package parallel reads init file despite --no-init-file

package parallel reads init file despite --no-init-file

Octave - General mailing list

Hi,

when starting Octave using  --no-init-file (for example “octave-6.2.0.bat --no-gui --no-init-file”) and then using the parallel package, the parallel processes do read the init file.

Is there a way to prevent this? Should I file a bug?

Win10, octave 6.2.0, parallel 4.0.1

Best regards,

Jens

SEW-EURODRIVE GmbH & Co KG
Kommanditgesellschaft, Sitz: Bruchsal, RG Mannheim HRA 230970
Komplementärin: SEW-EURODRIVE Verwaltungs-GmbH, Sitz: Bruchsal, RG Mannheim HRB 230207

Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter: Jürgen Blickle
Geschäftsführung: Jürgen Blickle (Vorsitzender), Udo Aull, Dr. Jörg Hermes, Dr. Hans Krattenmacher, Christian Mayer, Johann Soder, Dr. Jürgen Zanghellini

Re: package parallel reads init file despite --no-init-file

siko1056
On 5/12/21 2:44 PM, Jens Wulf via Help-octave wrote:> Hi,

 > when starting Octave using  --no-init-file (for example
 > “octave-6.2.0.bat --no-gui --no-init-file”) and then using the parallel
 > package, the parallel processes do read the init file.
 >
 > Is there a way to prevent this? Should I file a bug?
 >
 > Win10, octave 6.2.0, parallel 4.0.1
 >
 > Best regards,
 >
 > Jens

To my understanding of the parallel package, Octave arguments (argv) are
not regarded and it seems reasonable to file a bug report.

Please read https://octave.sourceforge.io/support-help.php
Then https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave&func=additem

Some thoughts of mine.

Please link this thread in your bug report
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2021-05/msg00029.html

To fix this, the content of "argv"
https://octave.org/doc/v6.2.0/XREFargv.html should be regarded by the
parallel package when creating the "Octave-sub-processes" as you describe.

The Octave binary to be called:

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/parallel/ci/default/tree/src/p-control.h#l196

is set here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/parallel/ci/default/tree/src/p-control.cc#l392

A new "instance" is constructed only given the binary:

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/parallel/ci/default/tree/src/p-control.cc#l309

and appended with an "--eval" statement to be evaluated within this
instance:

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/parallel/ci/default/tree/src/p-control.cc#l67

HTH,
Kai

Re: package parallel reads init file despite --no-init-file

Octave - General mailing list
Thank you, Kai.

The bug report is

Best regards,