octave help links from google

nrjank
Administrator
Am I the only one who notices that the default google search for octave help docs almost always point you to the v4.2.1 docs, versus the latest version?
e.g., searching for "octave formatted output" gets you:

Formatted Output - GNU Octave

which links to

instead of

I believe the latter is always the latest version, no?

searching for "octave formatted output 5.1" gets you:

Formatted Output (GNU Octave (version 5.1.0))

which does takes you to the current version.

Anyone with SEO skills know what game to play to fix that?

Re: octave help links from google

apjanke-floss

On 9/7/19 1:48 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

> Am I the only one who notices that the default google search for octave
> help docs almost always point you to the v4.2.1 docs, versus the latest
> version?
> e.g., searching for "octave formatted output" gets you:
>
> Formatted Output - GNU Octave
>
> which links to
> https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.1/Formatted-Output.html
>
> instead of
> https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Formatted-Output.html
>
> I believe the latter is always the latest version, no?
>
> searching for "octave formatted output 5.1" gets you:
>
> Formatted Output (GNU Octave (version 5.1.0))
>
> which does takes you to the current version.
>
> Anyone with SEO skills know what game to play to fix that?

You're not the only one. I see this same behavior both here and with
some other FLOSS projects.

No idea how to fix it.

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: octave help links from google

nrjank
Administrator
apjanke-floss wrote

> On 9/7/19 1:48 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>> Am I the only one who notices that the default google search for octave
>> help docs almost always point you to the v4.2.1 docs, versus the latest
>> version?
>
> You're not the only one. I see this same behavior both here and with
> some other FLOSS projects.
>
> No idea how to fix it.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

I just ran into this again and didn't realize I was reading an outdated doc
page. Would there be any sense in adding some sort of link to the
header/navigation area indicating "you are looking at an old version of the
code, click here to be taken to <same page under
octave.org/doc/interpreter/> the current version."

Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html

Re: octave help links from google

Andrew Janke-2

On 3/31/20 9:25 PM, nrjank wrote:

> apjanke-floss wrote
>> On 9/7/19 1:48 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>>> Am I the only one who notices that the default google search for octave
>>> help docs almost always point you to the v4.2.1 docs, versus the latest
>>> version?
>>
>> You're not the only one. I see this same behavior both here and with
>> some other FLOSS projects.
>>
>> No idea how to fix it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andrew
>
> I just ran into this again and didn't realize I was reading an outdated doc
> page. Would there be any sense in adding some sort of link to the
> header/navigation area indicating "you are looking at an old version of the
> code, click here to be taken to <same page under
> octave.org/doc/interpreter/> the current version."

Hear, hear. This happens to me _all_ the time when Googling for Octave
docs, and it's a hassle to figure out how to navigate to the current
version of the docs. It'd be great if a link - even just a general
"here's a link to the root of the current 5.x docs" - were in place.

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: octave help links from google

nrjank
Administrator
On Tue, Mar 31, 2

Hear, hear. This happens to me _all_ the time when Googling for Octave
docs, and it's a hassle to figure out how to navigate to the current
version of the docs. It'd be great if a link - even just a general
"here's a link to the root of the current 5.x docs" - were in place.

the current link is always under 'interpreter' i believe:

so with an outdated link like:

I would think it fairly simple (haha, no idea what the backend looks like) to script a link to the current page by substituting in 'interpreter'.  It would only fail if an old page did not have a new counterpart.  At the moment, if it created such a link, teh docs default to taking you to the missing functions page: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/missing.html

Re: octave help links from google

Pantxo
nrjank wrote

> Am I the only one who notices that the default google search for octave
> help docs almost always point you to the v4.2.1 docs, versus the latest
> version?
> e.g., searching for "octave formatted output" gets you:
>
> Formatted Output - GNU Octave
>
> which links to
> https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.1/Formatted-Output.html

FWIW, both Qwant and DuckDuckGo get it right, the first link is

  Formatted Output (GNU Octave (version 5.2.0))
  octave.org/doc/interpreter/Formatted-Output.html

whereas using Google I obtain

  Formatted Output - GNU Octave
  https://octave.org/doc/v4.0.1/Formatted-Output.html

Note that I don't get the same (outdated) result as you in Google. This is
probably an effect of our past search (see e.g. [1, 2]).

Pantxo

[1] "Your search history can really give you a false sense of your websites
ranking, because it pushes your most visited websites to the top" :
https://microarts.com/insights/why-googles-search-results-vary-from-person-to-person/
[2]
https://www.webpresencesolutions.net/7-reasons-google-search-results-vary-dramatically/

--