octave parallel package

Rui Pereira

Dear all,

I am trying to migrate from matlab on my PC to octave in a computer cluster.

To take advantage of this cluster I was thinking to use the parallel package.

Once it is installed, how do I take advantage of this, for instance using the eig

function? Do I have to rewritte the code or is there some instructions to include

in my code in such a way that the cluster "knows" this eig function is to take advantage

of having more than 1 CPU?

Thanks a lot,

regards,

rui

Re: octave parallel package

c.-2

On 25 Jun 2014, at 12:20, Rui Miguel Soares Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to migrate from matlab on my PC to octave in a computer cluster.
> To take advantage of this cluster I was thinking to use the parallel package.
> Once it is installed, how do I take advantage of this, for instance using the eig
> function? Do I have to rewritte the code or is there some instructions to include
> in my code in such a way that the cluster "knows" this eig function is to take advantage
> of having more than 1 CPU?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> regards,
> rui

Only code you write yourself using functions from the package will be indeed parallel.

Depending on how your cluster is configured, you may (or may not) find it more beneficial
to use the package 'mpi' rather than 'parallel'.

In any case, the 'eigs' function performance will not be affected in any way by
installing either 'parallel' or 'mpi' package.

c.

Re: octave parallel package

Michael Creel
There are some examples of use of the MPI package on the PelicanHPC image: http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/PelicanHPC/

This project is no longer maintained, but you can boot the image using a virtualization platform to get quick access to working examples.