plot colors

Heber Farnsworth-2
This may be a simple question but I can't seem to find the answer in the info
pages.  When plotting it is sometimes desirable to have a different color
background for the Gnuplot window than I use for my xterm windows.  However this
is not something that can be set with a gset sort of command.  Instead you must
invoke Gnuplot in a different way, using the appropriate x11 option.  I.e. when
invoking Gnuplot from the shell you would type

        gnuplot -bg white

or whatever color you wanted the background to be.  How do you do a similar
thing from within octave?

Heber Farnsworth
Department of Finance
Fisher School of Business
the Ohio State University

plot colors

John W. Eaton-6
On 13-Aug-1997, Heber Farnsworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

| This may be a simple question but I can't seem to find the answer in
| the info pages.  When plotting it is sometimes desirable to have a
| different color background for the Gnuplot window than I use for my
| xterm windows.  However this is not something that can be set with a
| gset sort of command.  Instead you must invoke Gnuplot in a
| different way, using the appropriate x11 option.  I.e. when invoking
| Gnuplot from the shell you would type
|
| gnuplot -bg white
|
| or whatever color you wanted the background to be.  How do you do a similar
| thing from within octave?

You can use

  gnuplot_binary = "gnuplot -bg white";

at the octave prompt, or in your ~/.octaverc file (yes, the variable
name is a bit misleading -- it is currently a shell command to run,
not just the name of the binary).  If you want to change the
background, you have to restart the plot process -- use closeplot and
then issue another plotting command.

You can also set the X11 resources for gnuplot in your .Xdefaults file.n

  gnuplot*background: white

jwe