octave_throw_bad_alloc, et al, removed without warning

octave_throw_bad_alloc, et al, removed without warning

Mike Miller-4
Hi jwe, all,

The functions octave_throw_bad_alloc, octave_throw_execution_exception,
and others were removed in revision 63b417917f5e. These functions were a
part of the API and were removed without any deprecation warning from
previous releases. The function octave_throw_exit_exception had been
marked as deprecated, so the removal of that function in the same commit
after two releases seems fine.

Can we reintroduce these functions as compatibility wrappers with proper
deprecation warnings for future removal? I am concerned that user code
may call these functions and suddenly break without the deprecation
warnings that users have come to expect from us.

Re: octave_throw_bad_alloc, et al, removed without warning

On 10/16/19 5:52 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> Hi jwe, all,
>
> The functions octave_throw_bad_alloc, octave_throw_execution_exception,
> and others were removed in revision 63b417917f5e. These functions were a
> part of the API and were removed without any deprecation warning from
> previous releases. The function octave_throw_exit_exception had been
> marked as deprecated, so the removal of that function in the same commit
> after two releases seems fine.
>
> Can we reintroduce these functions as compatibility wrappers with proper
> deprecation warnings for future removal? I am concerned that user code
> may call these functions and suddenly break without the deprecation
> warnings that users have come to expect from us.

Yes, you are right, I shouldn't have removed these without first marking
them as deprecated.  I pushed the following change.  Does it look OK to you?

   http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/7a871724d4b0

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:50:21 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> Yes, you are right, I shouldn't have removed these without first marking
> them as deprecated.  I pushed the following change.  Does it look OK to you?

Yeah, looks good and works for my needs, thanks.