package repository links

Colin Macdonald-2
Hi all,

The URLs in the DESCRIPTION files of doctest and symbolic now point to
their https://octave.sourceforge.io/*/ sites.  This is the right thing
b/c those are the official sites.

But these two packages are (currently) developed on largely github.com.

The generate_html package makes links to the repository of the form
https://octave.sourceforge.io/pkg-repository/doctest/
but these are a bit misleading for (at least) these two packages.

1. hack the generated html "manually" (probably some sed in the
maintainer makefile).

2. add a new "dev_url", "repo", "dev_repo", or similar field to DESCRIPTION.

3. something else I haven't thought of.

The first option is nice and easy, but a bit "local"...  Thoughts?

Colin

Re: package repository links

Olaf Till-2
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 06:03:49AM -0700, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The URLs in the DESCRIPTION files of doctest and symbolic now point to their
> https://octave.sourceforge.io/*/ sites.  This is the right thing b/c those
> are the official sites.
>
> But these two packages are (currently) developed on largely github.com.

I think the url field in the DESCRIPTION file was originally meant to
point to an external website, and not to be present if there is no
external website. It could also be used to point to the site where the
main development occurs. In both cases it'd be legitimate to let it
point to the github sites for these two packages

> 1. hack the generated html "manually" (probably some sed in the maintainer
> makefile).

(BTW: The generated file "index.html" is only for demonstration, the
corresponding page at the website is generated dynamically.)

Olaf

Re: package repository links

Mike Miller-4
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 06:03:49 -0700, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> 2. add a new "dev_url", "repo", "dev_repo", or similar field to DESCRIPTION.

Yes, I would like to see packages eventually standardize on more useful
metadata that generate_html, other software could make use of if they
are present.

I would like to see fields in DESCRIPTION like "Git-Repo" or "Hg-Repo",
"Bug-Tracker", "User-Manual", "Wiki", and so on.