> object-oriented programs. It would be a great addition to Octave.

I saw no further responses on this topic.  Is this anywhere on the
TODO-list for 3.0?

Regards
Stéfan

Stefan van der Walt wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 09:49:57PM +0100, Arvid Rosén wrote:
>
>> Michael Schmid wrote:
>>
>>> my next question:
>>>
>>> are there any future plans to introduce the "@directorys" like in Matlab?
>>> This directorys defines the object-oriented programming technology.
>>> If not, I will change this parts of the neural network toolbox,
>>> otherwise I will
>>> wait!
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> That would be great!
>> Object-oriented programming is very useful for this kind of work. This
>> is also the main reason why we favor Scilab and not Octave at my office.
>> Scilab has a easy-to-use and very powerfull way of making
>> object-oriented programs. It would be a great addition to Octave.
>>

> I saw no further responses on this topic.  Is this anywhere on the
> TODO-list for 3.0?
>
> Regards
> Stéfan

Not sure. Where can to TODO-list be found?

/Arvid

RE: object-oriented programming in Octave

Paul Billings
I think this would be wonderful.  My reason for posting is to say that I
hope it is better than Matlab's implementation.  Their OO support is
rudimentary at best, given the lack of references.  The problem enters when
trying to share something between two other objects:
  r = common_obj(...);
  o1 = myobj(r, ...);
  o2 = myobj(r, ...);

Guess what?  O1 and O2 have separate r-objects.  If o1 modifies r (or asks
its r to change state), it is no longer the same as o2.r.  Any sort of
doc/view (subject/observer) pattern is impossible.

Secondly, you cannot access base class fields from subclasses, which
requires you to implement get/set hooks for access.  This either exposes
variables that shouldn't be exposed, or you have a "private" get/set
function (with a different name) and have to remember which variables are
private.

Paul

WMennerich
Hello,
I have also a strong interest that object orientation like matlab (@-Directories, user classes)
will be realized. Are there any news about this topic? In another thread, there was also some speaking about this topic, but actually I'm not able to find this thread again. If I do, I'll post a link within this thread.

Best,
Wolfgang_M

Re: object-oriented programming in Octave

David Bateman-6
Wolfgang_M wrote:
> Hello,
> I have also a strong interest that object orientation like matlab
> (@-Directories, user classes)
> will be realized. Are there any news about this topic? In another thread,
> there was also some speaking about this topic, but actually I'm not able to
> find this thread again. If I do, I'll post a link within this thread.
>
> Best,
> Wolfgang_M

Class objects are available now in the CVS tree in the branch with the
tag "object-branch". This branch is being kept up to date with the cvs
HEAD by John and will become the 3.1 tree soon after the release of
Octave 3.0.. Don't expect any thing resembling a stable release of
Octave with objects for at least 6 months..

D.