plot segfaults

jo

plot segfaults

jo
tried first general download version then option 2 from
http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows, got in both cases a segfault in plot
Please advise...

C:\Users\joos>C:\octave\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\bin\octave.exe
GNU Octave, version 3.6.1
Copyright (C) 2012 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "i686-pc-mingw32".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave:1> plot(exp(cos([-9:.1:9])))
panic: Segmentation violation -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete
warning: get: allowing closerequestfcn to match figure property closerequestfcn
error: get: unknown property "closerequestfcn"
error: get: unknown figure property deletefcn
warning: get: allowing closerequestfcn to match figure property closerequestfcn
warning: get: allowing __plot_stream__ to match figure property __plot_stream__
error: get: unknown root property currentfigure

jo

Re: plot segfaults

jo
This is on windows 7. Older versions of octave also worked fine on this laptop; unfornately I decided to *upgrade*

Re: plot segfaults

PhilipNienhuis
jo wrote:

> tried first general download version then option 2 from
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows, got in both cases a segfault
> in plot
> Please advise...
>
> C:\Users\joos>C:\octave\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\bin\octave.exe
> GNU Octave, version 3.6.1
> Copyright (C) 2012 John W. Eaton and others.
> This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
> There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. For details, type `warranty'.
>
> Octave was configured for "i686-pc-mingw32".
>
> Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.
>
> Please contribute if you find this software useful.
> For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
>
> Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
>
> For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.
>
> octave:1> plot(exp(cos([-9:.1:9])))
> panic: Segmentation violation -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
> save to `octave-core' complete
> warning: get: allowing closerequestfcn to match figure property
> closerequestfcn
> error: get: unknown property "closerequestfcn"
> error: get: unknown figure property deletefcn
> warning: get: allowing closerequestfcn to match figure property
> closerequestfcn
> warning: get: allowing __plot_stream__ to match figure property
> __plot_stream__
> error: get: unknown root property currentfigure

Sometimes (often) it may help to google around a bit before asking, e.g.
for  "closerequestfcn octave".

If you would have done so, you'd have found this:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-bug-tracker/2012-03/msg00249.html

(and yeah, this is a creepy issue)

Another suggestion would be to try the MSVC2010 version. That doesn't
suffer from the libblas issues (but may perform a bit slower, depending
on your hardware).

Philip

jo

Re: plot segfaults

jo
the msvc2010 version also crashes upon calling plot also removed gnuplot but that did not help...

> tried first general download version then option 2 from
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows, got in both cases a segfault
> in plot
> Please advise...
>
> C:\Users\joos>C:\octave\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\bin\octave.exe
> GNU Octave, version 3.6.1
> Copyright (C) 2012 John W. Eaton and others.
> This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
> There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. For details, type `warranty'.
>
> Octave was configured for "i686-pc-mingw32".
>
> Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.
>
> Please contribute if you find this software useful.
> For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
>
> Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
>
> For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.
>
> octave:1> plot(exp(cos([-9:.1:9])))
> panic: Segmentation violation -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
> save to `octave-core' complete
> warning: get: allowing closerequestfcn to match figure property
> closerequestfcn
> error: get: unknown property "closerequestfcn"
> error: get: unknown figure property deletefcn
> warning: get: allowing closerequestfcn to match figure property
> closerequestfcn
> warning: get: allowing __plot_stream__ to match figure property
> __plot_stream__
> error: get: unknown root property currentfigure

Sometimes (often) it may help to google around a bit before asking, e.g.
for  "closerequestfcn octave".

If you would have done so, you'd have found this:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-bug-tracker/2012-03/msg00249.html

(and yeah, this is a creepy issue)

Another suggestion would be to try the MSVC2010 version. That doesn't
suffer from the libblas issues (but may perform a bit slower, depending
on your hardware).

Philip

jo

Re: plot segfaults

jo
It appears to work if i install with gnuplot option instead of default qt options...

Kind Regards,