plot crashes (my) octave-3.8

Jose
Hello.

I just compiled octave-3.8.0 in Kubuntu 13.10 installing the packages
listed in
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Please-release-RC1-to-octave-unstable-PPA-td4659924.html
and for some reason that I ignore I cannot plot anything with fltk. With
gnuplot I could (see below).

_With_fltk_
-->
octave:1> graphics_toolkit
ans = fltk
octave:2> plot([1:10])
No available targets are compatible with this triple, see -version for
the available targets.
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
<--
A blind search in google for the error above points to Clang stuff,
which I am totally unfamiliar with. Digging in the config.log looking
for llvm related things I found couple of fatal errors related to non
existing header files, such as:
-->
conftest.cpp:49:30: fatal error: llvm/IR/Function.h: No such file or
directory
<--
which does exist in my machine, or
-->
conftest.cpp:83:36: fatal error: llvm/Support/IRBuilder.h: No such file
or directory
<--
which does not.

I don't even know if I am digging in the right direction here. Any
comments/directions appreciated.

_With_gnuplot_
-->
octave:1> graphics_toolkit ('gnuplot')
octave:2> plot([1:10])

gnuplot> set terminal x11 enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560,420
position 300,490
                       ^
          line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set
terminal' for a list
<--
This issue is solved by substituting the package gnuplot-nox by gnuplot-x11.

Regards,
J.

Re: plot crashes (my) octave-3.8

Jose
On 09/01/14 21:39, Jose wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I just compiled octave-3.8.0 in Kubuntu 13.10 installing the packages
> listed in
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Please-release-RC1-to-octave-unstable-PPA-td4659924.html
>
> and for some reason that I ignore I cannot plot anything with fltk. With
> gnuplot I could (see below).
>
> _With_fltk_
> -->
> octave:1> graphics_toolkit
> ans = fltk
> octave:2> plot([1:10])
> No available targets are compatible with this triple, see -version for
> the available targets.
> panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
> save to 'octave-workspace' complete
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> <--

A workaround that works for me is to disable the jit compiler
(configuring octave with --disable-jit).

> _With_gnuplot_
> -->
> octave:1> graphics_toolkit ('gnuplot')
> octave:2> plot([1:10])
>
> gnuplot> set terminal x11 enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560,420
> position 300,490
>                        ^
>           line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set
> terminal' for a list
> <--
> This issue is solved by substituting the package gnuplot-nox by
> gnuplot-x11.

or gnuplot-qt

Regards.
J.

Re: plot crashes (my) octave-3.8

lukshuntim
On Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:08 AM, Jose wrote:

> On 09/01/14 21:39, Jose wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I just compiled octave-3.8.0 in Kubuntu 13.10 installing the packages
>> listed in
>> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Please-release-RC1-to-octave-unstable-PPA-td4659924.html
>>

>> and for some reason that I ignore I cannot plot anything with fltk. With
>> gnuplot I could (see below).
>>
>> _With_fltk_
>> -->
>> octave:1> graphics_toolkit
>> ans = fltk
>> octave:2> plot([1:10])
>> No available targets are compatible with this triple, see -version for
>> the available targets.
>> panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
>> attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
>> save to 'octave-workspace' complete
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> <--
>
> A workaround that works for me is to disable the jit compiler
> (configuring octave with --disable-jit).

I did not encounter such problem with 3.8.0 on linux mint 14 (ie, ubuntu
12.10). My configuration flags are

--enable-openmp --enable-jit --disable-java
LLVM_CONFIG=/usr/bin/llvm-config-3.1

Regards,
ST

Re: plot crashes (my) octave-3.8

Michael Goffioul

On 09/01/14 21:39, Jose wrote:
[...]

Please don't hi-jack an existing discussion to change topic. And try to avoid top-posting.

At the moment, building GUI (e.g. uicontrol) is only supported by QtHandles, but it's not part yet of core octave, so you have to compile it yourself.

Michael.

Re: plot crashes (my) octave-3.8

Jose
On 10/01/14 18:24, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:08 AM, Jose wrote:
>> On 09/01/14 21:39, Jose wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I just compiled octave-3.8.0 in Kubuntu 13.10 installing the packages
>>> listed in
>>> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Please-release-RC1-to-octave-unstable-PPA-td4659924.html
>>>

>>> and for some reason that I ignore I cannot plot anything with fltk. With
>>> gnuplot I could (see below).
>>>
>>> _With_fltk_
>>> -->
>>> octave:1> graphics_toolkit
>>> ans = fltk
>>> octave:2> plot([1:10])
>>> No available targets are compatible with this triple, see -version for
>>> the available targets.
>>> panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
>>> attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
>>> save to 'octave-workspace' complete
>>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>> <--
>>
>> A workaround that works for me is to disable the jit compiler
>> (configuring octave with --disable-jit).
>
> I did not encounter such problem with 3.8.0 on linux mint 14 (ie, ubuntu
> 12.10). My configuration flags are
>
> --enable-openmp --enable-jit --disable-java
> LLVM_CONFIG=/usr/bin/llvm-config-3.1

No luck here yet using similar config (with llvm-config-3.2). Thanks
anyway for your tip. I'll keep playing.

Regards,
J.

Re: plot crashes (my) octave-3.8

Jose
On 13/01/14 13:15, Jose wrote:

>>> A workaround that works for me is to disable the jit compiler
>>> (configuring octave with --disable-jit).
>>
>> I did not encounter such problem with 3.8.0 on linux mint 14 (ie, ubuntu
>> 12.10). My configuration flags are
>>
>> --enable-openmp --enable-jit --disable-java
>> LLVM_CONFIG=/usr/bin/llvm-config-3.1
>
> No luck here yet using similar config (with llvm-config-3.2). Thanks
> anyway for your tip. I'll keep playing.

OK, it seems to be somehow a problem related to the nouveau drivers of
the video card. Switching to the proprietary ones from nvidia (v.
319-updates) seems to solve the issue here.

Regards,
J.