octave help links from google

nrjank
Am I the only one who notices that the default google search for octave help docs almost always point you to the v4.2.1 docs, versus the latest version?
e.g., searching for "octave formatted output" gets you:

Formatted Output - GNU Octave

which links to

instead of

I believe the latter is always the latest version, no?

searching for "octave formatted output 5.1" gets you:

Formatted Output (GNU Octave (version 5.1.0))

which does takes you to the current version.

Anyone with SEO skills know what game to play to fix that?

Re: octave help links from google

apjanke-floss

On 9/7/19 1:48 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

> Am I the only one who notices that the default google search for octave
> help docs almost always point you to the v4.2.1 docs, versus the latest
> version?
> e.g., searching for "octave formatted output" gets you:
>
> Formatted Output - GNU Octave
>
> which links to
> https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.1/Formatted-Output.html
>
> instead of
> https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Formatted-Output.html
>
> I believe the latter is always the latest version, no?
>
> searching for "octave formatted output 5.1" gets you:
>
> Formatted Output (GNU Octave (version 5.1.0))
>
> which does takes you to the current version.
>
> Anyone with SEO skills know what game to play to fix that?

You're not the only one. I see this same behavior both here and with
some other FLOSS projects.

No idea how to fix it.

Cheers,
Andrew