octave forge fits package

JohnD
Is anyone actively maintaining this package (or intending to) ?

Looks like the forge repo hasn't been updated since 2015, and there a few
bugs with it so it will now not install in 5.0.1.

I'll willing to update and make a new release if all are ok with that

JD

RE: octave forge fits package

JohnD
No response ...

Carnë Draug
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 21:15, JohnD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

The FITS package is listed as an external package.  I think with the
current organisation of Octave Forge, only the listed package
maintainer should be making or approving changes and that person is
Dirk Schmidt [hidden email]

RE: octave forge fits package

JohnD

Is it an external package because the maintainer wanted that, or because he didn’t respond last year when the email went out ?

I have no clue.

RE: octave forge fits package

JohnD

So what is the protocol external packages that are not maintained? (or maintainer no longer contactable)

Can I , or someone just take it over and declare it now not an external package? Or create a new package that happens to contain the GPL'd code in it ?

Re: octave forge fits package

Olaf Till-2
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 08:15:51AM -0400, JohnD wrote:

> [...]
I can't find a 'really external' fits package anywhere, so what we
have at OF seems to be the dead end. I'd say it's ok to take it over.

There seems to be a fits toolbox distributed with Matlab, which is a
reason to maintain fits in the community category of OF, and keeping
the name 'fits'. But then, we should give all the current functions in
our package the names of their Matlab counterparts, and make them
compatible, if possible. OTOH, having the current functions is better
than having no fits package at all. They could be deprecated later in
favour of more Matlab-compatible functions.

Olaf

Re: octave forge fits package

EmmanuelBrandt
Here is the location for the fits package
https://octave.sourceforge.io/fits/index.html

and here https://octave.sourceforge.io/fits/overview.html description of
the 3 functions.

as Dirk Schmidt is not responding, let me share in attachement the
modified version of the working package that I use daily with Octave 5.1.0

FY The only change is the replacement of deprecated D_INT by round().

Emmanuel

On 24/10/2019 17:28, Olaf Till wrote:

> [...]

fits-1.0.7.tar.gz (22K) Download Attachment

RE: Re: octave forge fits package

JohnD
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:45:34 +0200
> From: Emmanuel Brandt <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: octave forge fits package
>
> Here is the location for the fits package
> https://octave.sourceforge.io/fits/index.html
>
> and here https://octave.sourceforge.io/fits/overview.html description of
> the 3 functions.
>
> as Dirk Schmidt is not responding, let me share in attachement the
> modified version of the working package that I use daily with Octave 5.1.0
>
> FY The only change is the replacement of deprecated D_INT by round().
>
> Emmanuel

I've already pushed up a change to fix d_int that will hopefully work for everything

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/fits/ci/edd6274c7dc7ca6428bc76d9d78b54c3bd443622/

There were also a couple of other bug reports that Ive pushed up