[octave forge] releasing and template Makefiles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [octave forge] releasing

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2019-03-25 1:38 a.m., Andrew Janke wrote:
> On 3/24/19 3:14 AM, Olaf Till wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 08:27:07PM +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
>>> check licenses ('licensecheck -r' plus some manual checks)
Added to wiki
https://wiki.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Reviewing_Octave-Forge_packages

>> 'pkg' doesn't seem to care for file permissions even in system wide
>> installations. So it should be checked that the package files are
>> readable/executable by all users. A current maintainer Makefile
>> automatically sets the correct permissions in tarball creation so that
>> later checking isn't necessary.

Added to wiki.
>> Contains no hidden files, results of configure runs, etc.. Again, this
>> should be cared for by the maintainer Makefile so that later checking
>> isn't necessary.

Added to wiki.

>> Version number in src/configure.ac, if this file is present.

Added to wiki.

> I've added a "pkj review" command to Packajoozle to do automatable parts
> of package distribution review.

Cool, tried it and filed some issues/requests.

best,
Colin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [octave forge] please give me access again

Carnë Draug
In reply to this post by Olaf Till-2
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 19:17, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mike or Carnë,
>
> could one of you give me write access to OF again? I'd like to help
> again in putting (now collectively reviewed) releases online (still
> help of others in this highly welcome). Also, I'd like to make some
> minor fixes to the new web pages.
>

It is done.  Please check with Oliver when he's back.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)

Mike Miller-4
In reply to this post by Olaf Till-2
Hi Olaf,

Olaf Till wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 02:37:36PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> > I would be happy to volunteer as an Octave Forge release admin if other
> > people are willing to help with independent review of the package
> > validation steps.
>
> It would be nice if you could help as such a release admin. (And you
> already have the necessary access rights.)

Ok, I can try to help with that as time allows. Are there written
instructions on the mechanics of how to use SourceForge to make a
package release? I know how to make a tag and can probably figure out
how to upload a tarball. But what about the HTML docs? Adding to the
"Recent news" lists? Any other steps needed?

> I'm willing to help with reviewing and saying 'ok, you can release',
> and maybe, if necessary, with some knowledge on the 'formalities'
> (although my knowledge may be a bit outdated).
>
> I'll try to do this testing for some packages in the queue this
> weekend.
>
> But my current time resources are not much better than at the time I
> stepped back from administration, so further such 'testers and
> ok-sayers' should be necessary. JohnD said he would help...?

Same. Looks like a lot of people have contributed to doing peer review
of pending package releases so far, that's very encouraging.

--
mike

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [octave forge] please give me access again

Olaf Till-2
In reply to this post by Carnë Draug
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 02:12:20PM +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 19:17, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Mike or Carnë,
> >
> > could one of you give me write access to OF again? I'd like to help
> > again in putting (now collectively reviewed) releases online (still
> > help of others in this highly welcome). Also, I'd like to make some
> > minor fixes to the new web pages.
> >
>
> It is done.  Please check with Oliver when he's back.
Ok, thanks.

--
public key id EAFE0591, e.g. on x-hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)

Olaf Till-2
In reply to this post by Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 06:05:12PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:

> Hi Olaf,
>
> Olaf Till wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 02:37:36PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> > > I would be happy to volunteer as an Octave Forge release admin if other
> > > people are willing to help with independent review of the package
> > > validation steps.
> >
> > It would be nice if you could help as such a release admin. (And you
> > already have the necessary access rights.)
>
> Ok, I can try to help with that as time allows. Are there written
> instructions on the mechanics of how to use SourceForge to make a
> package release? I know how to make a tag and can probably figure out
> how to upload a tarball. But what about the HTML docs? Adding to the
> "Recent news" lists? Any other steps needed?
Nice that you are willing to help. For zeromq, I've gone through the
procedure (after Carne has given me access) and noted the steps, so
here are some instructions:

Put the new package tarball to:
<username>@frs.sourceforge.net:/home/frs/project/octave/Octave\ Forge\ Packages/Individual\ Package\Releases/

It will take some minutes until the tarball is automatically copied
from there to be available online.

unpack the package html and do something corresponding to:

rsync -av --delete <package-name>-html/<package-name>/ <username>,[hidden email]:htdocs/packages/<package-name>/

update <username>,[hidden email]:htdocs/news.html

remember to notify the package maintainer at the release forum, the
maintainer should announce the release at the list

tag the release changeset in the repository (only for 'community'
packages)

hints:

From now on, we should inform each other before we start to publish a
certain release, so that the other(s) don't try to do it at the same
time. Since we don't know if and when Oliver comes back, we should
notify him also.

I havn't looked into this yet, but the new web-site of OF sometimes
seems to require the browsers reload button to be pressed to see
changes.

htdocs/ (see above) at the web-site corresponds to htdocs/ in the
'project-web' package, but contains some more directories (in
particular, under htdocs/packages/, the html directories of the
individual packages), some generated files, and maybe some more
files. Note that htdocs/news.html is not necessarily always in sync
between the web-site and the 'project-web' package (the file at the
web-page being potentially newer; this is to avoid too frequent
commits to the project-web package).

I'm using a local copy of the web-site, serviced by apache2 for
localhost, and do any changes there first, before I propagate them to
the real web-site. Before I propagate the package html to Octave
Forge, I check from the local copy whether the package tarball is
already available for download.

Olaf

--
public key id EAFE0591, e.g. on x-hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 23:12:00 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:

> here are some instructions:
>
> Put the new package tarball to:
> <username>@frs.sourceforge.net:/home/frs/project/octave/Octave\ Forge\ Packages/Individual\ Package\Releases/
>
> It will take some minutes until the tarball is automatically copied
> from there to be available online.
>
> unpack the package html and do something corresponding to:
>
> rsync -av --delete <package-name>-html/<package-name>/ <username>,[hidden email]:htdocs/packages/<package-name>/
>
> update <username>,[hidden email]:htdocs/news.html

Ok, so these three are all pushed using scp, sftp, or rsync+ssh, right?
That seems pretty straightforward, I will probably end up scripting
something to do that for me in one step.

> remember to notify the package maintainer at the release forum, the
> maintainer should announce the release at the list

Ok.

> tag the release changeset in the repository (only for 'community'
> packages)

Are any packages that would be going through this process *not* in this
category?

> From now on, we should inform each other before we start to publish a
> certain release, so that the other(s) don't try to do it at the same
> time. Since we don't know if and when Oliver comes back, we should
> notify him also.

Ok, how about we add a comment on the release tracker itself before we
start to work on a particular package?

> I havn't looked into this yet, but the new web-site of OF sometimes
> seems to require the browsers reload button to be pressed to see
> changes.

Ok, no problem.

> htdocs/ (see above) at the web-site corresponds to htdocs/ in the
> 'project-web' package, but contains some more directories (in
> particular, under htdocs/packages/, the html directories of the
> individual packages), some generated files, and maybe some more
> files. Note that htdocs/news.html is not necessarily always in sync
> between the web-site and the 'project-web' package (the file at the
> web-page being potentially newer; this is to avoid too frequent
> commits to the project-web package).

So updating news.html for now means

1. scp ${username},[hidden email]:htdocs/news.html .
2. edit news.html
3. scp news.html ${username},[hidden email]:htdocs/news.html

and then at some point in the future, periodically copy it into
project-web and hg commit / push?

Is there a reason to avoid commits to the project-web package?

Thanks,

--
mike

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)

Olaf Till-2
On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 04:59:43PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 23:12:00 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> ...
> > tag the release changeset in the repository (only for 'community'
> > packages)
>
> Are any packages that would be going through this process *not* in this
> category?

The process of publishing is the same for both categories. The process
of reviewing may possibly be less strict for 'external' packages (?),
but I think checking licenses is important, and it should be possible
to generate the release from the OF repository.

> > From now on, we should inform each other before we start to publish a
> > certain release, so that the other(s) don't try to do it at the same
> > time. Since we don't know if and when Oliver comes back, we should
> > notify him also.
>
> Ok, how about we add a comment on the release tracker itself before we
> start to work on a particular package?

You're right, let's do it this way.

> > htdocs/ (see above) at the web-site corresponds to htdocs/ in the
> > 'project-web' package, but contains some more directories (in
> > particular, under htdocs/packages/, the html directories of the
> > individual packages), some generated files, and maybe some more
> > files. Note that htdocs/news.html is not necessarily always in sync
> > between the web-site and the 'project-web' package (the file at the
> > web-page being potentially newer; this is to avoid too frequent
> > commits to the project-web package).
>
> So updating news.html for now means
>
> 1. scp ${username},[hidden email]:htdocs/news.html .
> 2. edit news.html
> 3. scp news.html ${username},[hidden email]:htdocs/news.html
>
> and then at some point in the future, periodically copy it into
> project-web and hg commit / push?
That's what I meant.

> Is there a reason to avoid commits to the project-web package?

The only reason has been not to clutter the repository with too many
changesets. I daresay it wouldn't do much harm, though, to commit any
news.html change. If you like, we can try to keep news.html in sync.

Olaf

--
public key id EAFE0591, e.g. on x-hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 15:23:35 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 04:59:43PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 23:12:00 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> > ...
> > > tag the release changeset in the repository (only for 'community'
> > > packages)
> >
> > Are any packages that would be going through this process *not* in this
> > category?
>
> The process of publishing is the same for both categories. The process
> of reviewing may possibly be less strict for 'external' packages (?),
> but I think checking licenses is important, and it should be possible
> to generate the release from the OF repository.

I see, so for external packages the release has already been made
externally, it's more of a light review simply to approve posting the
release on the Forge site. Got it.

> > Is there a reason to avoid commits to the project-web package?
>
> The only reason has been not to clutter the repository with too many
> changesets. I daresay it wouldn't do much harm, though, to commit any
> news.html change. If you like, we can try to keep news.html in sync.

Not that important, just making sure I understand :)

I will try to set aside some time soon to review a couple packages.

--
mike

12