octave-dev package for Ubuntu 18.04

Cameron Taggart
I packaged octave-cli and other dev files for the Docker image for Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic into a deb. Have a look at:

It would be great if the dependency list could be reduced. It currently pulls in 375 MB of dependencies.

Re: octave-dev package for Ubuntu 18.04

siko1056
On 12/4/19 6:20 AM, Cameron Taggart wrote:
> I packaged octave-cli and other dev files for the Docker image for
> Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic into a deb. Have a look at:
>
> https://github.com/ctaggart/octave-deb
> https://github.com/ctaggart/octave-deb/releases/tag/5.1.0-1
>
> It would be great if the dependency list could be reduced. It currently
> pulls in 375 MB of dependencies.

Please describe in more detail what you are trying to do.  The
"standard" Octave packages from the official Ubuntu repository are
targeted for Desktop users and octave-cli to offer all possible features
of Octave.  Thus it can be expected to be a larger image.

If you don't need certain Octave features, you need to compile Octave
yourself [1].  Then perhaps you can reduce the dependencies needed for
your custom build.  But anyway, more information about your intended use
is required to give useful information.

Best,
Kai

[1]: https://wiki.octave.org/Building

Re: octave-dev package for Ubuntu 18.04

himpe
Dear Cameron,

may be this shell script can be of help packaging a custom octave-cli:

https://gist.github.com/gramian/cd245d7dea271bcaae9967c93327429a

Best

Christian

--
Dr. rer. nat. Christian Himpe
Computational Methods in Systems and Control Theory