plplot

Francis Courtois
hi

have anyone ever succeeded in installing PLPLOT under octave 2.0.16 ?
I found the INSTALL file very difficult to understand and obviously
incompatible with an easy installation on my 2.0.16. I would love some
help.

--

Francis

 Dr. Francis COURTOIS               I  ENSIA - INRA
                                    I  1, avenue des Olympiades
 Food Process Control Lab.          I  91744 MASSY Cedex
 Food Engineering Department        I  FRANCE
 -----------------------------------I  Tel : (+33) (0) 1 69 93 51 29
 mailto:[hidden email]      I  Fax : (+33) (0) 1 69 93 51 85
 http://ensia.inra.fr/~courtois     I  Cell: (+33) (0) 6 84 13 73 92

Re: plplot

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 10:27:55AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> have anyone ever succeeded in installing PLPLOT under octave 2.0.16 ?
> I found the INSTALL file very difficult to understand and obviously
> incompatible with an easy installation on my 2.0.16. I would love some
> help.

What is your platform?  Debian includes an octave-plplot package [1] which
is maintained by Rafael Laboissiere [2]. You might want to talk to him. I
don't use this regularly, but I just tried

        octave:1> use_plplot
        octave:2> plot(randn(100,1))

which worked fine on my Debian laptop which is running 2.0.16.91.

Dirk

[1] This is just one among a couple of additional Octave packages in Debian.

[2] Here is the record

Package: octave-plplot
Version: 0.3-8
 This package enables you to use PLplot from within Octave.  When this
 package is installed, many plotting function of Octave's core have
 PLplot counterparts.  The user can switch between both libraries with
 the function `use_plplot'.
 .
 Using it instead of the regular gnuplot interface, you have the
 following advantages:
 .
   - Use a superior plotting package, having access to dozens of
     plotting commands, enabling you to customize your plots at your
     will.
 .
   - Still use the same plot commands that you are familiarized, if you
     really want to.
 .
   - Have some new and long waited plotting command scripts.
 .
 Besides having access to all PLplot API commands, and all Octave usual
 commands, some with some improvements, new commands are
 available. They are: autostyle, ginput, gtext, legend, cmap, pldef,
 save_fig, set_view, shade, stripc, stripc_add, stripc_del, tdeblank,
 text, xticks, and zoom.
installed-size: 555

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

Re: plplot

Francis Courtois
I have Mandrake 6.2 (=RH6.1 or so)

And I installed octave from the tar.gz archive

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 02:36:00PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> I have Mandrake 6.2 (=RH6.1 or so)

Then you need to install octave-plplot by hand, or try your luck with the
alien converter.

> And I installed octave from the tar.gz archive

That should not have any bearing on it.

I merely meant to illustrate that you can have it working out of the box
under Debian. If you prefer to use another distro, you will have to install
the package by hand.  Looking at the Debian .diff.gz (against the
original octave-plplot sources) might be helpful.

Bonne chance,  Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

Re: plplot

Thomas Walter-4

    Dirk> On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 10:27:55AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
    >> have anyone ever succeeded in installing PLPLOT under octave 2.0.16 ?
    >> I found the INSTALL file very difficult to understand and obviously
    >> incompatible with an easy installation on my 2.0.16. I would love some
    >> help.

    Dirk> What is your platform?  Debian includes an octave-plplot package [1] which
    Dirk> is maintained by Rafael Laboissiere [2]. You might want to talk to him. I
    Dirk> don't use this regularly, but I just tried

    Dirk> octave:1> use_plplot
    Dirk> octave:2> plot(randn(100,1))

    Dirk> which worked fine on my Debian laptop which is running 2.0.16.91.

[snip]

Hello,
it works fine as long as you do not have

whitespace_in_literal_matrix = "ignore";

in your '$(HOME)/.octaverc' which is my preferred setting as this
avoids a lot misunderstanding by me and you are free to write
vectors/matrices with a layout which is best to your taste.

The problem are some '[1 2 3]' vectors/matrices.  If you change them
to '[1, 2, 3]' all works fine.

Maybe this note helps others.

Bye
Thomas

--
Was gibt sieben mal sieben?  Ganz feinen Sand. 8-)

Dipl. Phys. Thomas Walter
Inst. f. Physiklische Chemie II
Egerlandstr. 3 Tel.: ++9131-85 27326 / 27330
91058 Erlangen, Germany email: [hidden email]

Re: plplot

Francis Courtois
I  have :
  whitespace_in_literal_matrix = "traditional"

... I think the problem is elsewhere...

I installed the
plplot-990122-1.i386.rpm

but it has nothing to do with octave...

so I tried to install
PLplot_octave-0.3.1.tar.gz

which contains a .cc to be compiled in .oct + all the related m files.

I could easily mv the PLplot dir to the
/usr/local/share/octave/2.0.16/m/ dir and change the path is use_plot
and octave_plplot_path to this one...

but

To compile the .cc in .oct I couldn't use the options -lX11 and -lsocket
The make file doesn't work
There is a line missing in use_plot.m : load_path=[];

At the end, octave still uses gnuplot !

I spent a lot of time still for nothing !

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 12:06:12PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> At the end, octave still uses gnuplot !

You missed one crucial little detail in the docs: you have to make sure
Octave actually finds the plplot functions before it gets to those for
gnuplot.

You might want to borrow the trick Rafael implemented for the Debian
package: use_plplot() is a function which turns plplot "on" by prepending
the directory with the plplot functions to the "load_path". Likewise, it
turns plplot "off" by removing said directory.  Very clever, very easy to use.

> I spent a lot of time still for nothing !

(Please don't misunderstand, I don't want to turn this into a
distro-flamewar.)

Debian can save you a lot of time. Among the > 4000 packages are hundreds
with numerical software no other distribution includeds.

Even if you prefer other distros, or if your administration forces you to
use others, the Debian sources (on any source mirror near you) contain
valuable resources too.

(Again, don't flame me for mentioning my preferred distribution. I also
failed to install plplot a few years back before it became a Debian package.
I'd simply like to share my thoughts on why Debian "scales" better.)

Luck,  Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

Re: plplot

Joao Cardoso-3
Thomas Walter wrote:

>     Dirk> On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 10:27:55AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>     >> have anyone ever succeeded in installing PLPLOT under octave 2.0.16 ?
>     >> I found the INSTALL file very difficult to understand and obviously
>     >> incompatible with an easy installation on my 2.0.16.

I'm sorry. As every other free program, plplot_octave can only improve
thanks to users contributions. An obvious need is 'configure'. Rafael
has contributed a Debian package, perhaps someone else wants to
contribute 'configure'?

> I would love some
>     >> help.

> Hello,
> it works fine as long as you do not have
>
> whitespace_in_literal_matrix = "ignore";
>
> in your '$(HOME)/.octaverc' which is my preferred setting as this
> avoids a lot misunderstanding by me and you are free to write
> vectors/matrices with a layout which is best to your taste.
>
> The problem are some '[1 2 3]' vectors/matrices.  If you change them
> to '[1, 2, 3]' all works fine.

OK, I have made that change in the sources. In the "near" future I will
make a new release with those changes and new functions. They will be
soon available by cvs. Look at 'http://merlin.inescn.pt/~qual'

> Maybe this note helps others.

nice!

Joao